Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.04.2011, 12:59 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Could someone please explain how to create this kind of sound?

Hi,

Could someone please explain how to create this kind of sound?
@1:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzRfjbmZ7iw

Thank you.
Old 11.04.2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Very detuned (actually dissonant) pack of saws or PWM-stacks.
Old 11.04.2011, 04:06 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L View Post
Very detuned (actually dissonant) pack of saws or PWM-stacks.
could you please explain some more details? maybe with VC screenshots so I can try some.
thank you
Old 11.04.2011, 10:44 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

that sound sounds as it does as its mainly wet ran through a reverb. It's the use of effects that have given it its character. Oh! and pitch slide.
Old 12.04.2011, 01:03 AM

When I'm going for screechy sounds like that, generally I start with saws, add some hardsync, granular/waveshaping/bitcrush type effects. You basically just want to mangle the sound using a distortive effect, detune it heavily etc. and of course the reverb and compression.

I threw this one together in Zebra2 pretty quickly.. Using 2 oscillators in 11 mode (so 22 altogether..sort of) with heavy unison... I used an effect called Fractalz and Scatter (although they are not a requirement they just help granulize it a little). Then of course add the requisite portamento effect as has already been pointed out. It's not exactly the same but with a little work it could be made to sound almost identical. I don't have a virus at the moment to whip up a patch you can use, but the basics are pretty much the same on any subtractive synth.

Here's my fast and dirty imitation:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mi40z8dih7pug3b
Old 12.04.2011, 08:13 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
When I'm going for screechy sounds like that, generally I start with saws, add some hardsync, granular/waveshaping/bitcrush type effects. You basically just want to mangle the sound using a distortive effect, detune it heavily etc. and of course the reverb and compression.

I threw this one together in Zebra2 pretty quickly.. Using 2 oscillators in 11 mode (so 22 altogether..sort of) with heavy unison... I used an effect called Fractalz and Scatter (although they are not a requirement they just help granulize it a little). Then of course add the requisite portamento effect as has already been pointed out. It's not exactly the same but with a little work it could be made to sound almost identical. I don't have a virus at the moment to whip up a patch you can use, but the basics are pretty much the same on any subtractive synth.

Here's my fast and dirty imitation:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mi40z8dih7pug3b
Thank you for the explanation. unfortunately I can not download the .wav file? the link keeps giving me an error but I will try to reproduce the sound on my TI tonight. I will upload the result soon!
thank you again.
Old 12.04.2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
unfortunately I can not download the .wav file? the link keeps giving me an error
Here is another one, although there's a 45 second wait for the download. If neither that or the previous link are functioning, I'd suggest maybe trying in a different web browser.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4U64GJIB
Old 12.04.2011, 02:05 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Here is another one, although there's a 45 second wait for the download. If neither that or the previous link are functioning, I'd suggest maybe trying in a different web browser.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4U64GJIB
thank you. this link does work.
sounds good! I dont own Zebra2 but maybe you can try this with the TI too?
Old 12.04.2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
thank you. this link does work.
sounds good! I dont own Zebra2 but maybe you can try this with the TI too?
I had a Virus at one time, loved the sound but not the software configuration. I'm sort of waiting to hear that they've made a lot of good progress working the bugs out under 64 bit Windows before I buy again. Do you own any popular softsynths? If you own one that I have, maybe I can whip up a patch in another synth you can use.
Old 12.04.2011, 06:03 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
I had a Virus at one time, loved the sound but not the software configuration. I'm sort of waiting to hear that they've made a lot of good progress working the bugs out under 64 bit Windows before I buy again. Do you own any popular softsynths? If you own one that I have, maybe I can whip up a patch in another synth you can use.
Hi, I also own Sylenth1 and Novation V-Station.
thanx again