Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 01.02.2011, 04:43 PM
New here
New here

Default Looking to get a Virus but.......

Hi all, I need some advice before dropping my $ on a Virus. I have two concerns.

1. "TI" mode causes latency.
2. Snow vs the Desktop version.

I am considering buying the Virus Ti desktop and have been reading some of the posts here to see what feedback user's are giving. I used to own a Virus B so as far as the "sound" and editing patches I absolutely love the Virus. My concern is reading about latency issues. After reading I am under the impression the "TI" may need a bit more work as some user's are not even using the Virus in "TI" mode due to latency (midi playability and audio). Ok, I can do away with using the Virus in TI mode as I would be running the outputs of the Virus to my audio interface, sampling its outputs into Abelton Live. My concern is, will I have the same latency problems using the Virus as an audio interface (using both the inputs and outs)? Will there be latency there as well? I understand "playing" the Virus in TI mode will cause the latency. I am planning to run the audio out from my DAW, thru the Virus, to its outputs so I can record/sample my DAW, VST's as well as the Virus into my (hardware) sampler which then I will import the samples into Live.

There are post's I'm reading where users are using the Virus in "TI" mode without any problems.. which seems to be a bit confusing and trying to figure out why some users do not experience the latency issue's. Any thoughts? (or links?)

My second question is to buy the Snow or the Dsktop version?. I loved editing on the Virus b but, giving the possibility that i may not even be using the virus in "TI" mode and that I will be sampling its outputs I am considering buying the Snow... But... is editing on the Snow a tedious process? I am trying to stay away from my computer screen as much as possible and would like to do most of my programming, editing and recording "sweeps", knob movements from the hardware rather than the software. Obviously the desktop version would be a more suitable choice for me, however I am willing to some "menu digging" on the Snow as it will save me a few hundred if its not a tedious and uninspiring process.. any thoughts?

Lastly, I rarely keep up with synthesizer manufactures and its latest new gear/synth. ...what are the possibilities of Access releasing a new synth line in the near future?

Thank you!
Old 06.02.2011, 06:46 AM
New here
New here

I might suggest you go back to the Virus B. No latency - lots of knobs. I love mine!

The snow has less features and you'll be chained to the computer to program it

But it is very attractive and small
Old 07.02.2011, 05:14 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
The snow has less features and you'll be chained to the computer to program it
really? It has less features? I must be reading the wrong reviews and user posts, as my understanding is that the TI's have more features. weird. And also read some reviews
that say programming the Snow is not as bad is it may seem giving the "macro" like knobs on the panel.....

help? anyone?

I can bypass using the TI mode, but would like to know if I can run my audio from my computer to the virus to my speakers... would that be an issue too?

thanks again.
Old 07.02.2011, 07:52 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

No it's wrong. The Snow has the same engine features that the other TI models, i.e. quite a bit more than the earlier Virus models.
Old 07.02.2011, 08:16 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Wink

Latency is always an issue, it depends how sensitive you are.

I hate latency, if you cant hear it, you can certainly feel it when playing the keyboard and the sound does not respond direct.

You have to learn how to live with it, strange that Access did not put the fastest USB 2.0 in it or at least an upgrade to it now?

I am in the same position as you, Desktop or Snow.

Actually I had a Virus TI Keyboard a long time ago when it was quite new and I sold it just after a few month because of the buggs it had (TI mode) with Logic and Live.

I have a fear that Midi does not work as it should, I have read some post about it here.

The Virus TI series is quite sensitive to your computer setup and other gear connected to USB.

I think they are going to release a new synth at summer Namm or at least a Virus TI with Full speed USB.

It is time for that now because TI has bugs from the start and it is not quite bug free yet, 2005-2011 just read the Trouble with your Access Virus forum.

The other questions is not for me to answer because I do not know.

I am thinking of buying a Virus C Desktop or KC and wait for a new TI from Access.

Love the sound but I cant have a synth with sluggish midi, sloppy Arpeggiator and other timing problems.

Good luck man!