Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 21.03.2009, 08:37 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default what is the role of filter1 and filter2?

Hello.

I cannot quite understand the role of the two filters.
Can someone explain me what they really do?
Why do I need two filters?
Renoise + Reaper + GoldWave + VCommander registered user! - Roland JV-1080 - Korg M1R - Korg DSS-1 - Yamaha FB-01 - Yamaha P-85S - M-AUDIO Keystation 61ES - Focusrite Saffire LE - Access VIRUS Rack Classic - Access VIRUS Rack XL - Jackson Pro SL - Award Session Sessionmaster JD-10 - Randall Century 3000
Old 21.03.2009, 09:58 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

a simple example is...

You have resonant 303 type noise using a LPF burbling away and you want to then add a HPF to get rid of the bass.

or

A pad sound uses an phaser like lfo to band pass filter with a low pass filter cutting out overall brightness

Also if you use 2 of the same type of filters together you create a sharper cut off and res.

and lastly

You create a sound with 2 different filter settings and use the filter balance to morph between them.

click me for main download page
Old 22.03.2009, 07:14 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEvil View Post
a simple example is...

You have resonant 303 type noise using a LPF burbling away and you want to then add a HPF to get rid of the bass.

or

A pad sound uses an phaser like lfo to band pass filter with a low pass filter cutting out overall brightness

Also if you use 2 of the same type of filters together you create a sharper cut off and res.

and lastly

You create a sound with 2 different filter settings and use the filter balance to morph between them.

Thanks for the explanation! =)
Renoise + Reaper + GoldWave + VCommander registered user! - Roland JV-1080 - Korg M1R - Korg DSS-1 - Yamaha FB-01 - Yamaha P-85S - M-AUDIO Keystation 61ES - Focusrite Saffire LE - Access VIRUS Rack Classic - Access VIRUS Rack XL - Jackson Pro SL - Award Session Sessionmaster JD-10 - Randall Century 3000
Old 07.04.2009, 11:09 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Here's my favorite application of the two filters: make a resonant sub bass patch. Stack a bunch of triangle waves right? Right. Put the filters in serial 2 (4 poles). The 4poles make a steeper cutoff and make the resonance more noticeable.
Use HP w a decent amount of resonance. Odd to put HP on a sub? Maybe, but the patch is just a fundamental to shake things, not really all over the place melodically, just within an octave or so. Use the cutoff to dial in where things really shake.
You'll find as you work your way up the octave on the keyboard it starts to get less resonant as you get away from the knee where you just tuned your filter to.
Now use the LP of the second filter to make the top end of your range resonate in the same way. This should give you a good octave or so off extremely resonant sub bass.

http://soundcloud.com/austin_tacious/sikstreyrelik