Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 27.05.2009, 12:56 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by telson View Post
sonar pe 8.3.1
Do you have any issues with other VSTi's when VC is in the same project? I have a huge latency issue when I have the VC in and try to use another VSTi along-side it. Seems all I can do is hit the live button to stop the latency problems with other VSTi's.

Virus-TI2 KB, Powercore compact, Intel i7 Quad Core on Gamers republic mobo (Nvidia Chipset), 4Gb Ram, 250Gb Sata, Windows Vista x32 SP1.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 27.05.2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simog View Post
Do you have any issues with other VSTi's when VC is in the same project?
no i don't
you have a "large" synth mister
if you wanna make cool productions , you have to get
"large" audio interface and also "large" monitor speakers

home studio begins from that point
in order to build a home studio , save money , and try to explain
to your wife , that a great sounded project , is our life
Old 27.05.2009, 05:46 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by telson View Post
no i don't
try to explain to your wife , that a great sounded project , is our life

exactly, thats the most important part
Old 28.05.2009, 10:59 AM
Complete Newbie

Lol...well she certainly understands the comment about music is our life, but the bank doesn't agree! They tend to be a little more skeptical!!

Right, update time....

At the mercy of some of the comments on Vista / firewire / soundcards I tried a few things last night.

Firstly - Removed Firewire card, moved the M-Audio to a new slot and installed a dedicated USB 2 PCI card.

Next I installed a new HDD using IDE (not ideal but only spare I had) and installed WinXP Pro SP3. Installed all drivers fresh.

Installed sonar / Virus TI software. Virus now connected to root host bus port on usb controller.

Installed drivers for M-Audio and configured for the lowest possible buffer size (64) running at 48000.

Opened a new project in sonar. Configured audio settings to use ASIO drivers and set playback and record buffer sizes to 64 and sample rate to 48000 to match card.

Added z3ta synth to project to test for latency and pops / clicks...latency fine...totally accurate and no popping / clicking or dropouts.

Recorded short midi sequence with z3ta...no playback issues...all spot on.

Added instance of VC.

Tested for latency with z3ta and significant latency experienced (as before). Enabled live mode and latency with z3ta gone.

Copied short Midi sequence to virus track and played both together still in live mode....virus out by fraction (but improved over Vista experience).

Recorded fresh sequence still in live mode to virus track...midi notes recorded accurately but playback still out.

Disabled live mode and sequences now in sync, however, Midi/audio latency with z3ta returned.

Fiddled with project settings for sending MTC and SMTPE to Virus.

Noticed that when VC in live mode, small symbol of a clock is displayed (presumably telling me it is syncing??). Then when midi recieved, a note symbol is displayed in its place.

Most often I will see a symbol on the Virus which says "SE"...does this equate to sync error?? Would make sense if it does as the timing is off.

For me to work correctly in sonar, the VC would have to run always in live mode...and I am so close to syncing that it is frustrating. Anyone know if this is now just down to a config in sonar?

For arguments sake, I tried all the above with the Virus as the soundcard and the same results.

I also tried Ableton live 6 demo (came with the M-Audio) and oddly I was able to (once all buffer / sample rate / midi sync settings were configured) sync up the VC with the z3ta synth with VC in live mode (even with the M-Audio as my interface)!!!! Only thing is I didn't see what the symbols were saying on the Virus...I was getting quite tired by this point!

I didn't run the project long enough to see if it would stay in time for a full track (only tried about 12 bars), but was encouraged by this.

Did notice latency with z3ta in ableton with live mode off when hitting keys though! Groan!

I am hoping that my Virus is entirely ok...had noticed some people saying they had faulty ones...but I am getting more convinced that the problem is the PC / Software environment.

Virus-TI2 KB, Powercore compact, Intel i7 Quad Core on Gamers republic mobo (Nvidia Chipset), 4Gb Ram, 250Gb Sata, Windows Vista x32 SP1.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 28.05.2009, 12:45 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by simog View Post
Most often I will see a symbol on the Virus which says "SE"...does this equate to sync error?? Would make sense if it does as the timing is off.
that means "SysEx". a kind of extended controller message.

r
Old 28.05.2009, 03:57 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up...I wasn't sure as there are no references to the on screen display icons that I can find in the pdfs or in the getting started manual!

Well I downloaded a full copy of Ableton Live earlier so looks like all my future productions will be done in that...not a bad thing though as I actually really like the sequencer. Thought it a nice little side product that you can rewire it to Sonar. Will be doing some investigating tonight!

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 29.05.2009, 11:47 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

If you like ableton you will love the APC-40 officical release monday. http://www.akaipro.com/apc40
Old 01.06.2009, 08:33 AM
Complete Newbie

Going to take a loo at that! Really do like Ableton, so easy to use and I don't get so many issues under this. All of the VSTi's are in sync!

Seem to be getting some distortion on some of the patches though when I updated my Virus OS to the latest beta though...strange...seems to affect pads mostly.

Going to go to 3.0.3 full release to see if that cures it.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 05.07.2009, 02:05 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Nobl1v1on
Thumbs up Tried with a few DAW's no problems at all thus far **knock on wood

I have got a Virus TI2 61 key, with an AMD 64 X2 3800+ overclocked and running at 2.25 GHz with 3gigs of RAM and Windows XP pro, been using the Virus as my sound interface until I get the one I really want, and well I have not had a lick of trouble with latency using it with FL Studio 8, Live 7, and Sonar 7, but the first thing I do is setup the latency compensation for each respective DAW. Something to think about, have you got swap file enabled, or virtual memory running, if so turn em both off. Make sure you disable any Virus protection while you are in the midst of working, and make sure you are not signed into the internet at all,ie chats, ect. Then pull up you task manager and see how your memory is looking, you might have some background progs that are eating away at your physical memory without even realizing it.
Good luck, if I can get it up and running I know anyone else can

Cheers
Nobl1v1on