Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 18.11.2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Not to hijack here, but will an envelope follower allow for treating the incoming signal unaltered? As in if I was to send it an external LFO or envelope signal, would the envelope follower alter the envelope or LFO wave no matter its settings, or could it, with the right settings, just echo the wave as it was originally?

If so, will any of the viruses allow this?
the signal can pass untouched, yes. you can use just the fx or filters on it without the envelope follower, therefore preserving the signal as is.
Old 18.11.2013, 04:45 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
the signal can pass untouched, yes. you can use just the fx or filters on it without the envelope follower, therefore preserving the signal as is.
No I meant as a modulation source. I might have misunderstood something though. What I'd like to be able to do is to put a line level modulation wave in there, say to modulate filter frequency, without the envelope follower changing the shape of the signal wave, like rounding off the edges etc. But is this at all how it works, and is it possible to do this with one of the viruses?
Old 18.11.2013, 08:28 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
No I meant as a modulation source. I might have misunderstood something though. What I'd like to be able to do is to put a line level modulation wave in there, say to modulate filter frequency, without the envelope follower changing the shape of the signal wave, like rounding off the edges etc. But is this at all how it works, and is it possible to do this with one of the viruses?
what the envelope follower does is replace the filter envelope.

you can use it as a modulation source in the mod matrix, by choosing "filtenv" source. so if you were to put this volume modulated wave in there to modulate the filter frequency, it would instantly work like that. you'd use the env amount knob to control how much it affects the filter, and the attack and decay knobs are usable to, as well as the sustain knob that acts like an input knob for the incoming signal.
Old 18.11.2013, 09:34 PM
New here

Wow that's nice to know! So if attack is set to 0, decay to 64(?), sustain to 127 (for unattenuated input level(?)) and release to 0, then the filter frequency is modulated by the original, unaltered wave, and modulation depth is then controlled with the env ammount knob, is that correct?
Old 19.11.2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think you can bypass the envelope's settings. but the thing is, an envelope in standard operation (as in a note being triggered by either midi from the daw or a key press on some controller or keyboard) has the "note in" and "note off" thing, in this case this is triggered by the volume in the signal - any kind of volume since there's no threshold setting.
Old 19.11.2013, 02:25 PM
New here

Thanks, TweakHead! I'm a bit less confused now. The Virus B manual is also helping a bit.

Sorry about the hijack, nutrinoland. I've pasted your last post below. I don't have the snow, but I'll try to answer some of it anyway. Someone with a better understanding of this should jump in here, and also correct me if what I tell you is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
Hey again. I was trying to use the analog inputs on the snow, so decided to try the envelope follower, so I did a google search for it, and the result that popped up was this page ..a question I myself had asked a little while ago.
Anyway..I re-read it, and this time understood a little better, since recently I learned about envelope followers in FL studio, using something called a Peak Controller. The same way a bassline is sidechained, the peak controller can be linked to any destination or parameter in the DAW. I had been sidechaining bass for a while before, but only realized the potential of the peak controller/ env follower, recently after reading about it online. Great little technique. I enjoyed using it on a distortion plugin, so as the bass got louder it distorted more.
Although I have grasped the concept of env followers, quite well, I am still having a hard time implementing it on the Virus.
I am not sure how to set it up and use it. For example,on the input mode patch, FX page - activate input- static input, and then activate the Env follower from input. WHat is the env follower affecting in this case ? is it acting on the input signal itself or can I play the synth oscillators and stuff at the same time as input ? will the env follower affect the oscillators internally ? can it modulate anythig apart from volume and filter cutoff ?also does each of the 4 parts on My snow have an individual env follower or can one stereo analog input affect the env follower on all 4 parts.
I wasn't really able to figure it out. something did happen, but I couldn't figure out what exactly was happening.

Thanks
It's still unclear to me whether the envelope follower is able to pass the signal untouched, but it seems to me that the way to make it change the signal as little as possible is to set attack, decay and release to zero, and the sustain knob to max, but I'm not really sure. It's all in the Virus B manual however, which is good for explaining a few things, as the TI manual is such a sad excuse of a cheap joke. Look up Envelope follower in the tricks & tips section. I'm unable to copy text from the PDF file I found. Just remember there are some differences between the B and the TI.

Anyways, the manual actually seems to suggest that you can have the clean input signal modulate whatever you want, without the envelope follower changing that signal at all. I guess you still just use the filter envelope as source in the mod matrix, but I'm not sure. I'll try experimenting with this later.

Oh, and I don't think the input signal will blend with the synth sound unless you use it to modulate something or activate it to be treated as audio.

Hope that was of some help
Old 20.11.2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran
Veteran

but why would you want to use this untouched signal in the first place? when you can send the Virus a costumized midi message that would do what you want?

not sure I know what you'd like to do
Old 20.11.2013, 05:14 PM
New here

Who, me? I'd like to be able to use an external LFO with the virus. A real LFO that can swap between waveshapes and time signatures and do other neat things a MIDI message wont deliver. Besides, I'd like to avoid clogging the MIDI flow to prevent sluggish timing. It also could be interesting to try out audio range modulation, although I suspect the Virus has some hidden self destruct function that would activete by the sight of a modulation wave faster than 20Hz.. What do you think?

I've thought about using the control pedal input, and I'm looking into CV to resistance convertion, but that looks pretty complicated, and I suppose I'll have a hard time finding a suiting expression pedal with input for CV control.

I love the virus sound and the free updates and all, but the LFO section is pretty limited, and the lack of any audio rate modulation source is frustrating to put it mildly. No sequencer and no repeating envelopes doesn't help either.

It's almous like Access went out of their way to make sure to keep it boring. I know DSP power isn't handed out for free, but neither is the TI. It's actually quite expensive for a VA with the mentioned limitations if you ask me. Nevertheless, I'm not looking for a replacement. I have other synths, and will keep the virus, but if it's possible to have an external LFO working with the virus, then it's something that I'd like to make sure I know about.
Old 21.11.2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran

A MIDI message will deliver! If you draw the automation (in your daw with the pencil tool and curve edditing...) and assign it to the parameters you want to control, then the Virus can perform just like Massive or any of the most reveered for their modulation options synths.

Of course you'll need to familiarize yourself with your host's automation tools a lot, but you can surely build an automation curve that goes beyond 20Hz. Just don't expect it to perform aliasing free, since most DSP instruments are thought out to not exibit aliasing on their most extreme settings of modulation, and that doesn't account for using external modulation inputs.

Simple test: just extend the range of your pitch bend wheel first. Then draw some crazy curves on your daw for it. Draw some very short cycles 20Hz or more and play it. It does respond as it should. And you have a ton of other CC's to use, assignable in the mod matrix, plus you have the midi cc map to assign parameters directly if you want.

Even if you have some fancy modular LFO in there, and perhaps some warp modules and modifiers of sorts, it would still send a CV message, not audio, and therefore how would you even expect to use that in a DSP based synthesizer? CV>MIDI converter would enable you to use it on any MIDI capable machine though, you could store this midi message on your daw and then assign some cc, like cc#3 to this and assign cc#3 on the Virus to handle pitch or filt cuttof or something, and there you go!

but the LFOs on the Virus are far from being limited. I mean, where else do you have 64 waves to choose from besides the regular "analogue" shapes? And what about the contour settings? Fade in and out on 3rd LFO? Being able to use recursive modulation to have one modulating the rate of the other, while the other's rate is modulating itself, plus the amount that the former is modulating the rate of this one? That's a wacky modulation input that can sound as weird and organic as some weird euro rack module.

ok, so just build yourself a nice collection of automation drawings and have some fun!
Old 21.11.2013, 02:55 PM
New here

If I could manage to convert CV to resistance, I'd have a realtime tweakable LFO to use with the expression pedal input of the virus. However, it doesn't seem likely at the moment.

The virus LFO's are OK, but they have a limited range, as mentioned, and I'd like to be able to trig them independent of key press.

Thanks for the pep talk. I'll check out how far I can push it with MIDI automation, but as you said, it's tedious work, it's not very realtime, and as I usually run at fairly high tempos(150ish+ BPM), I fear the timing will go south when sending MIDI sequences to the virus at the same time as complex CC patterns. You seem to have some experience with this. Did you notice any sluggish behaviour?

Last edited by HUBA : 21.11.2013 at 03:57 PM.