Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 09.08.2009, 03:49 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default What monitors should i get?

Hey folk,

So im in desperate need of some monitors. I'm currently look at getting the KRK RP6 Rokit 6 G2 with sub. Also looking at the mackie HR624's. Thoughts people? Any better suggestions? Round the above price range.

Cheers
Old 09.08.2009, 04:06 AM
Am starting to like this forum

I would definitely avoid getting a sub and would just get 8" monitors instead if you want the low end. A sub is likely to cause a lot more problems than it will solve unless your room is big or is treated really well.

They're a little bit more expensive but you might look at the Dynaudio BM6as too.

Honestly though what you've really got to do is head to a music shop with a couple tunes that you know really well, and demo a bunch of monitors.
Old 09.08.2009, 05:34 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Be sure to consider the ADAM and Dynaudio range, I use ADAM A7s and absolutely adore them, their imaging and treble response are the best I've heard (and I did compare with the Mackie's too at the store when I bought these).

Dynaudios are also extremely well regarded, the BM5A and BM6As

Good luck
Old 09.08.2009, 12:18 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Stick with Mackie 624's or 824's (mk2).
Never heard better
Old 09.08.2009, 02:47 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Smile

Seconded for the mackie HR824's
Old 09.08.2009, 10:36 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default my 2 cents

I would definately not suggest Mackies if you want to hear into your mix, just A/B them with a pair of Adams or Focals and you will see that even the attack transients on kicks are hard to really see into with Mackie's.

I have been looking into monitors aswell and have come across Focal CMS 65's, just check out their website and look at the positive reveiws. On listening to them they are very detailed with enough bass extension.

I also considered Dynaudio BM6As and found through listening to them and reading forums that they emphasis the low and top end too much and forget about the mid range where a lot of stuff goes on in electronic music. They have also been around for too long.

Adams are good, I think the A7s are a bit bright and lacking in bass extension though. If your budget could extend to the P22a's they have loadssss of bass.

Seriously check out the Focals CMS 65's, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/cms-line/cms-65.php

See "Press" section for reviews.

Focal make some of the highest end domestic speaker systems around.
Old 10.08.2009, 08:48 PM
Pro
Pro

Hope this helps you a little.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...cal-solo6.html

and this may help a little more

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1634177&mpage=2

On the Mackie front I find their PA systems better than their monitors for reasons previously mentioned. I love mackie mixers for their warm eq's but do feel their speakers are on the hard side. The KRK's are quite harsh and seem to be flavour of the month (NS10's) ring a bell?

Avoid SUB unless you got good acoustic surroundings particularly if you are mixing stereo imho.

The bottom line is everyone hears everything differently to a degree which leads to opinions being subjective.

As advuised. Take you favourite music tracks you know well and in the styles you will be mixing and get a demo down your local store to make up your own mind. Listen to you own ears and not the salesman! I believe in listening to a wide genre of music for self satisfaction and some classical/orchestral whether its classics or soundtrack scores.

Bear in mind surroundings will impact what you hear in your studio/room/setup/rig. Room acoustics have a lot to do with this and speaker positioning. Are you requiring passive or active?
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.ph...opic=15833&hl=

Anyway good luck and let us know what you do...on the edge of getting some new boom boom boom boxes myself so a useful thread ;~)

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 22.08.2009, 08:50 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Send a message via ICQ to Analog Warriors

Genelec, Mackies or KRKs ... or EVENT if you can't afford one of the first three.

all of these companys build great active monitors, choose the model you like most. Like Hobbit said: take your favourite music tracks (but they have to be good quality) to a music store neer you and try some different types.

Analog Warriors
Old 23.08.2009, 03:04 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

like everyone said, take some music that you are really familiar with and A/B a bunch of monitors. I recently traded in my Mackie HR824s for a pair of Dynaudio BM5as and am extremely happy with them.