Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 24.07.2012, 08:09 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Help recreating James Blake sound?

Hello,

I am trying to emulate the sound James Blake uses on songs like Unluck/Wilhelm Scream on my TI2. He plays it on a Prophet 08, but I'm certain I can recreate a similar sound on the Virus.

If someone could either give me some pointers on how to make that sound, or if someone has already made one and could send it to me. I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 27.07.2012, 03:11 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I'm sure we can help! Can you post a link to YouTube or something and explicate which sound you're after?

http://soundcloud.com/austin_tacious/sikstreyrelik
Old 27.07.2012, 07:57 PM
New here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMEv...eature=related

Just the main synth sound he is playing. He just seems to add more noise when the song builds.

It would mean the world to me if I had some help!
Old 04.08.2012, 10:13 PM
New here

I've come fairly close, but just can't get rid of a lot of fuzz in the sound. Not really distortion, just a lot of extra noise that doesn't need to be there... I am sort of a noob when it comes to designing sounds so, if anyone could think of a way to get rid of it, that would rock. haha
Old 06.08.2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Turn down distortion, noise, cutt off higher frenquencies maybe? Use two filters in series, have the second one be a Low Pass, just high enough you ear what you want and don't ear what you don't want?
Old 06.08.2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I think you can either use two sine waves with a tiny amount of FM (and I mean subtle!) the first osc leave it at 0, the second one octave up (12 semitones), sync both oscilators, and turn the Osc Balance to full right...
You can also try the digital waves, as they can produce very good organ like sounds...
Now use two Low Pass Filters in series, the first one like 9'o clock, the second more open, use resonance only on the first, no Env Amount on both of them. Filter Balance also 9'o clock. Add some KeyFollow, test some chords and it trully depends on the scale you're using, so...

Then, set LFO 1 to modulate Osc 1 pitch +5, triangle wave is ok, slow rate (you can try modulating with the waves as well, but make it slow and barely noticable, the idea here is to create some movement on pitch, like the drift on an analogue machine...). You can do the same for filter 1, a very short modulation amount, a very slow LFO rate, just to add some slight movement to it...

OK, so unisson mode: 4, detune 38, pan spread from mid to full...

Chorus: Rate 9; Delay 12; Feedback +40; Shape Triangle; Mix 9 'o clock, Intensity Half (more or less, see what you like best, of course)...

Punch Intensity: if you want it smooth, bring it down...

Amp envelope, some attack, like middle or so, no decay, full sustain, some release...

Hope it helps, cheers...
Old 09.08.2012, 03:00 AM
New here

Thanks for the help! I was able to come up with a few variations too! You rock!
Old 09.08.2012, 06:19 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks a lot man! Glad to help!