Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 20.10.2009, 09:04 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default I Have a Polar. Now What??

I was hoping for a TI desktop and even emailed a guy about his C (but he never got back to me). found a deal on a Polar TI2 that I could not pass up. I am a total newbie at synthesis, which is why I considered getting a lower-priced model without all the bells and whistles. I do not know how to program synthesizers. What would you recommend as the best way to get to know this synth, short of just tooling around with it? Are there good books or ezine articles, etc? Synthesis seems like a pretty broad topic; are there baby steps I can take, etc? Basically, I want to get the most out of this unit and am looking for tips on how to do so. Many thanks.
Old 20.10.2009, 10:50 PM
New here
New here

Now you give it some one who has invested their time to learn what to do with a.... PROFESIONAL piece of audio equipment. Someone who deserves it. people like you piss me off......ever heard this "RTFM" it stands for READ THE FUCKING MANUAL.
Old 20.10.2009, 11:22 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

"Subtractive synthesis" is what you're looking at with the Virus. You start with a sound (an oscillator, or several), and then filter (similar to EQ) and shape and process it to get the sound you want.

At its most basic, synthesis has three elements: Oscillators, Filters, Amplifiers.

Oscillators are the sound generators. They generate waveforms that you can hear, and are controlled in pitch via the keyboard.
The Filters control the brightness or mellowness of the sound over time.
The Amplifier controls the changes of volume of the sound over time.

Here's a good overall explanation of subtractive synthesis and common synthesizer controls as a whole: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...8/2ansynth.htm

As soon as you get the TI you'll just want to play with the presets as they're excellent and comprehensive. Probably the most tweaked knob on any synthesiser is the "cutoff" knob. It controls the filter, making it bright or mellow. The "resonance" intensifies the frequency of the filters' cutoff at any given time, which makes for nice filter sweeps or sometimes acid-type dance sounds.

After a while it's good to load up an initialised sound and start tweaking to see what affects what. You'll be able to hear what each of the waveforms of the oscillator waveforms sound like (Sine = very dull and bassy, Triangle is dull and quite flute-like, Square sounds like woodwind, like an oboe, but is also great for drum-n-bass type basses, Sawtooth is the brightest sounding waveform and is the staple of trance sounds.)
You'll be able to see how the Amplifier controls can be used to control how fast or slow the attack or release is of a sound (if it fades in gently or immediately, or if it fades out gently or abruptly, etc.)

Check out Howard Scarr's Virus Programming tutorial, too: http://www.zorchmusic.com/hscarr/Vir...al_English.zip

May take you a year to pick up everything, but you should get the basics quickly if you just play around and use your ears. The manual is of course helpful.
Old 20.10.2009, 11:41 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Now you give it some one who has invested their time to learn what to do with a.... PROFESIONAL piece of audio equipment. Someone who deserves it. people like you piss me off......ever heard this "RTFM" it stands for READ THE FUCKING MANUAL.
Dont be angry, he earned the money and spent it how he chose to. If you could have afforded a Virus when you were learning you would probably have bought one.Beside the TI manual is pretty vague if your new to synthesis. And if it dosnt work out for him someone will get a good price on a fairly new TI.

And Timos right. Learn the basics Osc, Filters, Envelopes And Lfos, probably in that order. Use the VC plugin to pull up patches and disect them.
Old 21.10.2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
"As soon as you get the TI you'll just want to play with the presets as they're excellent and comprehensive.
This is a very good suggestion. I have learned a lot about sound design and synthesis by "reverse engineering" presets.
Old 21.10.2009, 12:32 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
dude the manuel/documentation on the virus is shit...shortbus is right...i am/was a newbie learning with the virus. whats the point of getting a crap piece of equipment if you want to learn about music/synthesis properly...
Old 21.10.2009, 12:34 AM
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
"Subtractive synthesis" is what you're looking at with the Virus. You start with a sound (an oscillator, or several), and then filter (similar to EQ) and shape and process it to get the sound you want.

At its most basic, synthesis has three elements: Oscillators, Filters, Amplifiers.

Oscillators are the sound generators. They generate waveforms that you can hear, and are controlled in pitch via the keyboard.
The Filters control the brightness or mellowness of the sound over time.
The Amplifier controls the changes of volume of the sound over time.

Here's a good overall explanation of subtractive synthesis and common synthesizer controls as a whole: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...8/2ansynth.htm

As soon as you get the TI you'll just want to play with the presets as they're excellent and comprehensive. Probably the most tweaked knob on any synthesiser is the "cutoff" knob. It controls the filter, making it bright or mellow. The "resonance" intensifies the frequency of the filters' cutoff at any given time, which makes for nice filter sweeps or sometimes acid-type dance sounds.

After a while it's good to load up an initialised sound and start tweaking to see what affects what. You'll be able to hear what each of the waveforms of the oscillator waveforms sound like (Sine = very dull and bassy, Triangle is dull and quite flute-like, Square sounds like woodwind, like an oboe, but is also great for drum-n-bass type basses, Sawtooth is the brightest sounding waveform and is the staple of trance sounds.)
You'll be able to see how the Amplifier controls can be used to control how fast or slow the attack or release is of a sound (if it fades in gently or immediately, or if it fades out gently or abruptly, etc.)

Check out Howard Scarr's Virus Programming tutorial, too: http://www.zorchmusic.com/hscarr/Vir...al_English.zip

May take you a year to pick up everything, but you should get the basics quickly if you just play around and use your ears. The manual is of course helpful.
very succinct and easily digestible. I'm going to copy and paste your reply into an email for myself. Many thanks!!
Old 21.10.2009, 08:51 AM
New here
New here

You guys misunderstand my point here completely....read the topic... "I Have a Polar. Now What??"....... when i got my TI I was over the MOON! I couldnt stop playing with it, I crawled the net just to find anything on it, i read the manual 3 times. it was my BABY.....on the same note I had ATLEAST messed around with software synths BEFORE making such a purchase...this topic says....."I Have a synth...do my work...make me cool....make me famous...." Sorry man if it worked like that we'd all be Prodigy/Faithless
Old 21.10.2009, 10:46 AM
Pro
Pro

Uh I think you misread his post tbh... He simply asked is there a better way to learn then via aimless experimentation. Valid question.

My personal opinion is, just go wild on it.. make songs... try to change patches to what suits the track or what you start to hear. The more you do, the more you learn. I've barely scratched the surface of the Virus or what it can do but I am learning more all the time.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 22.10.2009, 03:42 AM
New here

Quote:
You guys misunderstand my point here completely....read the topic... "I Have a Polar. Now What??"....... when i got my TI I was over the MOON! I couldnt stop playing with it, I crawled the net just to find anything on it, i read the manual 3 times. it was my BABY.....on the same note I had ATLEAST messed around with software synths BEFORE making such a purchase...this topic says....."I Have a synth...do my work...make me cool....make me famous...." Sorry man if it worked like that we'd all be Prodigy/Faithless
LOL. I said none of that. You can look at my unedited original post if you doubt my words.