Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 01.04.2007, 04:01 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Roland JP-8

Since Guzzy's recently acquired one.......

I bought mine from RL music in England. Its cost me a massive amount - £3000 ($5910 USD). But its in as new condition, fully serviced and restored, with 3 months warranty. Below are the sales pics from RLmusic.

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1144120/87e.jpg

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1144122/87e.jpg

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1144121/87e.jpg

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1144123/87e.jpg

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 01.04.2007, 06:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Very cool.....3000 notes tho! weeee

tom
Old 01.04.2007, 11:55 AM
Pro
Pro

Looks nice!

I would really love to have a JP8 too but I am too worried about how long these things will keep on working...
Old 01.04.2007, 01:26 PM

F5D

90% of the components in the JP8 are of the 'easy to source' variety.

There are a few custom IC's....but if these were going to go wrong....they would have done so many years ago. If you get a JP8 that is in reasonable cosmetic condition and has been serviced.....then there is absolutely no reason to be afraid.

BTW....I played on an Andromeda recently....for about 8 hours straight. It made me want to buy a JP8.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 01.04.2007, 02:54 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Nice one , hope it's true on a 1.April

I have some failures on mine, but shall be fixed soon:
1. Every 8 key is different in [Poly 1]-mode, something wrong with the the 8. osc-pair, in [poly 2] it's the 1. osc pair.

2. Portamento acting strange

3.Mastertune don't work on every key, twisting the mastertune button on every key

4. I don't know if this is a failure but in [Solo]-mode the notes have lowest-note priority
1. part played, holding down the lowest note while playing higher notes in [Poly 1] mode, in the last part I'm playing teh same in [Solo] , maybe You can test this one for me

Last edited by Guzzy : 01.04.2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01.04.2007, 07:29 PM

Guzzy - your JP8 just needs a good service. It'll sing once you've done that...

LOL...no its not an april fools! I look forward to sharing some classic patches with you. The JP8 is such a great analog bread and butter synth. One of the best for sure...

DS

Old 03.04.2007, 01:58 AM
Am starting to like this forum

DS--- wondering how you think the Andromeda stands up to your new beast. I love the Roland sound and have had one of almost every model, the JP8 being an exception.

So what are your thoughts about the Jp8 vs. the A6 ?
Old 03.04.2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsubs View Post
DS--- wondering how you think the Andromeda stands up to your new beast. I love the Roland sound and have had one of almost every model, the JP8 being an exception. So what are your thoughts about the Jp8 vs. the A6 ?
Soundsub -

Before I answer that, let me give you a bit of synth background info on me - this may help to put matters into context.

I first got into synths back in the summer of 2000. I was working on a building site (as a labourer), trying to save money before heading off to university. One, hot sunny day, I decided to head off site for lunch....and I stumbled across a music shop. I intuitively headed towards the keyboard section and started to have a tinker around. I instantly knew I wasnt playing a keyboard as such...but a synth. In fact, the first synth I ever had a play with was a Nord 2 (they had just come down in price to £1299 back then - wow i remember!). I was impressed by the way it sounded.....even more so by the MS2000 and SNII. But that day was to mark my destiny in more ways than one - it was the first time I discovered synths....but also the first time I discovered true analog (SCI Pro-One). Whilst playing around on the MS2000 and getting an earful from the sales guy about how fat its bass was etc etc...unknown to me...some random guy off the street had set up a Pro-One behind me. All of a sudden I was floored by the most dirty, rude bass sound I have ever heard....I turned my head...I saw that it was coming from this plastic thing with wooden side cheeks. I was immediately impressed, much to the sales guy's annoyance. There ws nothing in that room which could compete with the Pro-One. The guy told me it was analog.....a concept I had no real understanding of at the time. All I knew was that it sounded amazing....I bought it.

Since that moment, I went on to buy a Juno 60, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, Mono-Poly and DX7. You see, I love the sound of 80's music...and these we're the sort of synths used during that period. I was in heaven. But then something happened to my JP8 which immediately made me think I had alot of ticking time bombs on my hands. I sold the lot off (to a few mates).

Around 2003, I had convinced myself to move onto VA. Virus KC, TI, Nord 2 and JP8000. Initially, they intrigued me, but ultimately they bored me. In hindsight I now realise that spending the best part of 3 years with nothing but the best analogs had raised my expectations of what VA could offer beyond reasonable levels. For all the gadgets and features of VA...I just could never get satisfied with their tone. Remember, when i first played the Nord 2, MS2000 and SNII back in 2000....I *was* impressed - just goes to show how perceptions/opinions can change.

So, from the middle of 2003 to 2007, I grappled with VA. Unsatisfied, I turned to the Andromeda A6. Now, with all the mystique surrounding this board.....the unavailability and prospects of it going out of production... it kinda sent me into a frenzy to buy it. The reality was very very different....

In my opinion, the Andromeda is one of the single biggest let downs I've ever experienced. I was totally shocked at how shite its build quality was - and totally disapointed by its tone. I sat for 5 hours programming my own sounds (its pretty straightforward really)...and I thought it sounded dry, harsh and quite thin (I dont like sub oscilators on anything put bass and drones). Its very hard to explain, but it just sounded vanilla.....I actually hated the experience. I kept on feeling...why oh why have you tried to give it so many features....when the fundemental sound should have been the priority. I went back to the shop two days running and spent a total of 8 hours demoing it...and I did everything I could to try and enjoy it....to try and understand why some people rave about it. I just didnt see it personally. I will say one thing....having played the Andromeda made me realise just how much better a Virus is...particularly the KC and TI versions. I now appreaciate the Virus as having alot more character and musical results.

Comparing the Andromeda to a JP8 is a simple task. The JP8 is one of the best built synths ever made. Its probably the sexiest synth to look at and it sounds....well....faultless. The JP8 is everything the Andromeda is not. The JP8 is wet, warm and fat. Discreet oscilators and a musical filter that cannot be bettered. To me, the JP8 has been and always will be the pinnacle of analog synthesis. Its simple design is inspiring, its build quality is timeless and its sound is classic. You have to play/use one to believe it.

Check out Felix Da Housecat. JP8 exclusive tracks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZbBu9R-RFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLvP74R9kk

Whodini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzg7H8CYeT4

Buy a JP8 if you want to create a vibe....

DS

DS

Old 03.04.2007, 07:41 PM
Pro
Pro

Great, now I want a JP8

The pics of the one you got look fantastic btw, very very sexy.
Old 03.04.2007, 08:12 PM
Pro
Pro

I never could have believed that DS (after all that experience with analog synths) actually says that virus sounds better than andromeda. I agree that virus sounds good but imo what comes to the pure sound quality, the power of oscillator tones and the quality of filters, the a6 is the clear winner. It doesn't sound like a jupiter but it's still analog and it shows. After owning an andromeda over 3 years, I can say that nobody can really judge it before owning it at least for 1 year.

Anyway, I would also like to have a synth like andromeda with the tone of jupiter too. That would be really nice!