Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 24.11.2012, 03:03 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Meanwhile great products continue to emerge from other vendors in the economy... an example being Maschine, also from battered Germany
Ahh those poor germans...nobody says, Lol, LOL LOL & yes loving NI's stuff right now. Not only value for money but actually work right out of the box.
Old 24.11.2012, 09:01 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Lol..I have had a virus since the A model & probably know way more about access than you do. They do not manufacture the virus & they do not write the software for it....Now lets see if my predictions come true. If not I will show my arse in Macy's/Burtons window. Until then...give it up eh. If they have the resources they are not using them very well.
Then you must not realize where the Waldorf-Music's great minds went while they took a bankruptcy holiday...working with Access!
....And I am supposed to be impressed by your "awesomeness" for knowing more about Access than I or anyone else? At least I can remain optimistic in this life, rather than a jaded cloud of negativity. The Korg MS20 I learned deep synthesis on back in '82 remains relevant to these instruments Access produced that are "new to me" (Virus KB and KC), because the same principles apply but even deeper. However, that does not mean I am a better sound designer than anyone else. It just means a chunk of time was dedicated to an extended military career and am now able to express in a post-traumatic way through very advanced instruments and learn by reading on many pro forums and learn from the wisdom of others. However, walking clouds of glum and gloom that cannot even recognize when a company IS releasing *something* as Access is but YOU happen to not LIKE it...seems a bit childish and somewhat sad! Why crap on other's positivity? eheh....
Old 25.11.2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Oh, and let's not forget that Berni has a Virus, I bet he continues to use it to this day and he sometimes thinks: "hell, this machine sounds good, never getting rid of it, but on the meantime will be pissing on Access's parade so they get their act togheter and make a special Berni TI 3 with the brithish flag paint, not that darkstar crap of theirs, just for me" eheh. Keep the humour folks!

Don't know about any of you, I know this is just marketing blabla of some kind, but I actually think the black ones should be standard and the white ones special edditions for apple's fan boys, the kind of people who would cry if their synths don't match their imacs and i stuff... they could also sell some usb cabbles that would mimick the thunderbolt connections, so as to give a more stylish look.

Someone get me one of these black snows please, I'm in the epicenter of this crysis LOL, feel free to ask for paypall account on PM. Cheers
Old 25.11.2012, 11:20 AM
This forum member lives here

For me, the music-production related forums are one of the last bastions of Internet discussions that stand a reasonable chance of being free of pissing matches and insults, so not only am I not trying to piss on anyone else's good time, I do go out of my way to present my opinions in a way that avoids turning music and synth discussions into a competition. I'm one of the most competitive people I've ever met, but I see music and synths as a collaborative branch of my existence and I don't want to turn discussing it into a sport.

All of that said, I've never held back my opinion of Access here. Obviously the fact that I still visit this board indicates an interest in the Virus, and I certainly do still have that. I just find it frustrating that while they are one of the only synths that has taken on a challenge like total integration via USB, they seem to have a half-hearted commitment to it. Then, going in to a major trade show with product announcements like relatively insignificant filter changes or other minor OS tweaks, with zero updates that address major issues, all while maintaining a premium price structure in landscape where softsynths have to a large extent exceeded the capabilities and sound possibilities of hardware seems arrogant to me.

I continue to have faith and to watch the product line, hoping to own a Virus again one day; however Winter NAMM has become something of an anniversary of disappointment with regard to Access, while other vendors continue to make progress and introduce interesting products. I'd love to see that trend change, and maybe I'll be surprised and see an unexpected change this year, but based on the last several years, odds don't seem in favor of it.
Old 25.11.2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
For me, the music-production related forums are one of the last bastions of Internet discussions that stand a reasonable chance of being free of pissing matches and insults, so not only am I not trying to piss on anyone else's good time, I do go out of my way to present my opinions in a way that avoids turning music and synth discussions into a competition. I'm one of the most competitive people I've ever met, but I see music and synths as a collaborative branch of my existence and I don't want to turn discussing it into a sport.
If that was meant to include me, I was only joking here.
Old 25.11.2012, 01:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
I certainly second that because my sense of humor often is taken perhaps the wrong way because I enjoy sardonic and dark humor and in no way want any "pissing matches" as I have expressed, am hear to learn and to contribute when I can. I just personally believe in communication and with that being said, rather than bemoaning Access, et al; contacting Access or any synth manufaturer with one's concerns and O.S. issues still unaddressed is still the ideal way to handle that rather than potentially turning someone newer to Access in particular, but not synths, with a negative impression bemoaning and trashing a company on a forum like this is probably very counterintuitive to our quests of being Cultural Creatives in this crazy world! Peace to all and like it or not, I remain an optimistic person!
Old 25.11.2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Second that. And there's a clear distinction between one's expectations about the development of some company being frustrated over time and the actual potential of it to make music. At the end of the day that's what matters the most. And as far as digital hardware synths are concerned, the virus is one of the most complete and deep synths on the market today. Also bear in mind that as far as the Batman movie OST is concerned, the actual synth used was a specially made version of Zebra combined with Diva's (another u-he synth) filters and some specially designed, for the occasion, modules. Let me remind you that even though that special package sounds great, no doubt about that, it comes with the cost of eating so much of one's cpu that it hardly stands a chance of becoming a go to synth for practical music making. It's actually one of the very few filters out there, on the software market, that holds it against the quality you can find on the virus - and it eats cpu for breakfast. Therefore, the virus having it's own couple of dsp to handle it's own sound is still a BIG advantage, even with todays cpus. The Diva alone can make intel i7 salad if you push it to its limits, and I mean just one instance of it - tested, so no speculation here.

And while we're at it. How come adding two extra assignable envelopes reads to some as nothing special? Do you even realize that's the kind of specification most synths display on a catalogue? And adding some extra filter options? Is that something a sound designer does not appreciate? I mean... If you don't like filters and envelopes, that's only two of the main modules on any given synth there is in the world. Just my 2 cents on that matter.

There's more sucessfull tunes made with a virus, these days, then any number of people speaking badly about it. Would you rather have something like a Nord Lead? Two Oscilators, doesn't even have a mod matrix - to this day - and it still sells. It's got some very good qualities, not denying it, but my virus C would eat it for breakfast when it comes to depth, let alone the TI line. That does count for me. Quality and having options.

The only thing I do agree with here is the price being to high. It really is. And by the way, what hardware synths do you guys like? And what companies do you think are pushing the limits here? Because U-he and Native Instruments are mostly software companies, there's not a single hardware synth by them. Point made I guess.

And no one's pushing this towards Ego battles, it's just playfull joking, opinion sharing, and healthy talking the way I see it. Cheers to all.
Old 25.11.2012, 02:20 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Second that. And there's a clear distinction between one's expectations about the development of some company being frustrated over time and the actual potential of it to make music. At the end of the day that's what matters the most. And as far as digital hardware synths are concerned, the virus is one of the most complete and deep synths on the market today. Also bear in mind that as far as the Batman movie OST is concerned, the actual synth used was a specially made version of Zebra combined with Diva's (another u-he synth) filters and some specially designed, for the occasion, modules. Let me remind you that even though that special package sounds great, no doubt about that, it comes with the cost of eating so much of one's cpu that it hardly stands a chance of becoming a go to synth for practical music making. It's actually one of the very few filters out there, on the software market, that holds it against the quality you can find on the virus - and it eats cpu for breakfast. Therefore, the virus having it's own couple of dsp to handle it's own sound is still a BIG advantage, even with todays cpus. The Diva alone can make intel i7 salad if you push it to its limits, and I mean just one instance of it - tested, so no speculation here.

And while we're at it. How come adding two extra assignable envelopes reads to some as nothing special? Do you even realize that's the kind of specification most synths display on a catalogue? And adding some extra filter options? Is that something a sound designer does not appreciate? I mean... If you don't like filters and envelopes, that's only two of the main modules on any given synth there is in the world. Just my 2 cents on that matter.

There's more sucessfull tunes made with a virus, these days, then any number of people speaking badly about it. Would you rather have something like a Nord Lead? Two Oscilators, doesn't even have a mod matrix - to this day - and it still sells. It's got some very good qualities, not denying it, but my virus C would eat it for breakfast when it comes to depth, let alone the TI line. That does count for me. Quality and having options.

The only thing I do agree with here is the price being to high. It really is. And by the way, what hardware synths do you guys like? And what companies do you think are pushing the limits here? Because U-he and Native Instruments are mostly software companies, there's not a single hardware synth by them. Point made I guess.

And no one's pushing this towards Ego battles, it's just playfull joking, opinion sharing, and healthy talking the way I see it. Cheers to all.
I agree completely! There's only ONE softsynth that has my attention but do not know if it too would eat even my pretty powerful DAW PC for breakfast by Izotope, the IRIS....pretty interesting device. As far as hardware synths other than my Virus KB and KC, for diversity in sound I have found ways to make the Korg Radias sound incredibly nasty in a good way, Waldorf Blofeld Black Keyboard I consider in same league of the Virus as it too is pretty incredible when you start programming your own sounds, then there's DSI MonoEvolver Keyboard--another innovative monster, then in hardware rack: Waldorf MicroQ OMEGA, Korg Wavestation SR, Novation Supernova, and Waldorf Microwave XT, and lastly for it's versatile ARP and all the TR808 drums in a small package my only Roland, the SH32. All these synths have something unique to add to a mix with only limitation the occasional creative brain farts. HA! The Ti series is not an interest to me at this time because am also learning DAW Reaper and that may change if I get the Presonus Firewire Mobile Audio Interface, which comes with full version of Studio One. So once the DAW is mastered, then *may* look into a desktop Ti2 because studio real estate is about maxed if you count a few midi controllers that come out of closet
Does Camel Audio's Alchemy eat CPU for breakfast too?
Old 25.11.2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
It wasn't directed at any one person in particular.
Old 25.11.2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran
Veteran

No, the Diva is a special kind of monster when ti comes to cpu hit. It sounds like an analogue machine if you close your eyes, at least for me, it's not marketing BS. One thing that's cool about it though, is that you don't actually need to work with the maximum quality, you can manage to use it more if you lower it, and only choose maximum when bouncing tracks. But Alchemy is a special thing for anyone who enjoys going deep in sonic possibilities, it's one of the very best software synths in my opinion, can take a lot of time to fully grasp though. I think software synths are cool doing their own stuff, and that's one of the cases where it really shines, it's really unique that one.