Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.03.2013, 10:58 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Any Elektron Monomachine users here?

Finally got a manual for my Elektron Monomachine sfx-60 mk1 and it's a very very deep instrument with 6 internal and 6 external midi sequencers(can be used at same time), audio inputs, 18 lfo's, each internal and external track has dedicated arp that's incredibly versatile, with 5 different types of synthesizers within it, to include a WILD FM+. Will take some studying and a lot of practice but wanted to share this youtube example of Monomachine sequencing a Virus Ti, with of course the Monomachine's inherent synths as well. Has incredible midi specs and with this video there's just cool visualizations that go with audio but more importantly, please take time to read the comments and answers from this musician to virus owners, et al, to see the massive possibilities. There's also a poly and poly chord mode, even though it's name is MONOmachine, I really think this beast is a great match for any Virus, esp. a 61 key Virus as it fits with space to spare on the landing strip to the right of our lovely knobby surface!
Wondering if anyone on this forum have employed and/or experimented with the monomachine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG99M...endscreen&NR=1 and from same musician, a more trance style with virus Ti and monomachine....cool stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...2q93Wpw3M&NR=1 another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEFc8sLdsB4 and one last one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EGfWD86Jo

Last edited by namnibor : 17.03.2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 17.03.2013, 04:29 AM
This forum member lives here

Honestly wasn't even aware of this particular device, it looks something like a groove box, is that right?
Old 17.03.2013, 04:34 AM
Pro
Pro

Don't be shy! I KNOW there's other infeKted Virus lads and lassies that must have some experience in-use...?
Old 17.03.2013, 04:52 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Honestly wasn't even aware of this particular device, it looks something like a groove box, is that right?
Yes but way WAY more than what that definition would employ. From wavetable synthesis, FM, SuperWave, VO--consonants and vowels formant synthesis, drum kits, dedicated effect engine, SID (commodore 64) Synth...12 sequencers with from what following manual through exercises, display exceptional midi timing....a very deep machine and I bought an used first/MK1 version for a gr8 price, they have a newer version that even allows one to import user sample waves. The manual is very well-written, while encouraging freedom and creativity. Admittedly, it has it's own 'work flow' that I will have to learn but like anything, once the interface is learned, it's like a musical instrument that's malleable as moist piece of clay in it's potential uses. Elektron is a very small Swedish Co. and would say much smaller than DSI, BUT they have QUICKLY answered every question almost immediately.
I learned about them when the Elektron Analog 4 was released. My DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard covers that territory very well but what Elektron employ on their "machines" is something called "Parameter Locks" and probably best to go to electron.se and read/watch their videos to see why this is SO cool! Deep! These 5 different synthesis engines have various machines within them and yes, you can connect a midi controller or any synth via midi OR via audio inputs and use Parameter Locks even on that...it's brilliant in it's complexity!
Old 17.03.2013, 11:20 AM
Pro
Pro

Here's an example of only Monomachine doing Depeche Mode's "Wrong", and it's not a microphone type vocoder here as one of the synth machines is VO which actually has all consonants and vowels to do what you here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_QHqsjLMryY
Old 17.03.2013, 03:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Looks super nice. Liked the videos you posted.
Old 17.03.2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post

Yes but way WAY more than what that definition would employ.
I figured it was quite a bit more and that I was running the risk of over-summarizing, I just thought it seemed to have the fundamental characteristics of a groove machine (lots of sequencer functionality, monophonic nature, etc).
Old 17.03.2013, 08:31 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
I figured it was quite a bit more and that I was running the risk of over-summarizing, I just thought it seemed to have the fundamental characteristics of a groove machine (lots of sequencer functionality, monophonic nature, etc).
Yes, but you *can* have poly-mode with the six internal and 6 external sequencers AND you have the flexibility to even choose from Major/Minor/Aug/Dim Chords in 'stacked' machines on a given track. I am not saying it's the panacea of sequencers but as a versatile tool to augment one's DAW with hands-on immediate control and of course sound design....whole, held notes over whatever one wants is possible, not being limited by the 'monophonic sequencer step paradigm', and am seeing that it's a very versatile modulation sequencer using those very Parameter Locks.
Let me just say it has actually opened-up a creativity universe and fact it not only speaks fluent midi, but also can rec'v say sysex or nprn data from the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard...frakin' sick!
Old 17.03.2013, 08:43 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
To be fair, one of elektron's other machines, The MacineDrum is more definable as a "groovebox", as the Monomachine is a combo of 5 different proper synths with very deep modulation, that also happen to have 6 internal sequencers and 6 external midi sequencers that can be used at same time, plus using external audio anything as an input to this monstrosity! Hope that helps!
Old 18.03.2013, 12:08 AM
Pro
Pro

Thought I'd tell you why I have been experimenting 'outside the computer' at the moment with hardware, but ultimately hardware will get inside the DAW. Although have a separate pretty massive DAW PC build that's dedicated only to music and some video work am learning, and am indeed learning Reaper as I really love that it's customizable in every way to what I personally think to be 'intuitive', as it were, and not CPU-hungry as many of others are, as I am working with audio, and slowly wrapping my head around the importance of having 'sister midi track' for automation, of which to this been-away-from-music-tech for few decades because of military obligations; let's just say I am glad I have no 'deadlines' other than my own personal motivation because as crazy as this world can be, am a bit full of trepidation in whom would possibly trust to tutor at my home, synth-based man-cave studio, without fear of getting ripped off by zombie crack head types. (I moved 2 1/2 yrs ago to this considered to be safest, quaint, semi-upscale village for safety and before even starting home studio once the Veteran Admn. finally got my pension sorted rightly) So perhaps my inherent military training has made me a bit overprotective! Purchased some Reaper professional tutorial dvd's from http://www.groove3.com/str/ , which wanted to share because they have a lot of other daw and vsti tutorials at a great price and purely helpful learning without bunch of 'fluff'.
So to my orig. point here: I love the Virus KC (using the Virus KB as both controller for waldorf Q and XT and effects), but was really hitting the proverbial wall with Multi-mode, so when an excellent deal came my way on first version of elektron's monomachine, has opened some mental doors in the hardware synths communicating, while realizing the more one learns, the more one realizes how much more there is to learn! (this is not a complaint as tend to roll that way in loving to learn knew things)
The idea has struck me that the Virus Ti2 total integration is incredibly tempting and if Virus Control was such that it worked without a snag 100% in all settings, would surely sell the KC for Ti2 61 Keyboard. However, from what I read on this and other great forums in a lot of issues with VC in-use; would it be pragmatic to just wait and see what Access may release next incarnation while I properly learn all that's on my learning plate? I definitely have the wavetable stuff covered as well as diverse synths until I may weed out a few possible redundancies. Would Virus Control 'play nice' with other hardware like Monomachine and other midi synths at same time?
This post is prime example of how electron monomachine has facilitated looking creatively 'outside the box'.