Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 21.01.2014, 09:29 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default I love this about Massive, and I cannot seem to get the same thing on my Virus TI.

Massive has some interesting sounds in its FX section, which seem to be more than just waveforms. These are pulsating sounds, and when being put through Massive's own phase modulation OSC it can result in an effect I cannot seem to achieve on my Virus.

It's this effect: http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/47911550/file.html
The first part is just the waveform (named Luna, on Bend -/+, for those who care, here's the settings: http://puu.sh/6tlhN.png). The second part I'm dialing in the phase mod.

The great thing is that this creates a very unique sound I'm after. It has a solid, reese like, low end and a very crispy high end.

I don't know for the life of me how to recreate this. I have tried a wavetable on OSC1 and OSC2, dialing in the phase and freq mod, but nothing happens that comes close to Massive's rawness. I have even tried to recreate the base sound by pitch LFOing a sine on OSC2, which recreates the base sound. But I cannot seem to create something with OSC1 + phase/freqmod that comes close.

Does anyone know how to achieve this? It's very much appreciated
Old 22.01.2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33s View Post
Massive has some interesting sounds in its FX section, which seem to be more than just waveforms. These are pulsating sounds, and when being put through Massive's own phase modulation OSC it can result in an effect I cannot seem to achieve on my Virus.

It's this effect: http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/47911550/file.html
The first part is just the waveform (named Luna, on Bend -/+, for those who care, here's the settings: http://puu.sh/6tlhN.png). The second part I'm dialing in the phase mod.

The great thing is that this creates a very unique sound I'm after. It has a solid, reese like, low end and a very crispy high end.

I don't know for the life of me how to recreate this. I have tried a wavetable on OSC1 and OSC2, dialing in the phase and freq mod, but nothing happens that comes close to Massive's rawness. I have even tried to recreate the base sound by pitch LFOing a sine on OSC2, which recreates the base sound. But I cannot seem to create something with OSC1 + phase/freqmod that comes close.

Does anyone know how to achieve this? It's very much appreciated
The simple answer is to get Massive. There is a ton of things it can do that the Virus can't & vise versa to some extent. There maybe someone out there that can get it close but @ $199 you cannot go wrong with Massive & although initially it was a cpu hog, with todays computers it is way less of a drain on your DAW than the virus. It's also one of the most cracked synths & getting a free copy is childs play not to mention it's free with the Maschine. controllers.
Old 22.01.2014, 02:31 PM
This forum member lives here

Sorry to derail the OP's question but Berni I'm curious what you mean about VC's load on the DAW. Does VC now use more CPU than a typical soft synth? If so, just wondering how that can be. If my Ultranova didn't do all the heavy lifting on its own DSP I wouldn't have much use for it.
Old 22.01.2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Sorry to derail the OP's question but Berni I'm curious what you mean about VC's load on the DAW. Does VC now use more CPU than a typical soft synth? If so, just wondering how that can be. If my Ultranova didn't do all the heavy lifting on its own DSP I wouldn't have much use for it.
I probably worded that badly. It's just that the VC/Virus doesn't seem to run as efficiently as my other soft synths when considering the virus generates the actual sounds & VC is only a GUI for it. Plus I can load dozens of soft synths but only one instance of the virus which will give me 3-4 patches at most before it starts crapping out.
Old 22.01.2014, 09:33 PM

Yeah there's going to be a certain amount of DAW overhead even if the plug-in isn't the oscillation/filter or FX source. On the other hand I'm guessing you could also treat it as a regular MIDI hardware device without integration and just route the audio straight into interface and not run VC at all freeing up some CPU, or perhaps use the whole thing as an external FX unit (a pricey FX unit no less!)
Old 23.01.2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Yeah there's going to be a certain amount of DAW overhead even if the plug-in isn't the oscillation/filter or FX source. On the other hand I'm guessing you could also treat it as a regular MIDI hardware device without integration and just route the audio straight into interface and not run VC at all freeing up some CPU, or perhaps use the whole thing as an external FX unit (a pricey FX unit no less!)
Trust me I ran my TI as stand alone for years but now I have it running pretty good as a VST I really like having VC in my DAW, hey that's why I bought a Total Integration virus in the first place. Having said that I really think at this point it has been a failed experiment on Access's part due to the high cost of the machine & lousy software/hardware development since it's inception. Neither of which have changed much since it first came out.
Old 26.01.2014, 10:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Trust me I ran my TI as stand alone for years but now I have it running pretty good as a VST I really like having VC in my DAW, hey that's why I bought a Total Integration virus in the first place. Having said that I really think at this point it has been a failed experiment on Access's part due to the high cost of the machine & lousy software/hardware development since it's inception. Neither of which have changed much since it first came out.
if it's running pretty good, it has changed, no?

yeah, but it's been sooooo long since we had any relevant news from them, the absence at NAMM is just the topping for the cake...