Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 17.01.2013, 08:43 AM
Pro
Pro

Talking

Sir Timo-
Very cool! Your attentiveness to detail and seeing the reversed alien technology under the hood is very nice! Also, being that coffee is my drug of choice on this planet, that uber cup of java sitting there makes me very uneasey, not having a surgeons hands and learning from past disasters; I no longer 'allow' myself to have liquids in my immediate work area..no, no! My question is--where is the almost obligatory 'Studio Cat' that one sees in 85% of synth-based studio pictures? Or that just a quirky USA thing? Cats give one a 'Free Envelope', mine providing an alto-sine-based-variable attack and release, depending on mood!
Old 17.01.2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Also forgot, you also need a pot which has the spindle in the correct orientation.

In the Virus' case, the 'flat' bit of the spindle is on the opposite side to where the knob's marker is on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Sir Timo-
Very cool! Your attentiveness to detail and seeing the reversed alien technology under the hood is very nice! Also, being that coffee is my drug of choice on this planet, that uber cup of java sitting there makes me very uneasey, not having a surgeons hands and learning from past disasters; I no longer 'allow' myself to have liquids in my immediate work area..no, no!
Ok, Pop! ;P JK. Think I put the cup there temporarily just for the photo for inventory purposes. Wouldn't place it near usually. Everything, bar distilled water (when switched off), wrecks electronics and PCBs, sugary stuff in particular.

Turning into a coffee head myself! Got an espresso machine which I'm slowly learning to use. Tea's a great no-fuss all purpose working man's drink though.

Quote:
My question is--where is the almost obligatory 'Studio Cat' that one sees in 85% of synth-based studio pictures? Or that just a quirky USA thing? Cats give one a 'Free Envelope', mine providing an alto-sine-based-variable attack and release, depending on mood!
Haha. My bro's cat, Wookie, occasionally stays with me when they go on holiday. Occasionally she sounds like she has a ground loop problem. Usually just after food.

She tries to jump up and walk on my mixer and keyboards when I'm not looking. Either that or she blocks the computer monitor and sticks her bum in my face when I'm trying to type, or tries to stamp all over my computer keyboard. Blah.

Otherwise currently pet-less. Had three dogs in the past, though.

I digress...
Old 17.01.2013, 10:34 PM
Pro
Pro

You just gave me GREAT idea! That "ground-loop" that usually ends with an xmorph of filter to extreme high pass and very "liquid" turn of the frequency and resonance!! Would be great to be able to sample that and run through filter matrice! ;-p
"maya" respects the machines, it's the irresistable dangling of the headphone cord that may activate extreme 23 pound pouncing! He looks very similar to your bro's cat but his 23 LB self always makes the file size too big to post! Ha~!

Was it meticulous or easy lining-up all those blue LED's upon placing all togther and making sure all aligned or are they all made to sit rigid and not move out of line?
Old 18.01.2013, 04:08 PM
Administrator

23lbs?! Ya need to get him on a treadmill! lol.

Quote:
Was it meticulous or easy lining-up all those blue LED's upon placing all togther and making sure all aligned or are they all made to sit rigid and not move out of line?
The LEDs sit rigid, everything fits snuggly, even the buttons, no movement or anything. Had no problems re-assembling the unit.
Old 18.01.2013, 06:11 PM
Pro
Pro

I love the build-quality on Access AND Waldorf Synths (the Microwave XT and Waldorf Q Rack are literally built like military specification and could easily be used as a boat anchor, only of course if the synths were beyond repair)....the German build quality is quite impressive and leaves the Asia-Pacific Synth Companie's plastic, casio build quality in the dust!!
My studio cat is NOT FAT, he is a breed that are known for their larger size and have reputational name of being "the gentle giants of cats"...Maine Coone Cats. They also are incredibly smart and all four paws are webbed---he drinks water by cupping his paw in water up to mouth!! He is actually assumed the role of being a therapy animal as I am a recently disabled USA Military Veteran and literally gets my attention to follow him where medications are kept three times a day to remind me...he also lays upside down below my Virus B and Waldorf Blofeld Black keyboard two tier when I am playing or sound tweaking...think he likes the synths!! HA! Do an internet search on that breed as he is of normal size and stature for a male....my mother calls him the black panther...lol!

back to topic: I wanted to thank you for posting part numbers for encoders/pots as that could be very helpful in future but not even a mile from me is an electronics authorized repair place for many synth brands and if should need anything such as your endeavor with both Virii out of warranty, would probably just go there after sysex dump back-up of sounds.

Very cool pics!
Robert
Old 25.01.2013, 07:37 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post

... (the one on the right), or the one you pointed to in Mouser (well, at least the graphic of it), wouldn't be any good, as the knob would be sticking out by a mile. At the same time you don't want the 'Y' measurement to be too small, or the bottom of the rubber knob will chafe the surface.
Well, it is the exact model number that Access has on their invoices for the parts....

Mouser's site even says that the image is for reference only,, that you have to refer to the specs. Looking at the specs gives you a 3d PDF of the actual item

which as you can see has a much shorter shaft.

Personally, I'd rather take the chance with ordering these from Mouser, than have to pay shipping (possibly from Germany) and pay for a wire transfer or bank draft on top of that... Access, if you're reading this, you know that there is a credit card reader available for the iPad, right? :/

Last edited by Ashe35 : 01.10.2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 25.01.2013, 09:08 AM
Pro
Pro

Yeah, the USA banks have become greedy thieves in at least my bank would charge minimum $20. just for a wire transfer, which is insane since it's all the same zeros and ones/binary. The iPad cc reader has made it really easy for we visual artists at an arts fest to accept cc without having to buy/rent a cc machine or pay crazy fees. Surprised Access does not help out the International market they criss cross!
Old 25.01.2013, 05:44 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Yeah, the USA banks have become greedy thieves in at least my bank would charge minimum $20. just for a wire transfer, which is insane since it's all the same zeros and ones/binary.

Only $20? that means its only gone up $5 in 11 years...
Old 03.02.2013, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe35 View Post

which as you can see has a much shorter shaft.
Yes, the dimensions of that does look very much like the correct one. Keep us posted.
Old 21.04.2013, 03:39 AM
New here
New here

I'm not sure if any of you guys care, but I've solved the shaky pot problem without having to replace any pots at all with some strategically placed JB weld. the crazy glue fix that was mentioned pages ago was one I tried first a few years back and it worked pretty well for the hardly loose pots, but the looser ones loosened up after a year or so of use. I would prefer replacing the pots entirely, but I don't feel like spending $30 on pots only to find out that they don't fit right.

for the record, it was a shitty engineering choice on access' part to have the pots free standing like that, they are designed for the centre post to be screwed down with a washer and a nut on the faceplate so that they don't do what they seem to all do (ie. wear out).

anyhow, I'll take some pics of my jbwelded pots in case another person happens to land on this page with the same problem (hi, person from the future!).

on an unrelated note, I mailed access a while back looking for a knob and pots to buy, but they didn't have anything in stock so they took my name and address. a few months later, five free knobs and some stickers showed up in my mailbox, but no go on the pots themselves. next time I do a mousr order, I'll throw in one of those pots and let you guys know how they compare to the stock ones.

/studiocat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 420293_3134717781274_946705710_n.jpg (75.7 KB, 14 views)