Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 30.03.2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Thanks Ben.

Mad, great demo. It really does have "that sound" (prob'ly cos it is, but. ). So recognisable. Were the effects you used native to the JP80x0, or were they external?
Old 30.03.2005, 11:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks for the links, guys! Not my scene tbh, but it helps me get a much clearer picture of what people expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
It doesn't help altough the virus has a "minimoog" kind of filter because it's not the best one to use with supersaw style sounds. There's still no other synth filter which sounds as good with the supersaw oscillators than the real JP filter.
No, really it helps a lot - to get something completely different from the JP sound. Maybe the trance guys might not like the HyperSaw>AnalogLP Filter sound, but trust me, the d'n'b guys are gonna love it!

Quote:
I thought the purpose of the hypersaw in Virus TI was to do the same trick as in JP8000, to be able to make fat strings and leads and save polyphony without using the unison function at all !?
Well, of course it can pretty easily, because you can have 2x[9 saws+9 subs] in single voice mode, but unison is still pretty tempting because of the pan spread (the saws in the Hypersaw do not pan spread on their own btw - the 'Spread' parameter controls the detuning between the saws.)
Old 31.03.2005, 12:03 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Timo: all internal fx, NO external processing so that's why there is no reverb and no eq
Old 31.03.2005, 12:16 AM
Pro
Pro

I can't wait to see the messe demo for the TI
Old 31.03.2005, 09:19 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTATION
www.madstation.net/ben_demo.wav

Just playing a simple sequence from a performance on a jp8080...then removing effects(delay and chorus), then removing the detune and finally using just 1 supersaw osc...then putting the fx back in, playing with the detune value, etc.
Great demo madstation. The JP's onboard chorus & delay are also very good. No need for external chorus or delay. I use only external eq & reverb if I need. If I hear correctly you used the 12dB/oct. filter for the demo. I always use the 12dB filter cause it sounds softer and maybe fatter too. Btw. the last 3 seconds sound very massive, like the JP sounds at it's best! And like I said earlier too, after some point the extra saw waves don't bring more fatness or power to the sound without spoiling the sound. JP supersaw with 2 layers is about the maximum which still sounds very good.

Quote:
If these sounds can now be done with the TI, I will buy no less than 2!
hah
Don't worry, you'll save your money because they can never get that JP sound out of Virus TI, trust me. In fact ben already kind of admitted that trance is not his scene ("Not my scene tbh, but it helps me get a much clearer picture of what people expect. ") but d'n'b guys are gonna love the hypersaw + "minimoog" filter. In fact that's just the reason why a 100% JP supersaw replica cannot be done, if the designers are not fully aware of the original sound and how people expect it to sound. Like I said the filter is in very important role here too. And of course it's also a good thing that the hypersaw won't sound like jp supersaw.
Old 31.03.2005, 10:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
Don't worry, you'll save your money because they can never get that JP sound out of Virus TI, trust me. In fact ben already kind of admitted that trance is not his scene ("Not my scene tbh, but it helps me get a much clearer picture of what people expect. ") but d'n'b guys are gonna love the hypersaw + "minimoog" filter. In fact that's just the reason why a 100% JP supersaw replica cannot be done, if the designers are not fully aware of the original sound and how people expect it to sound. Like I said the filter is in very important role here too. And of course it's also a good thing that the hypersaw won't sound like jp supersaw.
My saying that 'trance is not my scene' is a long way off saying I can't do those sorts of sounds, and was not meant in any way to have an underlying meaning. There are also many sound designers who excel at them, so my abilities in that regard are irrelevant anyway.

Whether or not we can make sounds that would fool people into thinking they are hearing a JP remains to be seen (and tbh will almost certainly need a designer who owns both machines), but in actual fact it is not this which is important - what is important is that we can make patches which fulfill the requirements of these sounds, and I'm 100% confident that the TI can deliver.
Old 31.03.2005, 10:24 AM

I agree with F5D about the "good thing." Personally, I think the supersaw is the most over-used synth sound in "trance" music today. The fucking thing is everywhere. Why would you want the virus to sound like the 80X0 box anyways. You buy a virus for the virus sound not the 80X0 sound. Just think of the "different" possible sounds that will be in your hands with the new hypersaw algorithim. All this being said, I can guarantee you the Hypersaw will probably become just as huge as the supersaw. THe thing will probably be all over records over the next 2-4 years or until access adds a new algorithim. Just my .02
Old 31.03.2005, 10:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
I agree with F5D about the "good thing." Personally, I think the supersaw is the most over-used synth sound in "trance" music today. The fucking thing is everywhere. Why would you want the virus to sound like the 80X0 box anyways. You buy a virus for the virus sound not the 80X0 sound. Just think of the "different" possible sounds that will be in your hands with the new hypersaw algorithim. All this being said, I can guarantee you the Hypersaw will probably become just as huge as the supersaw. THe thing will probably be all over records over the next 2-4 years or until access adds a new algorithim. Just my .02
I agree with all of the above as well - but there will be plenty of potential users who want the supersaw leads and pads, that's for sure. I would certainly prefer it in the end if the TI sound becomes an extension to the palette, rather than waste it's potential in imitation.

Certainly, I won't be attempting 1-1 clones of the JP sounds for one simple reason: I can't be bothered. I find patch cloning to be very tedious, and when you try to emulate another instrument, you're always going to be on a loser from the start, as the fans of that instrument will never accept anything but the original. In the end I much prefer to take inspiration from other sounds, and then let the patch evolve into something I like playing with - patch creation has to be an enjoyable process, otherwise I find the magic is missing..
Old 31.03.2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
In the end I much prefer to take inspiration from other sounds, and then let the patch evolve into something I like playing with - patch creation has to be an enjoyable process, otherwise I find the magic is missing..
Amen!
Old 31.03.2005, 12:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I think its stupid to say a sound is over used in any genre of music. Is an electric guitar overused in metal? is a violin overused in classical? They are both used in 99% of songs in those genres but you never hear anything about that. A sound is what you make of it. I never tire of hearing the supersaw in trance as long as its used in a way that makes the song appealing to me, the same as any other sound. If a song does not appeal to me then its the producer that has failed to impress me, not the sounds involved.

ten