Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 11.08.2006, 09:45 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Safe cheers jasedee, so really I can run it on a soundcard without midi ports,I've got a bit of spare cash to get sum other stuff like a controller/soundcard etc but would rather put it into a decent set of monitors,know what I mean
Old 11.08.2006, 08:08 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

no no i think you miss the point. the way the rack xl works, you need something with midi to control it. be it a midi keyboard or a sound card or a midi interface. what sound card are you using currently?

no point in getting monitors if your sound card isn't up to standard. also for monitors, i have tannoy reveal 6d's and they are amazing. check out the 5a's as they would be good as an entry monitor
Old 11.08.2006, 09:30 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Haha yea such a newbie aye,well ya see this purchase was made rather fast or I would've missed it,so I hav'nt got all the extra bits of gear yet.

The card I've got is a Creative Virbra 128 has line in/out, mic in and joystick/midi port.The midi port is a 15 pin,So I take it I need a midi to 15 pin cable ?

I can either get a new sound card and controller or get some monitors and just wait to get some more cash together to get the Xl running proper.

Reason I want the monitors is because I'm still writing beats with or without the XL and really need some better monitors.

Just had a look at the MOTU interfaces, so by using one of these your connecting the XL with midi cables to the interface then via a USB port to the PC,so you don't realy need a sound card with midi ports because your using a USB port or have I got this all wrong.haha
Old 12.08.2006, 05:42 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

if you get a motu ultralite for example, it has one midi in and one midi out, and connects to your computer via firewire. use headphones with it for now and get monitors later
Old 14.08.2006, 04:10 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Thanks to all that answered my questions.Picked up the XL yesterday,very happy when the seller took me through the sounds it can produce.

So I've decided to get a M-AUDIO MIDISPORT 2X2 USB MIDI INTERFACE,its got two in's and outs and a Korg K series controller.Both within budget so very happy with that.Can someone confirm this will allow me to run the XL through my PC and record the sounds from the XL.I know I sound like a complete Noob but the shop I've been dealing with keep trying to up sell me to expenisve soundcards and never answer my question.Cheers
Old 14.08.2006, 05:39 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

unless you got 1/4" ins on your current sound card on your computer you're kind of hooped. which is why i suggested purchasing something like an ultralite or a firewire 410 as midi only transmits control data, it doesn't transmit sound. with a external audio card via firewire or usb2.0, you can have te midi interface on te card, and the 1/4" ins and outs to send and recieve audio.
Old 14.08.2006, 10:14 AM
This forum member lives here

The MIDI-Sports are notoriously SHITE!!!! Bad timing, useless drivers etc..

In this game, it really does pay to spend a little extra...you get reliability. Which is probably why your local music shop is trying to get you to spend some cash.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 14.08.2006, 10:32 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Cheers guys,good to know,if I got a M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI SOUNDCARD would that be sweet for running the XL and will I still need a midi interface?

I just found this Motu Micro Express Serial midi interface but it has a parallel port to connect to your PC,something tells me this is'nt very good and why its going cheap ?
Old 15.08.2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRabid
Cheers guys,good to know,if I got a M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI SOUNDCARD would that be sweet for running the XL and will I still need a midi interface?
That would be just sufficient. Ideally, you'd want at least TRS 1/4" inputs instead of RCA's. But yeah, that'll get you off the ground

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 15.08.2006, 04:42 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Yea think the m audio 192 will be better because of the 1/4" in/outs.
Just reading the manual bout Sounddriver says it needs to be connected both midi in and out to work,do you have the controller on the midi thru on the XL?