Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 25.06.2005, 10:40 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
Marc's comment was in direct response to the increasingly tiresome speculation that "Access is going the way of Waldorf". This can hardly be classified as 'gloating'.
Do you mean that Access will be putting in user wavetables just like Waldorf did?

Timo, we have a victory!!! Although I may have just misunderstood Ben's post.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 26.06.2005, 07:58 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Well I just go the recent turnkey catalogue in the mail...and of course it includes the virus TI range, which got me thinking that all these major music stores for months now have been advertising something in their catalogues that is not in stock, with no confirmed shipping date......this is firstly misleading and unfortunate from the perspective of the TI buyers especially those who have given ????$$$$deposits......

Secondly, being a bean counter (by trade), based on experience (product lifecycle) typically such product launch delays add up to increase costs for a company, which are either passed on to the customer or reduce the bottom line for the company.

Access must be hurting, in that I can only assume that these "unexpected" additional R&D/testing costs will definately be eating into their original profit margin. As the pricing was announced quite early on and I cannot (at least from marketing/reputational point of view) expect them to up the retail price..........It will be interesting to see what actually happens..Access can only hope that they sell more volume to compensate for the decreased profit margin.......
Old 26.06.2005, 09:25 AM

^ if Access want to increase volume of Virus sales....I personally think they should just tell everyone: The Virus TI is going to be their *last* Virus series synth. Access should then go into a new direction with FM, wavetable and PD technologies.....be nice to see these technologies brought back into the 21st century with decent user interfaces. Believe it or not...but no one has done this yet....

Access are obvously trying to make the ultimate VA....and all credit to them they are getting there....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.06.2005, 01:11 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aster
Well I just go the recent turnkey catalogue in the mail...and of course it includes the virus TI range, which got me thinking that all these major music stores for months now have been advertising something in their catalogues that is not in stock, with no confirmed shipping date......this is firstly misleading and unfortunate from the perspective of the TI buyers especially those who have given ????$$$$deposits......

Secondly, being a bean counter (by trade), based on experience (product lifecycle) typically such product launch delays add up to increase costs for a company, which are either passed on to the customer or reduce the bottom line for the company.

Access must be hurting, in that I can only assume that these "unexpected" additional R&D/testing costs will definately be eating into their original profit margin. As the pricing was announced quite early on and I cannot (at least from marketing/reputational point of view) expect them to up the retail price..........It will be interesting to see what actually happens..Access can only hope that they sell more volume to compensate for the decreased profit margin.......
they will lift the price a bit
Old 26.06.2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midislut
they will lift the price a bit
I doubt it.
If anything they should be offering some sort of 'bonus' to preorder customers for their patience...
Raising the price is not an option for Access.

cheers

blay
Old 26.06.2005, 01:20 PM
Am starting to like this forum

yes they will bonus the preorder guys and recoupe the loss from the new buyers

they are running a business
Old 26.06.2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midislut
they are running a business
yep and thats why the rrp wont budge - unless Access has no integrity whatsoever.

cheers

blay
Old 26.06.2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Yep, this could have probably been Access' last chance at a hardware synth, with all this huge wealth of computer synthesis booming at the mo giving it an even greater run for its money and maybe even surpassing it.

I would have preferred the TI to have done significantly more (in the way of sound warping (more hands-on controllers, ribbons, XY pads, etc.), sound-generation (yup, the wavetables are very welcome, but they're currently preset), and enhanced their current synthesis generation (like adding a fourth oscillator (or at the very least allowing the "sub" to become a fully functional oscillator in its own right, as opposed to being a very limited 'slave'); adding extra EGs (for pitch, or moreso modulating literally anything else that you fancy); more flexible LFOs (ie. so they're not each "fixed" to certain destinations); more emulated filters (like JP8, 303, OBXa, etc.); better saturation algorithms (as it currently suffocates the life out of most sounds, as opposed to warming them up like PSP Vintage Warmer or similar); maybe adding another filter type - a Peaking filter - to the current LP, HP, BP, BS line-up; allowing their third oscillator to have independent sync/ring-mod, FM controls to Oscillator 2; etc....

Physical modelling would be awesome, and I guess the Korg Oasys will cover this in time, including Wavetables (heavily updated from their wavestation), FM, and more.

I sincerely hope Korg release a synthesis 'workstation' successor to the Z1 at some point in the future, as I have absolutely no need for 70% of the Oasys (ie. the sequencer, the preset ROM samples, the weighted 76/88 piano keys, CD-RW, hard-drive, sample-RAM, Intel processor and custom-Linux OS, the 10.4 inch colour touchscreen, blah blah....)

PS > The Ti has been advertised in SOS in a dual-centrefold spread since around October/November last year, so pretty much all 100% of the customers must be a little disgruntled when they find it's still not been released yet.
Old 26.06.2005, 02:25 PM

Its not about integrity and what we believe is right. Its about what is financially viable to the company. If they have to raise the price....they will. Id recommend they dont. Maybe things in the UK are a little different...but...

Access have said that its their aim to introduce new virus flagship products at the same price as the one before...well lets just think about this..

The Virus KB was ?1229 when first introduced to the UK
The Virus KC was ?1329 then went to ?1349
The Virus TI lists at ?1499

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.06.2005, 02:51 PM

Obviously there has been a slight increase in cost with each range, but the difference isnt huge.

Access have shown the TI several times now since it was first announced in nov 04, and each time they have advised the same recommended retail price.

I just cant see them changing the price structure now - but hey, stranger things have happened.

cheers

blay