Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 21.07.2006, 01:32 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to dseabra Send a message via MSN to dseabra
Default To understand? Step-By-Step!

"I dont think there are any Virus specific tutorials...probably only subtractive synthesis tutorials.

There are alot of Virus/synth pro's here though, so ask questions if there is stuff you dont understand."

This is what I've readed by an user from here to be helped. Let's see, for newbies, nothing is better than a Step-by-step example to how create a sound on Virus C/Indigo2/KC interface.

So here is my question:

Guys, someone can write here how to create a very stylish/different sound for melodies on virus C, STEP-BY-STEP? It could be very usefull because looking how the PRO's does, you can start to get the logic to how the Virus works as well...ok???? Thank you!!!

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 21.07.2006, 02:16 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

A massive hint
Howard Scarrs programing Tutorial download from the access website. It should help you.

If not sound on sound have a small one also.

Hope this helps you
Cheers
Kris
Old 10.08.2006, 01:12 PM
New here
New here

Kris, Truly speaking you could preapre sth like tutorial for us. Step by Step. It Would be very good and very usefull

Plz, Kris!

because many of us do not understand this HS tutorial attached with the virus
Its to compllicated
Old 14.08.2006, 12:21 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Ok, I could do it for a hard lead sound, other than that I'm still learning. I'll take a note of some settings for you tomorrow. It's going to be saw wav's so be warned.

Cheers
Kris
Old 15.08.2006, 04:06 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

You just need to get in there and start tweaking! Eventually you'll start to understand what different things do. I would advise learning a little about subtractive synthesis in general, understanding what oscillators are, what the envelope does, what the filter does etc...

The Virus manual even does a half decent job of guiding you through this. It just takes some time and patience

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 16.08.2006, 12:45 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

ok, here is a step by step for setting up a hard lead using saw waves. This is a very simple patch. I haven't given you the patch but just the settings. It is a bit messy but I had been working for 14 hours before I did this for you, so no complaining.

Also, Play a note after each change and you will see what is changing. Once done start to change more settings and you'll see what starts to change.

Start with RAM 126 or any start program:
OSC'S:

Osc 1 =, saw, no other change
Osc 2= saw, fm mode triangle, fm amount 46, sync on.
OSC3: ON, and saw wave, only change. Ensure no detune

Mix:
OSc Balance = 0, sub osc 81, osc volume +37, noise and ring mod =0

Amp env:
a=0, d=92, s=0, r=0
Filter env:
a=0, d=72,s=0, r=127
Filter 1, cutoff = 62, reso = 9, env amt = 61, mode = lp, key follow= +28,
Filter 2: offset = +1, reso=9, env amt= 61 env amt = 61, mode = lp, key follow= +28,
Filter Common, serial 4, filter balance = 0, cutoff link on, keyfollow base = C1
Saturation: type bit reducer, amount +37

EDIT MENU:
Surround: =output = off, Balance = -64,
Common: tempo = 140 bpm, Patch volume = 100, panorama = 0, ignore other common pages.
Unison = 4, detune = 66, pan spread = 75. Ignore rest of common pages.
LFO 1:
Shape = Triangle, Clock off, rate = 123, mode poly, osc1 Pitch = +15, Osc 2 pitch = -10, Assign OSC3 Pitch, Amt +1.

FX:
Delay: Mode pattern 5+5, send 20, send = 20, feedback = 27. coloration = -36, mod rate = 16 mod depth = 12, mod shape = tri

Reverb, Mode reverb, Type Large room, Send = 38, Clock = off, time 90, damping = 55, coloration = +45, Predelay =147.5
Low EQ:
freq(Hz) = 105, Gain = -16dB.
Mid EQ:
Freq (Hz) = 1046, Q = 1.02, Gain = +9dB
High EQ:: Freq = 3029, gain = +7.25dB
Distortion = off,
Low Boost: Intensity = 8you choose 0 = thin but I use 90, Freq = 40.

That?s it folks.
I have the patch but you can only get a copy after you send me a sample of your attempt. (Which will be the exact same as mine if you use all these settings, I made it twice using these notes.

Cheers
Kris

P.S I have a mp3 of me playing this sound and altering some of the basic controls on my soundclick page.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=313581
Old 16.08.2006, 01:28 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Synthesis is bringing together parts to make something so?

We are trying to make sound which has 3 important factors.

Pitch/frequency content/amplitude. This is the basics of any sound you hear.
Osc's/filter/amplitude. These are the basic modules we have on a synth.

Wave types. Now I can tell you that different types sound like blah de blah de blay but your ears may differ from mine and to be honest it is better if you have a sample to compare and I can't do that just now so you have to do the work. A saw is buzzy, play a single osc with a saw and you'll hear what I mean. Now change it to pulse, slightly more buzzy but different, sine hollow no charachter as some say, but a triangle is mellow. (Wave tables christ if someone knows then tell me )
When you are trying to create a sound you have to start with a good wav shape so it is important to know these off the top of your head. A year ago I said that was impossible but it is not that bad when you have listened to each for a while.
(There is a lot more to this and if I was you I'd read up, there is stuff everywhere)

ok so we have an osc what now?
I go to the adsr's I firstly start with the amp as I usually know what I want. If you want a string that fades in then fades out when you press a key then you have a long attack (fade in) and a long decay (fade out), you can then add some release aswell if you like, but have sustain at 0 as this is the volume of the voice when you are pressing a key. If you want a pluck or instant stab then again you want no fade in and a quick fade out, A=0, D=50?

I usually think of the adsr's as a sample or wave shaper in the sense of looking at a wave sampl in an editor screen. If you look at it as fade in, fade down to a level then stay at a level then fade out to nothing then you can match up with ADSR. (I'm weird)

As for the filter. You can change the sound of a filter using the filter ADSR, but the best way to do this is to have cutoff etc at 0 then adjust the env amount to change the filter as you desire. you can then turn up the filter, this is hard to explain so just do it and you'll see it works.

As for setting on the filter ADSR, well that all depends on what you want. It is best though to have all settings on this set to slightly less than your values on the AMP ADSR. If not then things don't work, but sometimes that is what you want so experiment.

Filter, Ehrm. Covered so many times but. LPF only low stuff passes bassy sounds and up. the resonance control the amount of emphasis on the freqs around your max freq. Hence when high it squeels like a pig. HPF. opposite high sounds get through but bassy sounds are removed. (Tip good for leads that fade in as they are always notacible) band pass and band reject (I'm bored it's all in the name )

ok so you have some basics on the main parts. All this I have learned on the net by the way

Unison. This lets you fatten up sounds. It pretty much copies the sound you are playing and layers its so many times (Voice count) then detunes each by an amount and then pans them between left and right, spread.

Hypersaw, super saw etc etc. are all just fancy saw waves, they are like playing several osc's all playing saw waves with them slightly different. It help you make fat sounds without unison but I'm not using them yet so don't ask :P

MOST IMPORTANT:
listen
You have EG on your synth, use it. You will see in my previous patch that the sound isn't anything until you set them up. this is a quick way to get the sound the way you want it in a mix of sounds. If you have a bass drum then only allow the low freq's through and cut some but not all of the mid and low. as for a bass line, almost the same as the bass drum jsut try to make them sound low. Then the motif part, this should be in the middle, then the main lead if you want it to sit it high and cut all the low. then your four parts will sit nice and need little to no mastering. (Spoke to a few well known producers who never master tracks they just mix them properly, whatever that means)

There is more to the synth but you need to do some more work with the synth, I found so many rilliant little things on this synth by making my patch that I fear my hands will be busy for a while.

I hope this helps but if not then poo to you

Seriously, if you want to make a sound then give in a sample and we could try to learn together. I'm still learning this stuff and usually figure things out by looking at presets and seeing how a bit is done then copy that in to a start program and change things to see what else can be done.

Have fun
Cheers
Kris
Old 17.08.2006, 12:20 AM
New here
New here

thanx a lot Kris ! nice tutorial, also nice lead.

here is what I'v made, i changed some settings from yours tutorial.
I hope you do not mind.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gkd437

Thanx a lot.
Old 17.08.2006, 01:22 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

twice I've helped you and twice your stuff sounds better than mine :P

Sounds good. Changing stuff is the name of the game I have left out as many of the modulation options so things can be changed and added.

Cheers
Kris
Old 17.08.2006, 01:43 AM
New here
New here

How it is possible ? that it sounds better than your stuff hehehe

You are a master You Did the Virus ? somebody told me that you made the virus Ti .