Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 13.02.2009, 08:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
So Marc, now that you have officially seen and replied in this thread, what do you personally feel about the option to allow users to insert parts only as needed, keeping the channel list clutter free, yet bigger in size for parts/channels that are in use? Even if not permanently made this way, what are the chances of this being implemented as a manually changeable user option in a future release?

Just hoping that it would be official considered, if nothing else.

Thanks for reading and replying.
a channel with an init sound is compromising any resource as long as you don't play it. if you refer to it visually i think it would be great but i'm not sure how to implement this right now.

best, marc
Old 13.02.2009, 08:10 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

So if you don't use a channel it doesn't use any resource?
Old 14.02.2009, 02:58 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Yes Marc, visually is exactly how I was thinking it would be beneficial as well. I understand that just because the parts are listed, doesn't mean you have to use them. But since no one ever uses all parts, why not have VC load with a blank palette on the left hand side of VC and the user can just add parts as they need them, and only add parts as they need them. I have no clue how to add parts in every DAW, but I love how Cubase starts with a blank work area, and just by right clicking you can select to add a track type, and the number of tracks you would like. Perhaps have something similar in VC where the user just right clicks on the blank area and selects to add a part, or a few at a time by selecting the amount they would like to add. If they want 16 parts then fine, 16 loads and looks just like it looks now. If not, then the parts can be shown larger in size much like they do on the Snow in the Youtube video posted in the first posting in this thread. I am sure you guys can figure it out, afterall, you have gotten much harder things working between the Virus and VC.
Old 14.02.2009, 11:09 AM
aTISHooo!
I am starting to like this forum

Why are you insisting people don't use xx parts, you can't know how most people use thier instrument. I regularly use 4 parts just for 1 sound, and I like having all the MIDI channels available at once in the browser.

Adding MIDI tracks as needed is counter-intuitive, I could just as easily say "please add a feature so people who DON'T use certain MIDI tracks can remove them one at a time"

If it was dynamic, so say as you drop patches onto a blank area it adds new channels ok, but that isnt what you have suggested.
To add MIDI tracks one at a time will certainly slow down my workflow and will not be appreciated as default behaviour!

I see no need for large pan / volume handles as they are already provided within the patch itself, on the hardware unit and of course under automation.
Old 14.02.2009, 12:52 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Like anything my friend, it is a matter of personal preference either way. You seem hell bent on contesting my idea and that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Since you seem to feel I am insisting on things being a certain way, I will no longer share my feelings on this topic and will leave it up to other users whether they agree or not, and will also leave it up to Access themselves whether they wish to implement this idea, in any way, shape or form.
Old 14.02.2009, 01:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totty View Post
So if you don't use a channel it doesn't use any resource?
a channel which doesn't play doesn't eat any CPU time. it can block resources (such as memory) though. therefore i said "with an init sound" because with the init sound, the delay and reverb are disabled.

best, marc
Old 14.02.2009, 04:48 PM
aTISHooo!

I'm not hell bent on anything thanks Cantankerous, but you don't seem to realise that removing the available options stops other users from using the VC the normal way (all options available at once).

However inverting your idea so people can remove existing channels or set a preference doesn't spoil workflow or existing practices.

My only gripe is that a new feature like this would detract from development time for actual sound related features. Considering the GUI is currently the best it has ever been, why fix what isn't broken?
Old 14.02.2009, 05:56 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
a channel which doesn't play doesn't eat any CPU time. it can block resources (such as memory) though. therefore i said "with an init sound" because with the init sound, the delay and reverb are disabled.

best, marc
Thanks Marc, that's clear now.

Michael
Old 14.02.2009, 06:04 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Regarding the unused parts. No one said that other use their synth in a certain way. But if someone can show me a project successfully running more than 8 simultaneous parts id be rather pleased to hear that. It's my experience and others here that it's just not practical to do this due to dsp limitations.

So with that in mind, there isn't much to loose by only showing 4-8 parts initially, with scope to add more if necessary.
Old 14.02.2009, 06:28 PM
aTISHooo!

It's running 16 patches from the moment it boots up.

I use more than 10 TI patches in almost all my projects, I would be interested how many other people use on average.