Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 19.10.2004, 01:31 AM
New here
New here

Default triggering sounds from KC to Cubase

hey guys,

kind of new to hardware synths, been using software for the past few years and ive run into a basic problem that i cant fix.

im trying to get my KC to trigger the KC sounds into Cubase SX as midi data so i can then bounce it to audio.

My Virus MIDI OUT runs into the MIDI IN of my MOTU 828 and vice versa. Then i assume i connect audio L-R from KC into 828 as well.

In Cubase i add a midi device right? (since im using SX1 and it only recognizes Virus A, B, KB).

I clearly see cubase receiving midi feedback but still no sound. Are there any particular settings that i need to change to hear sounds coming from the keyboard as well?

cheers
Old 19.10.2004, 04:17 AM
This forum member lives here

Hi Casa,

If you want to hear the Virus, you connect the Virus outs L/R to the 828, and then open up a Audio Channel in SX (Stereo) and click the little monitor icon (next to record icon).

You also have to make sure that the inputs that your stereo audio channel is set to, corresponds to the inputs (on the 82 that your Virus is plugged into.

Now, you can D/L a Virus patch script for SX, which you place in the Cubase SX patch scripts folder (in the active section). Then when you add a new MIDI device, name it KC etc, and the KC sound banks will show up. I think you also have to select the MIDI port as well in the MIDI device section.

OK......Now, open up a MIDI channel in SX, set the inort 1 (KC), and outort 1 (KC). Are you Mac or PC? With Mac, there is a thing in utilities calles Audio MIDI Setup, and here you can set up the Virus, name it etc, and also hook it up to the 828 MIDI ports. I dont know if this needs to be done or not, but I do it anyway cos it looks cool. You can also test your setup from here to make sure everything in communicating correctly.

Anyways, by now when you press a key on the KC, you should see MIDI activity, and you should be hearing sound through the Audio channel in SX (Which may need to have the monitor button activated). There are also a few recommendations in the Virus user manual that relate to using the Virus with a software sequencer. These have something to do with Lo-Page/Hi-Page Im not really sure, but you can just read the manual for that. Also make sure that SX is NOT filtering any important information from the Virus (Check SX MIDI preferences for MIDI filter section)

It would be usefull to have a small mixer with a few stereo line channels, so you can monitor your synths and control the output from the 828.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 19.10.2004, 08:21 AM
New here
New here

hey Jase,

thanks for the helpful tips. Ive plugged in all the midi cables and audio cables properly....however im still having a hard time configuring SX properly. Im running on Windows XP by the way.

Ive downloaded the SX script from the access website and through it into the active folder. Then i went to "install midi device".

I created a new device but the script didnt load and there was still no bank information - just an empty bank. There is no option for me to configure the midi ports on that menu.

It does however let me choose what i would like to assign the OUT to but it only lists all the other midi controllers i have and NOT the KC.

Ideally i was hoping to configure SX in a way where i can load the KC as the midi input and midi output as well so i can record all the midi data...everytime i open up the project it will tell me that my KC is not connected.....kinda weird hehe

any suggestions?

thanks for the helpful tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Hi Casa,

If you want to hear the Virus, you connect the Virus outs L/R to the 828, and then open up a Audio Channel in SX (Stereo) and click the little monitor icon (next to record icon).

You also have to make sure that the inputs that your stereo audio channel is set to, corresponds to the inputs (on the 82 that your Virus is plugged into.

Now, you can D/L a Virus patch script for SX, which you place in the Cubase SX patch scripts folder (in the active section). Then when you add a new MIDI device, name it KC etc, and the KC sound banks will show up. I think you also have to select the MIDI port as well in the MIDI device section.

OK......Now, open up a MIDI channel in SX, set the inort 1 (KC), and outort 1 (KC). Are you Mac or PC? With Mac, there is a thing in utilities calles Audio MIDI Setup, and here you can set up the Virus, name it etc, and also hook it up to the 828 MIDI ports. I dont know if this needs to be done or not, but I do it anyway cos it looks cool. You can also test your setup from here to make sure everything in communicating correctly.

Anyways, by now when you press a key on the KC, you should see MIDI activity, and you should be hearing sound through the Audio channel in SX (Which may need to have the monitor button activated). There are also a few recommendations in the Virus user manual that relate to using the Virus with a software sequencer. These have something to do with Lo-Page/Hi-Page Im not really sure, but you can just read the manual for that. Also make sure that SX is NOT filtering any important information from the Virus (Check SX MIDI preferences for MIDI filter section)

It would be usefull to have a small mixer with a few stereo line channels, so you can monitor your synths and control the output from the 828.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Jase
Old 19.10.2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa
Im running on Windows XP by the way.
Im using MAC, so I wont be able to help with XP related problems....

Quote:
Ive downloaded the SX script from the access website and through it into the active folder
What version SX are you using? When I first upgraded to 2.0 I found that none of my patch scripts were being recognised.....I later found that SX 2.0 had created a completely new folder and put it in a different place, so I had to do a "Find" and locate the new SX2.0 folder and find the "Patch Scripts" folder.......This could be the same thing for you???

Quote:
It does however let me choose what i would like to assign the OUT to but it only lists all the other midi controllers i have and NOT the KC.
This is correct, when SX does recognise the KC, you must select the MIDI out here.

Some other things for you to do:

Select "MIDI Thru" option in SX (Located in SX preferences)

Make sure no MIDI data is being 'filtered' by SX (Also located in SX preferences)

Configure the KC (read the manual) so that it is optimized for working with a sequencer (ie Lo-Page = control, Hi-Page = PolyPressure) located in the ARP/System menu on the KC.....make sure KC is transmitting on MIDI channel 1 etc.....Also MIDI thru (local off) in KC is chosen

Update your Audio/MIDI drivers for the 828

Find out if there is something like Audio/MIDI setup utility for XP

Make sure SX is updated with latest version

Clean your PC (Defrag etc) and reboot

Hope you sort out your issues soon! I imagine it must be frustrating

Good luck

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 19.10.2004, 12:18 PM

Also try the Steinberg forums for some more indepth help for SX

Cubase Forum