Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Closed Thread

Old 09.06.2006, 03:01 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Soft-clipping vs brickwall - now I understand, thanks. Bad news, though.

But why not a good software limiter? Actually nobody has said that here, but I have come across such advice: hardware limiter, also a dedicated synth amp rather than commercial. I hope it's bullshit.

Old 09.06.2006, 04:07 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Generally the only way you are going top trash a pair of studio monitors is if the line level out of the TI is going to go into you studio monitors un-attenuated - and thats assuming the gain control on the back of the monitors (if any) is also at -3dBfs or above, and that the monitors either have no limiter, or its not a full band limiter (for eg only protecting the bass drive unit).

If you can trash the monitors under other circumstances, then the chances are you were going to trash them one day anyway.

Personally I would *NEVER* stick my monitors directly into any digitally controlled synth (or quite alot of digital outboard) - so many of them have digital volume controls that can get reset to full level via a MIDI CC or some other means not directly under phsyical user control.

The only things I would plumb them into are devices where there is no way in hell anything other than me has control of the output level into the monitors. If you dont have that - then buy decent quality but cheap and minimal mixer or a monitor control box so that you have a hard gain control in line. (If you have golden ears and can tell the difference - go have a winge at whoever made it - they will probably hire you )

If you take control of gain staging to your monitors back into your own hands - then no way in hell you can blow them up from raw line level digital crap somewhere in your system - unless you also do something stupid - for eg maxing master volume because your gain staging was hosed.

Also if you monitors have a gain trim on the back - can be worth dropping it down a little bit - to at least -3dBfs - thats generally enough to protect most from raw crap at max line levels from a digital source. It also helps to protect for all the usual studio mishaps - mics left on, forgetting to zero the levels on guitars when done with them, forgetting to zero master monitoring levels before messing with a patch bay etc...

Some things about the new software world encourage a complete lack of old-school studio discipline that came about to safe guard gear (usually when some poor bastard had blown the hell out of something rare and expensive ) - worth picking up some of those habits at least as even in the purest of software environments, you still have some hardware in the form of your monitoring chain... If nothing else - get into the habit of sensible gain staging and zeroing levels of unsused gear or before messing with audio connections (or powering gear on/off).
Old 09.06.2006, 05:46 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Generally the only way you are going top trash a pair of studio monitors is if the line level out of the TI is going to go into you studio monitors un-attenuated - and thats assuming the gain control on the back of the monitors (if any) is also at -3dBfs or above, and that the monitors either have no limiter, or its not a full band limiter (for eg only protecting the bass drive unit).

If you can trash the monitors under other circumstances, then the chances are you were going to trash them one day anyway.

Personally I would *NEVER* stick my monitors directly into any digitally controlled synth (or quite alot of digital outboard) - so many of them have digital volume controls that can get reset to full level via a MIDI CC or some other means not directly under phsyical user control.

The only things I would plumb them into are devices where there is no way in hell anything other than me has control of the output level into the monitors. If you dont have that - then buy decent quality but cheap and minimal mixer or a monitor control box so that you have a hard gain control in line. (If you have golden ears and can tell the difference - go have a winge at whoever made it - they will probably hire you )

If you take control of gain staging to your monitors back into your own hands - then no way in hell you can blow them up from raw line level digital crap somewhere in your system - unless you also do something stupid - for eg maxing master volume because your gain staging was hosed.

Also if you monitors have a gain trim on the back - can be worth dropping it down a little bit - to at least -3dBfs - thats generally enough to protect most from raw crap at max line levels from a digital source. It also helps to protect for all the usual studio mishaps - mics left on, forgetting to zero the levels on guitars when done with them, forgetting to zero master monitoring levels before messing with a patch bay etc...

Some things about the new software world encourage a complete lack of old-school studio discipline that came about to safe guard gear (usually when some poor bastard had blown the hell out of something rare and expensive ) - worth picking up some of those habits at least as even in the purest of software environments, you still have some hardware in the form of your monitoring chain... If nothing else - get into the habit of sensible gain staging and zeroing levels of unsused gear or before messing with audio connections (or powering gear on/off).
well said there mate. I have my studio setup so my mix is always hitting my amp at 100% like a cd level. My amp volume is my master level for listening.
Old 09.06.2006, 08:27 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I filled in the Beta response form on the Access site.

Access are now saying I have a hardware fault and that I should return the unit for warranty repair.

This is the case even though it was quite well behaved under 1.09, better behaved than some other units on this forum.

I'm nearly at the end of the game here, I've paid out for the thing, done the updates etc, and now its a hardware fault !!!!

That Korg Radias is looking tempting......
Old 09.06.2006, 10:02 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I have lots of problems to, but then i realise that it is still the 2.6.2 driver that is being installed..

In the ableton tutorial it says "virus ti asio 2.7.2" on one of the pages.. What the hell? Anybody else see the same thing? I have uninstalled\reinstalled and so on.

BTW, today I popped my satansaw cherry..!
Three times in 15 minutes
Old 09.06.2006, 11:29 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Threlly, do you also use ableton live 5.2?

The TI 1.1.1 is basically unworkable for me in live now, much more stable in 109, but imported the midiloop and drums to cubase sx, and woa presto, not a single glitch..?

Strange stuff.
Old 09.06.2006, 12:49 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I'm on an Intel Mac now, so I cant use the driver, VC or Midi via USB.
All my problems are in standalone mode.

Don't get me wrong, its a great synth, but it doesn't work, and I'm not letting ?1200 become a paperweight.

I wouldn't have these issues with a Radias, Nord or Novation.

What I would lose in flexibility I would gain in reliability.

enoughs enough.

Anybody got a good swap for a mint Desktop TI ?
Old 09.06.2006, 06:30 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Khazul, I don't quite understand what you say, except that direct connection to ti card is dangerous for amp or monitors and that vst limiters are not to be fully trusted here, and that the output level must be strictly controlled.

what about just an audiocard like audiophile - would it act the same way as a hw mixer, eg protect the amp?
Old 09.06.2006, 06:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Perhaps - but as far as I am personally concerned - unless the thing has a real hardware volume control that cant be messed with via software - I wouldnt trust it.
Old 09.06.2006, 08:13 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz1
Yep min estill pops and clicks in ableton 5.2 on a powerbook 1ghz on OSX 10.3.9 playing the demo song at 256 or 512 latency setting...
Crap sandwich!
Does anyone know the email to get in touch about the beta?
Is it the same as the support address on their website?
Cheers
D
10.3.9 is the weak link here at a guess
Closed Thread