Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 21.05.2010, 04:50 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default easy one - Getting sound in C5 using Access Virus Classic

Hope here is the right place to post it. Well, it is my first synth and I can’t get any sound using Cubase 5 and Novation SL MK2. I started hooking midi cable IN (virus) and midi OUT (sl mk2)… what’s next?
I suppose that I need very basic information… I read manual, searched access website and I’ve google around but all information I got is regarding Virus TI.
Since I always have being using vst plugins, I’ve never really cared about how a V.A. works/connects… well one needs to start somehow.
My setup: i7, XP 64, C5, m-audio studiophile 2496, novation sl mk 2, virus classic
I apologize for such newbie question.
tks
Old 22.05.2010, 02:58 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

MIDI cables do not carry audio information. I'm afraid you'll have to connect the audio outputs on your synth to the audio inputs on your audio interface and then enable the inputs in Cubase.
Old 22.05.2010, 03:39 PM
New here

thanks, PaPi.

now I tried this: I connected cable midi OUT (midi controller) in virus midi IN (to capture midi signal from midi controller) and then I connected cable audio output (virus) in audio input (soundcard).

I added an external instrument bus in C5 and routed to my soundcard output. Any clue? still no sound.
Old 22.05.2010, 10:21 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

You're getting a bit confused here.

Connect the MIDI out on your controller to the MIDI in on your M-Audio interface. Connect the MIDI out on your M-Audio interface to the MIDI in on the Virus. Connect the audio outputs (L+R) on the Virus to the audio inputs on your M-Audio interface (1+2.) Now the hardware is OK (assuming all drivers are correctly in place and working and that the audio outputs on your audio interface are connected to your speakers.) Time to set up the software. Open Cubase and enable the Novation SL MK2 as your MIDI device. Create a MIDI/audio track and enable the 1+2 inputs on the M-Audio interface. That's it.
Old 23.05.2010, 11:36 AM
New here

Connect the MIDI out on your controller to the MIDI in on your M-Audio interface./ considering that my controller is connected via usb and it is still working pretty fine in Cubase, is it necessary to connect an extra midi out cable (from controller to the sound card)?
Connect the MIDI out on your M-Audio interface to the MIDI in on the Virus. done!
Connect the audio outputs (L+R) on the Virus to the audio inputs on your M-Audio interface (1+2.) done!
Now the hardware is OK (assuming all drivers are correctly in place and working and that the audio outputs on your audio interface are connected to your speakers.) ok! All drivers are placed and working well.
Time to set up the software. Open Cubase and enable the Novation SL MK2 as your MIDI device. done!
Create a MIDI/audio track and enable the 1+2 inputs on the M-Audio interface. That's it. done!
Still no sound. But thanks for all your patient.
Old 23.05.2010, 08:09 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

> considering that my controller is connected via usb and it is still working pretty fine in Cubase, is it necessary to connect an extra midi out cable (from controller to the sound card)?

No, it's not, USB is fine (same thing.) I wasn't familiar with that controller, I wrongly assumed it was an older keyboard with no USB.

> Still no sound. But thanks for all your patient.

Hmm, maybe something is actually broken.

OK, I just thought of something else. Did you enable "echo on" in Cubase for MIDI and audio? That might be the reason why you have no sound, though I believe the default is on.
Another thing you may want to check: have you enabled the M-Audio interface's MIDI in/out in Cubase?
Old 28.05.2010, 03:44 PM
New here

I finally got the virus perfectly sounding in C5. After many connecting cables attempts and asking all forums around, the problem was in the Virus in/output midi routing options... I may say that it is not easy to navigate on it and I only could make it sounds on C5 after resetting the Virus. Probably when I bought the virus it came with a weird routing that’s why I couldn’t figure out.

The connection which works for me:
Soundcard (E-MU 1616 pci) midi OUT to Virus midi IN. Audio OUT of virus to audio IN soundcard (1616 mixer software - added send to input channel to route asio channel).
Midi controller (SL MK2) connected via USB
C5 – midi track: input / all midi inputs and output / soundcard (emu 1616) midi port

Thanks for your help
Old 28.05.2010, 08:44 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

You're welcome. Glad it's finally working.