Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 12.03.2014, 05:42 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Need help identifying classic dance song

This is an old song, I'm not sure how old, I'm gonna say 2000-ish. Heard it in a strip club several nights ago and the title is on the tip of my tongue (female vocalist says the title in the song but the DJ was playing a remix was that was all chopped up). It drives me nuts when I can't remember a song title/artist, I can't stop until I figure it out. I've conceded I need assistance to ID the song. Hopefully these two hooks will be enough for someone to recognize it and help me out.

I played two parts here... don't judge these clips in any way as I did not quantize or make any effort for it to sound good, I just played it enough to give the idea. I just grabbed a quick patch here but the lead riff is played with a house-chord sound in the real song, and the smaller riff is an arpy acid sound that finalizes the lead in the last bar in the real song.

Cannot remember this fucking title to save my life or the artist and have no better idea how to figure it out than to give examples. I think the title is four words long. HELP!

http://www.filedropper.com/mysterymeat0

http://www.filedropper.com/mysterymeat1

Also if anyone has a better idea on how to share these easily without registration etc. let me know. I tried uploading them directly and the forum didn't like it.
Old 13.03.2014, 11:16 PM

I'm getting the impression this is going to be harder than I thought.

Here's another thought -- anyone have any thoughts on how to identify the song? Methods? Websites? any tips appreciated.

Usually I know some of the lyrics which of course makes it dead easy to dig up a song title, but when you can only tap out part of the groove, and you don't know if folks are taking the time to listen to the sound clips, this can be a tough exercise. I'm also wondering if it would make a difference if I played the lead using a patch that sounds more like the real track instead of just trying to convey melody? If you can try to imagine the mysterymeat0 clip with a detuned/warbley house chord sound instead of an acidy delayed sound like I used.

I've visually scanned a few lists of classic dance hits (it was a fairly popular song) but nothing jumped out at me yet. I'm probably going to take the question in front of a broader audience if no takers here, but I was having fun with the iconic riff thread so I thought why not.
Old 22.03.2014, 10:43 PM

ok, question, did ANYONE who listened to the sound clips at least think to themselves "yeah I've heard the song but I can't name it"?

I'm wondering if I need to do the lead properly using a patch similar to the original, just to make it recognizable.

I didn't want to sit down and create something that sounded like the actual house chord warble lead because it's kind of unique and might be challenging to recreate convincingly, but then I realized the sound I used (which does sound like the secondary acid portion of the lead but a lot more reverby/delayed) might be throwing folks off.

I'm thinking about posting the question to a wider audience somewhere else after I re-do the lead. I won't stop until I figure this out. Lol.
Old 04.05.2014, 05:23 AM

Still unidentified. If unsolved, the quest won't die until I do

There may be hope. I was not aware of the new channel "Utopia" on SiriusXM which plays dance hits of the 90s-2ks era, and I think this tune falls in that bucket, so maybe I'll hear it and get a shot at identification.
Old 30.06.2014, 03:30 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

No sample in links!
Old 30.06.2014, 03:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up, it seems file dropper links do expire

Thank god I saved that zip as I would have never been motivated to sit down and tap that one out again. It was fresh in my head at the time, I have not heard it since but have still been looking for it.

Hopefully this link will work?

Be sure to download the one with the captcha, this sharing sites and their fake download links..

http://www.filedropper.com/mysterymeat_2

I wonder how long ago that expired. Someone please reply to alert me in case the link isn't available and I'll figure out a better way to post it.
Old 02.07.2014, 06:33 PM
Pro
Pro

Listened to both - not a cuckkoo, don't sound at all familar

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 02.07.2014, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I have no clue as to the ID. I was quite active in listening to dance music at that time, but doesn't ring any bells.

However I've uploaded them for you. Use at will (elsewhere on the net if wished). Converted them to MP3 for quick access, given that sonic fidelity isn't an issue.

http://infekted.org/files/MBTC-MysteryMeat0.mp3
http://infekted.org/files/MBTC-MysteryMeat1.mp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I'm also wondering if it would make a difference if I played the lead using a patch that sounds more like the real track instead of just trying to convey melody? If you can try to imagine the mysterymeat0 clip with a detuned/warbley house chord sound instead of an acidy delayed sound like I used.
Guess it may be easier if the style of the sounds were in a similar ball park, if they aren't already.

House chord, can you remember if they used an interval (3rd, 5th, 7th?)
Old 02.07.2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Sounds vaguely familiar but got nothing, will suggest getting the free app for your smartphone Gsound. I use it all the time to identify tracks that are playing in public places it works pretty good. Either that or stop stuffing dollar bills into the strippers G-string for one second & go ask the DJ
Old 02.07.2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Sorry, I have no clue as to the ID. I was quite active in listening to dance music at that time, but doesn't ring any bells.

However I've uploaded them for you. Use at will (elsewhere on the net if wished). Converted them to MP3 for quick access, given that sonic fidelity isn't an issue.

http://infekted.org/files/MBTC-MysteryMeat0.mp3
http://infekted.org/files/MBTC-MysteryMeat1.mp3

Guess it may be easier if the style of the sounds were in a similar ball park, if they aren't already.

House chord, can you remember if they used an interval (3rd, 5th, 7th?)
Thanks for the uploads, that will save me some recurring hassle for sure.

I'm trying to play back that warble sound in my mind. I called it a house chord at the time but in retrospect I'm not sure now. I don't think it was an interval, it just had such an LFO warble on it that it almost sounds like a chord. I could be wrong about that. The DJ may have also been playing a remix that was a little different from the original, that's one reason I wanted to focus on the melodies more than the synth sounds.

Until I hear it again or something jogs my memory, those files are probably better than any recollection I could offer. I almost think if I tried to remember too much detail about it, I might get details wrong all these months later and make it even harder to figure out.