Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21.11.2012, 01:55 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Firewire's on its way out (try buy a laptop with one now, or even a desktop PC, your choice is very limited).

USB is a stalwart and here to stay. USB v3 is fully back compatible with earlier versions. USB v3 is also forward-compatible, allowing USB v3 devices to be used on older USB v2 ports (albeit at USB v2 speeds).

Thunderbolt is still seemingly fairly elusive, unless you're using Apple stuff, otherwise it's still not mainstream, a niche market.

All comes down to cost. Firewire was technically superior to USB, but firewire was deemed a premium product and USB won the battle overall because of cost - the lower cost of both the interfaces and separate devices. Again, Thunderbolt is superior to USB v3, but USB will win again, due to cost and relevancy to the userbase. If you need speeds that require Thunderbolt, odds on your usage is deemed a 'niche' thing compared to average people's usage.

For relevancy, compatibility and cost, USB is still the best bet to target most users as possible. If Access need more bandwidth, then a USB v2 HighSpeed chipset is needed (instead of the Full Speed chipset they've used in the TIs), or USB v3.
Yeah I agree, firewire's days are numbered but so is usb. The latest macbook pro's sport 2 usb 3 ports & 2 thunderbolt ports & flash drives. The only reason the usb ports are there are to plug your mouse or flash drive in. If you use it to connect to a large display, audio interface or whatever why would you use the usb ports on a computer that can go way faster than the usb bandwith & have the faster thunderbolt option?
I really dont think thunderbolt is a 'niche' market (apple computers are not a niche market, everyone I know uses them) & everyone wants there computer set up to run faster & more efficiently & the old technology will go the way of all old technology. Who knows what is next but the future connectivity is not usb as far as I can see. Even at 3 thunderbolt still smokes it.
Just my experienced 2c.