Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.10.2015, 10:25 AM
Definately caught something...
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

Default Virus TI 2 and CUbase 8

Hi Folks

Does anyone here have a Virus TI and Cubase 8?

I can't seem to figure out how to make multiple tracks using Cubase 8. Cubase 6 was fine.

I can get the virus working with one channel (adding an instrument track). I can add another instrument channel to get a second layer but it seems that you can only have one instrument rack for the virus.

-Fordy

Gear: Access Virus KC, Arturia Matrix Brute, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Nord Lead A1, Roland V-Synth GT 2, Behringer DM 12, Korg Krome, Spark LE.

FX:
Behringer 3DFX2000, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, Lexicon MX400.

My synth videos on Youtube
Old 19.10.2015, 03:50 PM
This forum member lives here

I'm using a TI Snow in Cubase 8, but just a disclaimer first: I typically use one instrument at a time and bounce to audio, the reasons being mainly that the Snow only has one pair of analog outs, and also I don't like having to worry about processing limits of the Snow. For that reason I don't use the method below, but if you are successfully using USB and are happy with the latency and such, then this should work for you:

- Start a new project
- Hit F11 then add the plugin as an instrument rack
- Say yes to create MIDI track
- Right click on the MIDI track that was created, choose Add Track > MIDI and before they are created increase the track count to 3.
- Put three different sounds in the first three slots of the Virus plugin

You should hear those three sounds when you activate each MIDI track. If you need to activate more outputs, right click on the topmost slot. The MIDI track numbering will be off by one compared to the patch number in VC but that's easily corrected by renaming (you can create a template to make that permanent).

Hopefully this is what you're asking..
Old 20.10.2015, 12:13 PM
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

hi MBTC

Thanks for the reply

That certainly worked but only to a certain extent. Yes both tracks now sound but only on their individual midi tracks and even then only by clicking my mouse on the piano roll editor keyboard. none of the inputs available to me (including the 'All Midi Inputs') actually let me play the virus either as a layered patch or play individual patches. I have both a USB and midi cables attached.

I might revert to an earlier version of the Virus OS that might help. My Pc is freezing when I try to connect through the stand alone maintenance program, the one that lets you update and save banks.

Many thanks for your help!

-Fordy

Gear: Access Virus KC, Arturia Matrix Brute, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Nord Lead A1, Roland V-Synth GT 2, Behringer DM 12, Korg Krome, Spark LE.

FX:

Old 20.10.2015, 04:16 PM

If I understand correctly, you want just want to hear multiple parts played as one? The quick and flexible way is just to enable monitoring on the track so that you hear them (quick) by clicking the speaker icon on each track, and copy the MIDI data to the tracks you want the final output on (flexible). Most folks would want that flexibility, because for example sending automation to one part, then sending the exact same MIDI data to a second part (which is programmed to respond differently to that MIDI data) would not make much sense. So copying the MIDI notes to the individual tracks gives you a lot of flexibility in what to do with each part beyond just the note data itself (modifying individual velocity or other data as it makes sense for that part).

The alternative would be to change the MIDI channel of each patch to the same one the initial MIDI track is assigned to. If you find out how to do that one please let me know! lol.. I can't see that Virus Control lets you do this at all at least on the Snow version of the plugin, which I thought was odd. I'm pretty sure this can be done in multi-mode but it won't let me go there while VC is active.

Another workaround if you really wanted this is to do something with MIDI sends. I don't know if Cubase does this out of the box but there are plugins that let you forward MIDI data from one to another.
Old 20.10.2015, 09:47 PM
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

Hi MBTC

Thanks for the reply

I have reverted to 4.5.3.00 and it all appears to be fine now and I can even play or record both tracks at once with the keyboard. Before i could only do it on the piano roll with the mouse.

The only odd thing is the output routing showing 01.Virus TI - Midi In. I can't see that listed in Devices > Device Setup and in Device Manager (Windows 7) the Virus TI Audio 2.9.49 driver says it can't start. Either way it appears to be working fine now so I'm happy.

Many thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture-01.jpg (89.1 KB, 4 views)

-Fordy

FX:

Old 20.10.2015, 10:17 PM

Must say I'm a bit confused, but if you've got things working the way you like then congrats!

One thing I will mention after seeing your screenshot: I'm not sure if you've looked at the Cubase tutorial (click question mark in VC, then tutorials then Steinberg Cubase). A few pages down it says please don't use the default ports provided by the driver named "Virus TI MIDI" or "Virus TI Synth", with an explanation (timing and delay compensation) as to why.

But, if it's doing what you want it to do then....?
Old 20.10.2015, 10:36 PM
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

Hi MBTC

thanks for the head's up on that!

I'm reading the Cubase setup tutorial and I see what you mean. that said, I have no other options to choose from.

I'll just have to see how it goes and at least I can use it now

Many thanks!

-Fordy

FX:

Old 09.11.2017, 04:35 PM
New here
New here

Hi there, im sort of on the same problem as the first user fordy.

In Cubase 6 i could load the Virus in VST instruments byt choosing one instance and then adding 16 midi tracks and get the polar to have 16 parts of multi timbral.

Now im on Cubase 8, 8.5 and 9 the ability to have more than one polar channel is not available.

So channel 1 polar and midi cahnnel one work fine.

Polar 2 and midi 2 do not work, as the other 15 dont.

Strangely enough if i open a Cubase 6 project into cubase 8 or above everything is ok.

Its the ability to create from a newer version that vanishes.

Ive tried duplicating the channel and changing the midi, but no dice.

Any help appreciated, i have a one channel box at the moment.
Old 13.11.2017, 06:19 PM
Infektion taking hold...

It definitely works in Cubase 9. I do it all the time. But It does not work with an Intrument track.

You have to create a rack instrument and then 16 MIDI tracks and connect them to the rack instrument.
Old 16.11.2017, 03:29 PM
New here
New here

HI, thanks for reply, so i used to go to vst intruments and choose the virus and then it would open and then it would ask how many channels i want, so i would put 16.

Can you be a little more precise with the actual work through?

Obviously i have to open the vst intruments polar.

Then what?