Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 01.03.2006, 11:37 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Will this work?

I am on the verge of buying a virus ti. The goal is to use it as synth and audiocard with my powered monitors directly connected to the viri outs, ie. no cables no fuss = pure bliss.. Am i delusional or is this doable? Anybody use their virus like this?

Does the volume knob control the overall output, or do i need an external mixer?

Also, i need the final push in deciding if i want a polar or keyboard...
Old 01.03.2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Re: Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbon
Also, i need the final push in deciding if i want a polar or keyboard...
Only you can answer that.

This might help:-

http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/viewtopic.php?t=5022
Old 01.03.2006, 02:14 PM
New here
New here

I've used it connected directly to my monitors (Genelec 1029s) and it has been great. Currently got it connected just to headphone as I'm abroad and that and my laptop and I'm set to go - master volume controls both synth output and all other non-TI sounds from the computer/sequencer for which it is acting as the soundcard.

Re Keyboard vs Polar: I think this depends on what your keyboard skills are like and whether you have any other keyboards in your setup that you're using. If you regularly use 2 hands and have no other keyboard then the keyboard version has got to be the way to go. I'm often using it connected to Akoustik Piano or B4 and the 5 octaves are invaluable to me, however good the Polar looks are. There has also been a thread about how the keyboard quality on the keyboard version is better than that on the polar which people like Ben Crosland have confirmed.
Old 01.03.2006, 03:40 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Default Re: Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbon
Does the volume knob control the overall output, or do i need an external mixer?
The volume knob controls the overall output.
Old 01.03.2006, 04:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

The volume knob does control the overall output, however it does so digitally therefore you will have zero protection for you monitors (and ears) if anything goes wrong (ie an override via midi, system crash, etc).

Personally I would stick an analog level controller inline (mixer, monitor controller or whatever).
Old 02.03.2006, 08:39 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Personally I would stick an analog level controller inline (mixer, monitor controller or whatever).
Yeah, thougt so too.. I do have a piece of crap behringer, but i feel like it only wastes deskspace and derives the audio of my setup significantly. Any suggestions on monitorcontroller or a tiny mixer?

As for polar vs. keyboard it's pretty much a fight between me for keyboard(nice keys and alot of em too!) vs. my gf for polar (It will match her ipod and takes up no space) .. the fight continues.. I will use it as my masterkeyboard..
Old 02.03.2006, 09:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Samson C-Control is small and cheap - never used one so cant comment on whether it impacts the sound at all.

I personally dont like the Mackie big knob because it means laods of cables on your desk.

Best of the 3 common ones is probably the presonus central station, but its expensive for what it is.

There's also a bunch of very expensive passives around.

On keyboard vs polar - personally I find 37 keys too cramped. In fact alot of pad and arp voicings I tend to use just wouldnt fit.
Old 03.03.2006, 09:04 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Decided on the keyboard version.. And I can even pick it up today!! Well, just 5 hours of work to go ..... 8O