Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 20.11.2004, 11:43 AM
This forum member lives here

Jasedee -This user testimony is the most acurate and unbiased Ive read....and it reflects my opinion as well. See what you guys think:

"As mentioned in another thread, I got a demo Andromeda from our local distributor for a 10 day tryout. I'd like to share with you my opinions about this synthesizer. Since so much has already been said.

PROs: 1) Sound. Yes! You heard it before and you will hear it again from me. This synth sounds fantastic. I have a Rev3.3 Prophet5 right next to it and it doesn't need to shy away from any comparison to that classic polysynth. On the contrary -I _prefer_ the Andy to the Prophet5! Don't believe the dissers. This is right on the money. 2) User interface. Some people say it's clumsy, but I took to it like a duck to water. I never had to refer to the user manual not one time, even when setting up complex modulations. 3) Sound engine. The Andy has probably the most comprehensive voice architecture ever realized on an analogue synthesizer -monophonic or polyphonic. The versatility is just breathtaking.

CONS: ...Well, here we go with some rather depressing issues... 1) build quality: The aluminium chassis is good and the keyboard too. But the smaller pots are disconcertingly wobbly. They don't inspire much confidence physically. All in all, it doesn't seem to be built to last long. 2) Polyphonic voice management is buggy. Voice stealing doesn't work properly, which means that you cannot play nice polyphonic patches with lots of sustain pedal without running into problems. This is a _substantial_ impediment in live performace, and a serious issue for me as a performer. 3) The modulation engine update frequency (100Hz) intermodulates with the audio path when doing fast PWM, pitch modulation of synced oscs and some other things, thereby generating a disconcertingly audible hum at 100Hz. The hum gets _shockingly_ loud when switching the engine optimizer to "superfast envs", as the LFO calculations consequently run even less smooth. The "smooth PWM" setting helps a bit but not that much. Conclusion: Fast PWM pads are an impossibility except if you filter out the hum with the HP filter1. This is very bad. 3) Many other minor bugs (ENV delay stage etc.), which are a tedious but not as basic and serious as having a 100Hz hum at approx. -12dB (!) when doing fast PWM, or playing a key and no sound coming out (bad voice stealing).

CONCLUSION: All in all, it's a mixed bag. On the one hand, my hat is off to Alesis. The hardware solution of the audio path (the ASIC technology) is groundbreaking and fantastic. The sound is awesome for a sixteen voice analogue polysynth and the flexibility is unrivalled in this domain. All this makes it even more frustrating to see such an achievement being flawed by subsequent corner-cutting (cheap pots and buttons, too slow modulation CPU) and a never-to-be-finalized OS with some crippling issues.

I don't know yet if I will buy one. Especially the PWM hum and polyphony management is really bad. Otherwise I'm totally in love with this synth. We see..."

Taken from SonicState (GAS thread)

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 20.11.2004, 11:57 AM

hmm not much point to a nice sounding synth if the knobs fall off

i am even more intrigued by the sound of this thing now (pro5 comparisons? 8O )

but a hum of -12db coming from any instrument is just unacceptable

thanks for posting that review DS
Old 20.11.2004, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting that DS.....

I guess I really need to spend some time with both Ti and A6 to really know how I feel about them.....

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 20.11.2004, 02:23 PM

To put it into perspective, there are *alot* of people very happy with their A6's. Every synth has some problems....but I tend to believe that simple vintage poly's have far fewer.

Some people say the A6 sounds crap....I dont subscribe to that. I think it sounds very nice and full. Not as warm as classic analog poly's....but still very satisfying. The Virus is very warm for a VA...but the A6 *is* warmer.

I think on balance, the Virus represents the very best nearly analog polysynth (for reasonable money). Its a real tough one, I have use of two classic vintage analog poly's....and i dont need another....hence the TI.

Glad you found that review useful

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 21.11.2004, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garym
lets all have a virus orgy hehehe
But HC's virus is better equiped than mine

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 22.11.2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garym
lets all have a virus orgy hehehe
But HC's virus is better equiped than mine
True, but the self lubing funtion I have connected to the mod-matrix is starting to play up a little.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 22.11.2004, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
True, but the self lubing funtion I have connected to the mod-matrix is starting to play up a little.
Perhaps we need to employ some 'Korg Fluffers' to assist....

Old 23.11.2004, 04:00 AM

Sounds cool!!!!

Old 23.11.2004, 05:39 AM

hey garym
i do webdesign/graphics/animation....
but sorry my services are not free (i am qualified and i have to eat
)
i offer competitive rates (sorry for the semi-ad here guys!) - but if you dont want to spend anything maybe you have something to trade (the days of my free web design are over...)

you can see a couple of pieces at my deviant art page (theres a link in my profile). they are pretty average examples i have on there, but if you are interested i could show you some other stuff.

anyways pm me if you are interested
Old 23.11.2004, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
(theres a link in my profile)
Hows about a link in your signiture?

(Dont mean to be pushy )