Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 10.04.2008, 06:27 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Hi guys another good tip for buying on ebay is to email the seller and ask if it will be ok to pick up the item yourself and pay cash if you win the item, even if it is 500 miles away, if the seller agees then its more than likely legit if the seller dont agree then be cautious there's a good chance the seller might not even have the item (scumbag). Then after you win the item email the seller again and tell them you are unable to pick up item for what ever reason you choose including an apology then pay for the item as normal paypal etc. good luck and happy bidding
Old 27.04.2008, 11:02 PM
This forum member lives here

I am on the lookout for an old 6000 as well actually - not easy to come accross a good one.

I have a 3000 and a topped out ESI4000, and I tend to lean towards the Emu for anything that requires 'meat', and then I use the Akai for anything that needs 'punch'. The Akais seem to work so well with snares and high end. I never seem to use my Akai for anything other than beats too. The Emu works as a jack of all trades though.

So how did you get on with the 6000? Did it come?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 28.04.2008, 01:49 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I will get kicked off this thread for being a traitor, but here goes.

I have copied some favourite kits from MPC2500 to drum rack instruments in Ableton Live. And smugly thinking that hardware rules. But after getting the eq and compression to match the MPC, the sound from Live is so close that it is only slightly detectable with headphone A/B comparisons. So close, that Live would easily pass for the MPC soundwise.

Sure, I have loved the S-550, ASR-10 and A3000 in their day. But a lot of that magic sound can be created in new gear. I'm only saying because I am surprised it can be done.

Cheers,
B
Old 28.04.2008, 09:25 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell View Post
I am on the lookout for an old 6000 as well actually - not easy to come accross a good one.

So how did you get on with the 6000? Did it come?
Yeah it arrived , there was a bit of a mess up with the delivery address but that got sorted eventually.

The sampler is great but not as powerful as I expected regarding its filters (crap), effects (so so), internal sound routings (very basic) - A yamaha a5000 eats it for breakfast with everything apart from sample ram and ease of use. it is immaculate though apart from the screen was losing a bit of brightness-so I just bought a new lcd screen for £160. I could have lived with the old screen but thought i had better replace it just incase it dies when stocks arent available anymore.

Last edited by IamEvil : 28.04.2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 28.04.2008, 09:52 PM

Glad to hear that it made it ok - looks pretty damn cool in that rack as well! Yeah I never found the filters on the Akais to be much of a strong point either - they tend to be more functional than pleasing.

@ LivePsy, I have tried a few softies for samplng as well, but I always head back to the hardware. I think as I have a set of outputs routed to the Emu at all time, it's just natural to bounce things to it - and something happens when you record into the analogue ins (probably quality loss ) that I like. Then there's the filters etc. Hey what version of Live are you using?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 28.04.2008, 10:28 PM
Pro
Pro

Nice one, it looks sick in this rack!

Personally i find Akai standard filters like LPF and HPF are much better sounding than EMU equivalents, especially with resonance cranked up to higher values, but EMU is still stronger than Akai with his unique sounding Z-Plane algorithms like Peak-Shelf and other non-standard Morph type filters.
Old 29.04.2008, 03:14 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell View Post
@ LivePsy, I have tried a few softies for samplng as well, but I always head back to the hardware. I think as I have a set of outputs routed to the Emu at all time, it's just natural to bounce things to it - and something happens when you record into the analogue ins (probably quality loss ) that I like. Then there's the filters etc. Hey what version of Live are you using?
Hi Hollowcell,

I know its hypocritical of me to talk up software when I have virus but its surprising how close the sound is if you take the time to match Live's drum racks with a hardware sampler. New to live 7, the drum racks give you complete control over drum samples including putting the effects inside the rack. A portable instrument you can move from project to project. No need for a third party plugin. Plusses - its enormously powerful and can copy 99% of the character of hardware. You can stick in synth generators instead of samples. Minusses - a ton of parameters to control all by mouse and the way it hides and shows sections is a tad confusing.

The MPC was programmed in around 30 minutes. The copy in drum racks is almost complete after 2 days Oh, I guess that is another minus...

If you sequence in software, perhaps sampling can be software as well. I don't think a TI can be done in software, of course!

Cheers,
B
Old 22.09.2008, 12:59 PM
New here
New here

I would have voted for the emu e6400 classic/ultra any day when it comes to filtering. It has a diffrent flavor then the akai, and the akai is probably a very good instrument for playback of original source. I find the emu coloring the sound a bit more.. and the filters does more with the sound. But that is what i love with the emu. The emu acts more like a synth with its extensive routing matrix. but it also miss out easy features like ping-pong loop (it can be achived with copy and past, so no big loss). and there is no sample choping features to map up drum samples quickly (like recycle).. i realy hate that

But the emu is a sampler synth which realy can alter the sound into another world!

http://www.higen.org/wp-content/uplo...tter_taste.mp3 <-- drums and bass from emu.
http://www.higen.org/wp-content/uplo...always_win.mp3 <-- same again.. drums and bass from emu.