Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.05.2009, 11:46 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by civan View Post
I was just wondering something. I know that in Cubase 5 we are currently unable to use the Virus input plugin to send audio through USB.

However, if I were to setup Atmizer for example, in cubase as an external effect in Cubase. Should I be able to accomplish this by routing the Virus Input and one of its outputs to my soundcard?

I should be able to then set one of the 16 channels in VC to accept the analog input and then setup the analog output. Correct?
Yes, you can. You will just need to adjust the delay of the external effect so that you don't hear the latency. It's kind of a pain to get setup, but once it's all done it works very well and super easy to use.
Old 20.05.2009, 03:02 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynth View Post
you can use the analog input to the virus and the analog outputs out of the virus into your soundcard for using the atomizer, effeckts... in cubase

i tested this, i think its too complicated to set it up right and also to use it in your workflow

it´s much easier and more fun to use it with the usb in with ableton for example

i really hope steinberg will bring that sidechain feature for vst instruments, also posted in the steinberg forum here in this topic http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtop...16034&start=30

Sidechain audio input support on VST Instruments Please

Anyone who is using Cubase please also post in that thread and vote "Steinberg have our dosh & support give us what we need please"

Any Plans for making a VST Effeckts only Plugin for the Virus? Could that work with sidechain then?
This is exactly what I would LOVE to see. An FX version that strips out the engine manipulation portion of Virus Control. Have it contain only the 2 FX tabs, and whatever else could be used to process external audio routed into it. This would be great for processing without worrying about it not working due to it looking as if it is still a VSTi running.
Old 20.05.2009, 04:57 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Virus used as external effect when used in USB mode with VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Yeh View Post
Yes, you can. You will just need to adjust the delay of the external effect so that you don't hear the latency. It's kind of a pain to get setup, but once it's all done it works very well and super easy to use.
I tried to get this setup last night. I couldn't get it to work. I'm pretty sure I selected the the right inputs and outputs for the Virus as an external FX. When I loaded the input for the external effect on the master channel, all sound was cut off. I went into virus control and setup 3 outputs and 1 input. (Here I got a message that side chaining feature was not supported in my daw, but I was still able to enable it.) Then in the FX page I set the input to L&R. No sound. I tried different input presets from the browser and that didn't work. I also tried turning on the Atomizer and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions? Or could someone try this in Cubase 5? Thanks.
Old 20.05.2009, 08:40 PM
Infektion taking hold...

^^ Until the instrument sidechaining feature is enabled in Cubase, you won't ever use the 3out/1in setting in the Virus. Just leave it on 3out/0in. You should get back sound after that.
Old 21.05.2009, 04:00 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Problems with virus analog lines while in VC mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Yeh View Post
^^ Until the instrument sidechaining feature is enabled in Cubase, you won't ever use the 3out/1in setting in the Virus. Just leave it on 3out/0in. You should get back sound after that.
So last night I took your advice and it did work. I also realized that even though my cabling was correct, the settings for my T.C. Near (using Studio Konnekt 48 ) were also wrong.

So after I got a signal going through the virus I was able to choose patches and I was able to play with the FX section and Filters. There are a few problems at first though. The signal going through the virus was not the same as the bypass signal, even when I used an init patch. Later I realized that the Boost setting in the Virus config was distorting the input signal. I was able to fix that. For some reason the Atomizer was working; all I got was the channel signal going straight through the virus. [Note that I used the Virus as an external input fx on my song's master channel.]

Another problem: even though the only channel out of 16 in VC was outputing the input signal to analog output 2 L/R, in NEARs direct monitoring I was getting a duplicate signal in analog output 1 L/R also.... weird.

Overall I wasn't too happy with the experience. Even with a clean signal going through the virus I was still getting some sound artifacts (like pops and clicks) which are not present in the bypass signal.

I hope someone at Access can make something of this information. I would eventually like to get a snow to use as a dedicated FX processor for my studio and also for on the go with my DJM-800 but not anytime soon.

Last edited by civan : 26.05.2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 25.05.2009, 04:16 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

When it works in CB you'll be reveling it! I use it in Logic lots, one of the best features they sorted with VC. I seem to try and process all sorts of material through the TI, it gives the sound something other plugins just can't.

Cheers.