Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.04.2005, 09:51 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

im beginning to understand just how important the mod matrix is for shaping sound on the virus. i havent used my virus b that much but i went through the first 30 pages of howard scarr's tutorial and the mod matrix is essential for emulating analog filter types. absolutely essential. if the K Station doesnt have a mod matrix its going to sound fairly static in comparison to the virus.

one of the great things about it is its ability to modulate pretty much any control parameter. or set it to modulate itself. it lends itself to a movement in the sound which you cant really get in your average run of the mill virtual analogue.

what is your budget? you must specifiy a budget.

because you can get a virus b desktop on ebay for ?400. you can get a nord lead 2 rack for about ?350. doesnt have the mod options that the virus has but it sounds great anyway and its so easy to use. k station for about ?200.

virus b's cost alot less than virus c's and theres not that much difference. for most intents and purposes they are identical with the exception of a few features on the c which arent on the b (moog filter/3 band EQ) and a revised control surface. the EQ you can do with plugins no problem. and the moog filter. well. i dont think its worth having a new filter type for an extra ?250. id rather buy another synth with that money. seriously look into a 2nd hand virus b desktop.
Old 07.04.2005, 11:26 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

try a 2nd hand nord lead.
Old 07.04.2005, 09:19 PM
Pro
Pro

I just picked up a 16 voice Novation Nova and I have to say I'm very impressed by the little beauty. No, it isn't as good as the virus, but it is punchier for leads at times and with its 18db filter option makes some damn good 303 (style) sounds. Also the Doublesaw is a nice touch and it has very extensive modulation capabilities. For the money these things are hard to beat. However, my humble little Roland SH-32 is actually pretty damn good when you spend enough time with it and its price tag is silly these days, like $200. Good way to start out learning synthesis if you can't afford a virus right away. Better then a softsynth anyway (ducks head to avoid soft synth user's barrage).
Old 12.04.2005, 12:49 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Kid
what is your budget? you must specifiy a budget.

because you can get a virus b desktop on ebay for ?400. you can get a nord lead 2 rack for about ?350. doesnt have the mod options that the virus has but it sounds great anyway and its so easy to use. k station for about ?200.

i dont think its worth having a new filter type for an extra ?250. id rather buy another synth with that money. seriously look into a 2nd hand virus b desktop.
Hi WK,

Yeah, I think that's a good counsel. My budget is $500 max. My only worry with ebay is we don't have paypal here in our country so I have problems with fraud just case I encounter one. Is the feedback system of ebay reliable?

Thanks to all you guys who responded.
Old 12.04.2005, 03:35 AM
Pro
Pro

It is kindof reliable.

I've actually ended up getting in touch with some shops that sell second hand gear on ebay and then dealing directly with the shops and I couldn't be happier. I got both my bass station and my Nova from a music store in NY and they both arrived in good time and in excellent nick. I would recommend forming a relationship with a shop like I have. Then when you have saved up the money, email them and ask them if they have what you are looking for. So far its only taken them a couple of days to track things down for me and they usually have them factory refurbished before they put them up for sale anyway.
Old 12.04.2005, 06:32 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

That's a good idea. Thanks Gopal.