Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 11.08.2013, 12:45 PM
New here
New here

Default Indigo 2 / Virus C LCD Replacement

The display on my Access Indigo (VERSION TWO) was hard to read unless the room was dark.
This annoyed me so much I was willing to risk damaging it to replace the display with one that was easier to read.

I ordered the following:

Everboquet mc16021e8-sblw
http://www.newark.com/everbouquet/mc...MC16021E8-SBLW

The difference:

* LED back lit. The original was fluorescent front lit.
* More blue than than indigo in color.
* The 4 screw holes are a tiny bit too small. They had to be shaved larger with an x-acto knife.

I'd rather have gotten a nice OLED or fluorescent display, but was unable to find a source matching the same form factor.

The most important thing when hunting for an alternative LCD display is getting one with a matching form factor. The Virus C/Indigo 2 use the uncommon 84mm x 44mm form size. Any other size will not fit without additional modifications.

Unsoldering the ribbon cable from the original display was difficult. Soldering it back on the replacement was a paint too.
In hindsight, I'd source out a ribbon cable with single in-line 16 pin connectors on both ends and solder pins onto the LCD module.

Here are some photos

Before:

While taking it apart I noticed this ad hoc revision on the DSP.

Use an x-acto knife to widen the screw holes a bit.

The original display (top) handled bleedthru from the fluorescent lamp by painting over it with black paint (or fingernail polish). I did the same with the replacement (bottom) using a permanent black marker and electrical tape.

After:

Regards,

Patrick Manderson
https://www.youtube.com/user/pmanderson70/videos
Old 15.08.2013, 08:22 AM
Pro
Pro

Pretty cool color. I have the KC and although really love the 'demonic red' LED's all on panel, I too find that unless very low lighting, it's somewhat hard to read being both: a flat reflective surface, and would much prefer more of a black background with the 'demonic red' parameter information.

Since you obviously know your soldering iron and steady handy-work to sort this; would there be an option to think **outside the box** and place a type of angled-facing-slightly toward Virus Pilot that could be at it's apex height almost height of a knob, with an all-rectangular enclosure to where it could then somehow be mounted *over* dimensions of 'the hole' where the ribbon cable would be sight-unseen and possibly go OLED? I am talking aesthetically very neat but also entirely utilitarian without having to really alter any electronic connection, just positioning?!
Do not get me wrong, I really love the Industrial Design of the Virus KC, just always bothered a bit by fact it would have been cool to have that screen designed on a movable tandem if one so desired, like a mini-Korg Oasis sort of thing, sans the touch screen and size.
Old 15.08.2013, 02:28 PM
New here
New here

I don't think it's hard to read it at any angle with it where it's at now.
However, building a display out of the case could get in the way of the knobs and buttons adjacent to the display.

Last edited by pmanderson : 15.08.2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 17.10.2013, 07:39 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanderson View Post
I don't think it's hard to read it at any angle with it where it's at now.
However, building a display out of the case could get in the way of the knobs and buttons adjacent to the display.
I am about to do this myself to my Indigo 2. I am assuming I just have to de-solder the old cable, then solder it to the new lcd in the same pin/cable orientation?
Old 17.10.2013, 09:00 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Unsure how I missed this thread, but superb contribution! Didn't altering the LCD contrast setting (in the CTRL menu) help at all, before installing the new LCD?

Great photos and instructions, and end result. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Thus far, my own Indigo1 LCD shows no sign of losing clarity, fortunately (touches wood).
Old 20.10.2013, 07:51 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I recently tried a screen swap with my Redback Indigo 2 and my C desktop.

the screen in the desktop is higher contrast with a nearly black background whereas the Redbacks screen has a dark red background with lighter red characters.

when I had them both cracked open I was surprised to find the LCD pc boards were surprisingly different from one another.

when I had successfully swapped them and powered them up the desktop screen (transplanted from the Redback) maintained its brightness and low contrast characteristic.

the REDBACK screen (transplanted from the desktop c) however was VERY dim both in background and foreground.

thankfully when swapped back to their synths of origin all was thankfully back to normal.

whew!
Old 09.08.2019, 07:55 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Hi Guys - I see this post its quiet old - however, I hope somebody will still watch it and reply .

I have the same issue with the LCD for my Indigo 1. LCD part identical as Indigo 2.
However, I managed to find an oled display with the same form factor but its not working ( might be since the controller indicated in the specs is not the same as for the original one - HD44780 vs WS0010 ).
Also - I wonder if I did something wrong also... for instance, I soldered the cable on both sides ( this was because there were contacts on both sides of the LCD plate).
Thanks for your input guys.