Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 12.06.2006, 07:40 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Yeah, I agree with the envelope shapes. It can be helpful (occasionally) but less often used. Z3ta+ has the same but its not often used, even in the demo presets.

My K2000VP has multiple attack and decay breakpoints but the whole problem with that machine was that EVERYTHING was menu driven. Talk about taking a long ass time to do something! It would literally take at least 10 minutes to go through the steps just to setup a straight unfiltered saw wave to keytrack across the board... ! Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit but it did take ages to program that thing, and to go back and forth between params was very laborious. It was far worse than any softsynth, including something like Moog Modular or Arp 2600 clones with patch cabling.

This is where I expect the A6 to really shine, the menu-jumping feature and the fact that most of the oft-used stuff appeared to be on knobs anyway about made me shit my pants. It really looks like a joy to program, especially coming from softsynth+mouse and pain in the ass Kurzweil-V.A.S.T.-menu-overload programming.

I read the full manual and it was well-written and the A6 looks to be one of the easier things to program (that I've seen) I just hope I can put it to good use as I am not much of a musician and much more of a tech-head than anything else.

What sequencer do you use?
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707
Old 12.06.2006, 07:59 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Phillips
What sequencer do you use?
Logic Pro 7.2.1
Old 14.07.2006, 04:39 PM

So, the 15th nears and I go looking for an A6... NONE TO BE FOUND!

I get about 12 emails back over the week from various places and everyone is either backordered into August or September, and some shops have been waiting for A6s that were supposed to be received back in January.

It is apparently very hard to find these right now; something must be jacked up with production or they just aren't bothering to make too many of them.

I did however find one after quite a bit of searching, and it should be here next week.

BTW, how do you like that SH-101?
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707
Old 20.07.2006, 07:39 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
So, the 15th nears and I go looking for an A6... NONE TO BE FOUND!

I get about 12 emails back over the week from various places and everyone is either backordered into August or September, and some shops have been waiting for A6s that were supposed to be received back in January.
I've noticed this too. I guess it might be something to do with the new EU law which forbids using lead in soldering process and in any electronic components (and a6 has lots of them). If any of the a6's ASIC's have lead inside, alesis should put plenty of money to alter the parts to be able to sell the synth in EU. Another reason for this might be that alesis is just fading the great synth away.

Quote:
BTW, how do you like that SH-101?
I love it. It can produce some really nice sounds.
Old 20.07.2006, 08:45 PM

Just got the Andy about an hour ago. A total monster it is!
__
Old 20.07.2006, 11:32 PM
This forum member lives here

I for one am Jealous Keith!

Have fun. Lucky bastard....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 21.07.2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Congrats!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 21.07.2006, 02:06 AM

Ditto! Definitely shoot out some demos once you get your head around it!
Old 21.07.2006, 06:25 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Great to hear that you found one! I suggest that you spend alot of time with the synth before judging it. Taking my andy out of the box and turning the power on was one of my greatest moments ever. At first I was impressed just because the synth is so big and has so many knobs and buttons and that it is analog and the filters sound great. However the a6 wasn't my master keyboard and I usually don't program synths much which aren't in front of me when I'm working so I didn't program many sounds with a6 and almost decided to sell it! . Then I sold my master keyb (virus KC, another mistake! :P ) and began using a6 as a master keyb and programmed lots of sounds with it and now I could never ever sell it.

The a6 is one of the best synths out there and I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Btw, I've recently been interested in Virus TI keyb. I really would like to have one as my master keyb because it has even better keyboard action than the a6 (which is already good) but I want to be sure that the synth really works also in standalone mode. I hear the desktops working better than keyboards but I would really like to have the keyb.
Old 21.07.2006, 06:58 PM

Yea I've only used it for a few hours its rather complex. I haven't touched much of the mod parts of it I'm sure that is one of the biggest parts of programming it. I can't come close to any of those demo sounds yet. :P
__