Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 18.02.2010, 04:46 PM
New here
New here

Default Looking to purchase - newbie question time !

Hello guys - I posted this on Access's forum but was ignored. Story of my life ...

Anyway, you've probably read a few of these types of questions before, but if anyone has the willpower to go through it again, here we go ...

I am a 37 year old bedroom hobbiest 'musician', based in the UK and am very close to getting a Ti2 Desktop - but as I don't hold any aspirations of making a penny back for my tunes, it would be a fairly big investment.

I know you are all going to laugh at me, but I'm a proud FL Studio user and won't be moving to anything else soon, as I get on well with it - so save your mocking. But I heard rumours on their forums (from a while ago) that the Access software was not 64bit compatable yet.

Although I do see some drivers on this site now, can somewhere here confirm that they are running the VSTi software (whatever it is called) with Windows 7 64 bit without any glitches.

Also, I'm a little confused about the limitations of voices via USB 2.0 versus Midi etc. If anyone could explain what to expect or point me in the right direction, that would be helpful. Just so you know, I have a very small bedroom setup - a good PC with USB 2.0, Edirol PCR-500 controller, Genelec monitors and a small Lexicon U22 interface with only a couple of inputs and one midi in and one midi out (everything has been softsynth until now and I don't plan on getting any other hardware, so I'm happy) ... just so you know the level of 'noob' you are dealing with here

Does anyone have any comments about Desktop versus Full Keyboard .. i'm using my Edirol PCR-500 controller at the moment and my thinking is that money can always be spent on better controllers in the future ... just wondered what you're thoughts were. Space is a bit of an issue, although I do like the feel of a proper keyboard. Hmmm.

Finally - any comments ... I guess you are all happy with your Virus purchases, but any pitfalls for the newbie?

I realise it's a lot of questions, but I'm sure some kind soul will want to pass on their experiences ... I'm sure £1.5k was a lot of money to a few people here so you realise why I want to seperate the facts from the Virus myths and hype.

So anything is really appreciated ... I've got an unused bass guitar and a GT-6B bass fx pedal to sell and I'm pretty much there for cash ... i've wanted one for about 12 months now and the urge is too strong

Thanks,
Old 18.02.2010, 04:53 PM
New here
New here

Rats - wrong forum. Should be in the General Virus forum.

I am the king of fail today.
Old 18.02.2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerSteel View Post
Rats - wrong forum. Should be in the General Virus forum.

I am the king of fail today.
Moved. And Welcome!
Old 18.02.2010, 07:46 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

@ SpencerSteel

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The VIRUS TI has a lot of qualities and has become a monster synth with a lot of capabilities but also with some tricks.

So, first of all you have to see the VIRUS TI not only as a synth but also as an audiointerface (soundcard), hardware controller for softsynth and a keyboard (if you take the POLAR or KEYBOARD version).

Don't worry about FL it's a good sequencer and you don't really need a ProTools system at all to do music. The new OS version of the VIRUS is now 64-bit and WIN 7 compatible, so no real problem there. For your info OS4 is on the way so I think there will be less problems for compatibility.

To say that something is working without problems is difficult to answer then there are many factors involved. But there is a very good support center at ACCESS and they will help you out when your gear is not working properly. This is really rare to have such a good support.

So now back the the synth itself, the VIRUS TI. As a bedroom musician you need somthing compact but still with a good sound. My thought would be that you get the VIRUS TI 2 Keyboard (61 keys). The reason is that with one keyboard you have a full keyrange (61 keys) in addition to the knobs, which all other versions have. If space is really small then get a POLAR.
So, if you don't plan any other hardware keyboards/syths so with the VIRUS TI 2 KEYBOARD (61 keys) or POLAR (37 keys) are those you need

With the VIRUS you don't really need the Edirol PCR-500 controller or Lexicon U22 interface, it's already in the VIRUS. And this is nice, just a three in one piece. But it's up to you to add other devices you need or have.

The VIRUS for me is one of the best synth I every had and I won't miss it anymore. There are more than 7000 sound patches ready for the VIRUS and more at your fingers when using the VC VST plug-in for full access to sounddesign you own sound even from scratch.

I hope this was a help and good luck.

Cheers
Old 18.02.2010, 08:33 PM
New here
New here

That was an excellent post - I never thought of the Virus as a "3 in 1", you've presented that really well for me. Thank you.

I was thinking desktop with midi controller, but now you've got me thinking ...

Anyone else ?
Old 19.02.2010, 01:29 AM
Pro
Pro

If you can afford it get a KB - I have a Polar and miss being able to play it fully without having to use transpose all the time.

Don't worry too much about FL - lots of people produce in there and get crazy results - if you make good songs you will overcome limitations anyway.

I bought a TI Polar and I have never looked back - really love it, learnt a shitload of synthesis that has helped with using VST synths, and getting professional warm tones in a track without really any external fx required.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 19.02.2010, 08:20 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I feel the same way about the 37 vs 61 keys but the polar does fit nicely next to a laptop on a desk. Whiteout keyboard version and black polar versions would be nice. If you can buy only one synth though, buy a TI. It does everything you would need and sounds amazing. 16 parts multy timbral it will literally do a whole track by itself without having to bounce it down to audio all the time(poliphany permitting).
Old 20.02.2010, 10:37 AM
New here
New here

Well - you boys have convinced me to get the full TI keyboard ... i was thinking about a Desktop used with a controller but thinking about it, the full weighted keyboard will be great ... might take me another few weeks to get the money but i'm now convinced.

Good to hear from 2 Polar users who say they wish they had a full keyboard - that was my fear too.

Mind made up: TI2 Keyboard it is.

Thanks so much - gimme a month and i'll be back ...

S.S.
Old 13.03.2010, 05:14 PM
New here
New here

Deposit paid - should be here around the 16th !! Also ordered Omnisphere, Trillion and Stylus RMX.

Very excited !

The next post from me will as as a proud Ti2 Keyboard owner (probably confused as hell!)

S.S.
Old 15.03.2010, 08:17 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Thumbs up

I have the Virus TI 2 61 Key and yes it is totally worth the wait. Get it and don't look back. One thing! Don't forget it! Try to deal out a price, no one just pops in and buys a TI 2. Who ever you are buying from, make sure to call and make sure it is on a serious note.... say "look, I am about to purchase a Virus TI and I need you to cut me a deal, other stores are giving it for a lower price because it doesn't sell because of the hefty price tag, it's obvious look at the price that should explain things. Make me the best deal you guys can... if you can't than I will simple take my business else where." Make sure it is real cut and dry. Most likely the place will be able to take probably 200 - 300 dollars off. I was able to get 400 off my brand new TI 2, same price as a open boxed Virus TI 2 which I got for 2,500. Use this technique you will most likely get a deal.