Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 03.02.2012, 12:34 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Akai Max49

Wow... I just saw this. I might have to pick one up when available. Just wonder if the touch faders work as well as they look? Having several of my fingers on one hand working different parameters or mixer faders at once seems like panacea to so many things. Are there other controllers that do this I already missed? And will the pads feel like a true MPC? Might have a winner here.

http://www.akaipro.com/max49

Only thing I don't like is I'd like to have at least 4 knobs because I'm used to them and need to graduate into the new world slowly. I still like mechanical switches on things despite also appreciating touch.
Old 03.02.2012, 07:27 AM
Pro
Pro

The touch faders make me think of TouchOSC on the ipad - it really is SO much more intuitive having a visual display sitting at the exact parameter setting, being able to see audio signal amounts as well as fader level settings etc when your tabbing through menus or mixing stuff live. We use TouchOSC wired in to Ableton to do all our live looping and mixing of multiple laptops/synths/vox for Lilt and i definitely rate it.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 03.02.2012, 02:09 PM

If the responsiveness of those touch faders is as good as a multitouch tablet or phone, I'd probably be quite happy with this. The MPC pads would be a welcome addition to -- I've got 8 pads on my Novation controller but they are pretty useless as drum pads go.
Old 03.02.2012, 04:26 PM
Pro
Pro

Agreed, the novation pads (if your talking the SL) are bloody awful to play

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 03.02.2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
Agreed, the novation pads (if your talking the SL) are bloody awful to play
Yep, the one in question is a Remote 49 SL Compact that I've had for many years. Its a nice controller overall, but I gave up on the drum pads the first day I owned it (comparing it at the time to the Akai MPD16 I was using). The other thing I don't like about the Remote SL it is the tactile feedback (incremental clicking) of the knobs, I prefer smooth knob action like the modwheel moves. Minor beefs that somehow matter a lot to me, so I'm always looking for my perfect controller. Automap software is very cool though, it looks as though this new Akai controller has something similar.
Old 28.10.2012, 03:48 PM
Pro
Pro

I have a Novation Sl MK II 61 and I make my own templates for external sound modules and skip the automap alltogether as it's just not intuitive for me at least. Wanted to chime-in on the pads, which I ONLY use to trigger an already set-up arp, sample, etc., but not for any percussion. I DO wish Novation would have kept BOTH 144 character displays and is odd because that second display is on the far right but just not utilized...anyone else find this odd?