Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 22.12.2011, 07:18 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Cagematch: Melody vs. Mix

Recently I started backfilling my mp3 collection, via perfectly legal (at least by Russian standards) means. I was trying to fill in the gap between currently popular and popular a few years ago, with an admitted emphasis on the genre of "trance", whatever that label means to you.

Expectedly, the type of music that I think lends itself (natively) to a VA synth like the Virus may have fallen "out of style" as they say. Please note the usage of "natively", because I believe a good synth is capable of such a range of sounds that its up to the artist to relay to the listener what it does (or could) sound like. A synthesizer does not amount to too much until it is played in a certain style or processed in a certain way.

The one thing I've noticed, and maybe I am getting old, is that things like autotuning, wobbly gimmicks and other technical tactics or techniques seem to be more in favor when it comes to popular electronic music. Maybe by "popular" I mean "frequently played" rather than "what people like". If that last sentence is true, then the day music died may have already arrived

Honestly I've been listening to some 2000-2006 trance, and the melodies and chord progressions of that era seem to me to be so engaging and meaningful compared to some of the more modern stuff I hear. Don't get me wrong, I like hearing Skrillex fart into the microphone and all that, I appreciate it both from an engineer and proctologist standpoint, but it's probably not a tune I would whistle in the shower, if that makes sense?

Does melody matter to anyone anymore? Love to hear your thoughts.
Old 23.12.2011, 11:24 PM
Infektion taking hold...

It matters to me, and the guys I am presently making music with. But I do agree, it seems painfully lacking elsewhere.
Old 24.12.2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Boogie View Post
It matters to me, and the guys I am presently making music with. But I do agree, it seems painfully lacking elsewhere.
I wonder if the fact that mp3 players and smartphones are now the way people are most likely to hear their music has anything to do with changes in taste?

25-30 years ago, most of the folks I knew that were really into music (listening to it, not necessarily making it) had elaborate, big speaker, high wattage stereo systems in their home. In the mid 80's, I paid around $1000 for a high-end Kenwood car stereo (considered a lot back then), yet it only played cassettes!

These days its earbuds and a smartphone for many folks. No doubt, when you hear a mix that is optimized for this type of device, it can standout more and give a perception of "better listening". But, that seems like technical success rather than musical success to me? Not that the two should ever be mutually exclusive, but I hope I never lose perspective.
Old 24.12.2011, 07:04 PM
Infektion taking hold...

You're probably right, but for me at least, I refuse to go the MP3 route. Actually just recently re-connected my turntable up to my stereo at home, and spinning vinyl again. Just last night, listening to an old record, I realised how much better it sounds than a CD. Even with the occasional pop or crackle, the fidelity is pure, and the music has life. can't get that out of a smart phone, I don't think. Merry Christmas to ya!