Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.04.2008, 11:44 AM
New here
New here

Default New Snow owner

Hi

After a few months umming and ahhing, I took the plunge and purchased a Virus Snow after a few weeks waiting for them to be shipped into the UK. I subscribed to this forum the other day, but didn't feel qualified to join in until about 2 and half hours ago my beautifully packaged synth arrived at my door.

I have her unwrapped and sat on my desktop with the software installed on my Mac and I am exploring the soundbanks as I write and a question pops into mind that I am sure a more thorough examination of the manual will answer, but I thought I'd ask here by way of getting involved (now that I am qualified).

I am running Logic 8 and I am experiencing quite a noticeable latency when using Virus Control on all but the very lowest of buffer sizes (32). I am finding this whether monitoring the synth directly from it's analogue outputs or through the USB. If it's of interest I have an RME Fireface 800. Anything stupid I have missed?

Thanks

Simer
Old 19.04.2008, 12:39 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Hi. I was having the same problem too. Good thing you asked otherwise I would not have thought of finding the solution. In Logic,go to Preferences>audio>general. You should see there "Plug-in Delay" adjust the latency setting or check the low latency mode box.
Old 19.04.2008, 12:59 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for your response, but this hasn't done anything for me. That parameter is for plug in delay compensation. I think the way it works is that it gets a report the latency of sending an audio stream through an external DSP plugin and compensates for it on playback. I'm not sure it's relevant to playing an instrument. I could be wrong, but at any rate, it does not improve the situation for me. Did it sort the problem for you then?

Thanks
Old 19.04.2008, 01:12 PM
New here
New here

Hi soulidstate

I answered my own question. Goes to show the importance of reading the available literature. There is a very handy tutorial pdf on the Access website on how to use the TI with Logic 7 which gives the answer. There's a drop down menu in the Devices tab of Logic's Audio preferences page for Process Buffer Range that needs to be set to Small. Job done!

I expect that was a foolish question to most of the users here, but I don't mind looking foolish!!

Thanks again
Old 19.04.2008, 01:33 PM
New here
New here

congrats on your new virus!
and i have to say there are very very rarely any foolish questions,
as a future virus owner who will be using a macpro with logic 8
your question was right on time.
thanks for posting and have a great time
in the snow!

peace
Old 19.04.2008, 04:53 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

No way was this a stupid question!

I just got my Snow on Wednesday and have been blown away to say the least. Let's face it, we are pretty much beta testing this device (or at least 2.7) so any question is valid. As far as I know, there hasn't even been a proper review fom a magazine yet! It's very much a new device so any question is valid.

I'm experiencing several freezes with Ableton Live 7 on my macbook running 10.4.11 once I launch the plug in. The virus ti control shows up but hangs halfway though "initializing". If I power down and reset usually everything is fine.

It doesn't always pay to be first but I have confidence in access that once the release is official we will have a stable OS.

Anyone mess around with Atomizer or the vocoder yet? I still ahven't but plan on spending some time with it later this weekend.
Old 19.04.2008, 09:47 PM
New here
New here

Thanks to both of you for not laughing at me!

While I know what you mean about being guinea pigs for this product I would argue that my issue was one that was not one that was down to new hardware or firmware.

It's taken a while for this product to be available where I am in the UK and I spoke twice with the guy at Access before I got mine. He said that they shipped to Germany first so they could iron out issues that come from the first production run which made sense to me.

I have to say this product is beautifully manufactured. The whole package was fantastically presented even down to the branded gig bag, which if I'm honest is of little real use to me. Opening the box reminded of me of the first time I bought a Power Mac. Access, like Apple appear to put a lot of store in presentation of the product, even down to stickers in the box! I suspect that this eye to detail, along with the sheer quality of the noises are the things that command such customer loyalty.
Old 24.04.2008, 04:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by simer View Post
It's taken a while for this product to be available where I am in the UK and I spoke twice with the guy at Access before I got mine. He said that they shipped to Germany first so they could iron out issues that come from the first production run which made sense to me.
simmer, i've sent you a private mail re. the statement above but didn't get a reply so far. i'd be really interested to learn who said that. frankly, it is plain rubbish. with the quantities we build we have the motherboards way before the units ship and the motherboard is pretty much the only thing that could be prone to such a problem. the motherboards come in quantities so even if we would know that something is wrong we couldn't simply change it in a couple of days.

would you mind telling us who gave you this info?

thanks, marc
access music
Old 24.04.2008, 08:17 PM
New here
New here

Hi

Sorry, I didn't realise that you'd sent me a private message. I will email a reply.

To be honest, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything improper going on. The implication made to me was that as a German company it would be easier to ship first within Germany. I thought this was perfectly reasonable and was told that they would be shipping in April into the UK (as they did).

I was never told there were likely to be problems with the manufacturing and I certainly hope that nobody thought I was saying that. Please accept my apologies if you feel I've impinged Access' reputation. I have found my Snow to be beautifully manufactured and I am extremely happy with it!
Old 25.04.2008, 07:28 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by simer View Post
Please accept my apologies if you feel I've impinged Access' reputation. I have found my Snow to be beautifully manufactured and I am extremely happy with it!
no harm done at all - no worries

have a good weekend

marc