Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 31.03.2004, 05:57 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Default Digital desks

Whats everyones view on digital desks?

Got the yamha o1x and have noticed the tracks sound a hell of a lot diffeent but do people actually prefer digital sounding desks?

Or do you prefer an analoge souning one?

Views please?
Old 13.04.2004, 01:11 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Yeah thats what I thought
Old 13.04.2004, 01:57 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Ok I tell you wht I think not to sure if its Digital I think its MLAN I mean though its digital data when u got say 3 stereo imputs plus about 8 ins and out traveling down one cable you must lose quality!!!

To me it allmost takes that live fat sound away and replaces it with an over clean crappy thin digital sound!!

I really just cant make freinds with it so for me Im going back to my roots lol!!

Surely there must be views on this when everything seems to be going either digital or virtual!

View welcome
Old 13.04.2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I don't know much, but when I get a desk it's going to be an old analogue one, something second-hand but still decent and well looked-after. Like an A&H GS3, or Soundcraft Spirit Studio or (albeit more expensively) a Ghost, or somesuch.

Apparently the Mackie DB8 sounds terrible.
Old 13.04.2004, 07:46 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

My personal opinion: Digital desks are really good, but not the cheap ones for home recording purposes... I suggest putting that money on a decent audiocard with lots of ins and outs instead. If you also got a really good computer and some nice plugins you don't need the eq and effects on the desks either, and you get much better audio quality. But it's really nice with hands on experience though. a mixing desk is nicer to work with. Some years ago digital mixing desks served an important purpose: they handled a bit of the effects that regular computers then didn't have the power to do.
So my opinion is that with the computers of today, you don't really need a digital mixing desk. I would have spend that money on the computer and software instead. If you search for the hands on experience you could also get a midi controller desk to mix with your sequencer program, if you use one of course.
Old 13.04.2004, 07:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

dump the desk and get a good sound card with in &out expantion box
midiman, creamware or rme,also try esi
very nice price and i heard its good
Old 13.04.2004, 11:30 PM

I have always liked the sound of Analogue EQs.

I think to get a good Digi desk, the money you have to spend is crazy, but to get a nice sounding Analogue desk with sweet EQs is much more affordable.

If I was thinking about spening the money for a cheaper Digi desk, I would rather buy a multi-in and out sound card.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 14.04.2004, 11:20 AM
Amateur
Amateur

For me this is such an important topic to touch up on because i really think i should just get a 10 in 10 out soundcard! which one I dont know but well up for some opinions!!

I mean do people like myself really need a mixer when i do everything in SX and add all my reverbs and compression with plugs etc!!

The O1X had an on board soundcard/ audio interface which looked lovely but really didn't like the sound of atall just like I said it sounds almost to fake and thin shitty bitty sound!!

So then I was really thinking of sending it back and getting a beasty yamaha desk but really do I need one I think im gonna have to go with some of you guys and just get a really good soundcard and have no mixer atall! and with the change get a nord and get some more ram!!

Do you think eventually dance music without live instruments and live percusion/ vocals will need mixers??

Also last thing whats the power core sound card like? read in to it but does anyone have one on here?? would like to heard view on this thanks!!!

Sorted geeeeezerzzzz
Old 14.04.2004, 12:21 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Timo - whereabouts in England are you?

Reason being - I am thinking of selling my Soundcraft S200B delta desk.

PM me if it is of interest to you.
Old 14.04.2004, 12:24 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

303lovesit -

Quote:
I mean do people like myself really need a mixer when i do everything in SX and add all my reverbs and compression with plugs etc!!
Not in my opinion you don't - A good soundcard would definately do the job (see your other post in the Gen. discussion forum for my response).