Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 08.10.2005, 07:52 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

actually ben's reply was hilariously ironic. the one about mp3s.

it seems quite funny that more and more effort is expended on the kind of audiophile higher than cd quality that only a tiny proportion of the world's population will ever notice even with side by side comparison (producers and engineers mostly). and yet that effort will go into a song which will invariably get pirated a thousand times over using a compression medium that is sub cd quality. as if most people didnt already notice the difference, they sure as hell wont after that.

thats pretty ironic. i mean i dont know whether to laugh or cry at the futility of it all.
Old 08.10.2005, 07:58 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to obliterations

I have the same results with 24bit/44.1 as I do with 16bit/44.1
The Ti seems to work fine with both settings. Just too much lag to actually use the USB while writing music.

I have come to terms with just using the midi connection and then when Im ready to record the Virus, I'll use the USB to stream the audio in. Then go in and adjust the start time of the wave/track manually. That or just use the outputs. I am bummed it wont do 48 or higher.

I still love the unit and think it sounds great. Minus the few pops and crackles.
Logic 7.1.1
Old 09.10.2005, 12:00 AM
Am starting to like this forum

i've used several audio cards with my computers that have worked at 16, 20, and 24 bits.

but for as long as i've had access to 32 bit recording (since VST/32), i've recorded at that rate no matter what the soundcard rate was.

i guess what i'm saying is that AFAIK the interface bit depth and the recording program bit depth are independent.

i'd be very surprised to find out that it works differently with USB.

i guess the issue is at what bit depth does the TI send data thru USB?

if it's 16 bits, i would definitely use the analog outs.
Old 09.10.2005, 03:31 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

technomonster wrote
Quote:
24 bit sounds slightly clearer than 16 bit, but adds to me a slight haunting
feeling.
16 bit has more of that thick silvery edge, however the sound also has a slight more 3D deepness, whether it is an artificial caused by this silveriness. still the 16 bit feel s more balanced to me.

mp3s actually hurt me because one doesnt breath as freely, when listening to them. It has an unnatural stifling. and if all music was in mp3 then i would never listen to music again.

there are frequencies that cant be heard but can definately be felt, and mp3s cut out those too much.

Infact i am certain that constant listening to mp3s will create international health problems like constipation epidemics
i woke up this morning and everything sounds different again. 24 bit doesnt sound too haunting, maybe one of my ears is infected again.
or maybe it always has.
Old 09.10.2005, 09:23 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

You need to set youself up with blind tests to work out if you can tell
Old 09.10.2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutekk
but no matter the ti cant do 24 bit digital at all
so whats the point.
The DPSs of the Virus TI work with 24bit. The samplerate of them is 44.1 or 48kHz, this depends on your project/ASIO settings, the Virus adapts to these rates. You can also wordclock the Virus via SPDIF.

The USB audio transfer is 16bit.

For other rates, like using a 96kHz project, the Virus Control does provide you with an appropriate audio stream.

The Virus will not prevent you using your prefered project environment. Just try it.

Quote:
but if using the analog outs
the total intergration aspect becomes nothing but a mear novelty
why would i want to use a plugin when i have the hardware right infront of me?
you still have to record your midi actions the same either from the screen
or from the unit itself.so whats the deal
isnt that a reason why people buy hardware ..so they dont have to deal
with a plugin?
The Plugin does also reflect your changes via the hardware, when you tweak the knobs, the changes are shown to the GUI of the plugin and also to the automation of your sequencer, so it allows you to automate all its Parameters within the VST domain, something a large count of people prefer over MIDI.

Also, the complete state of your Virus is saved in your song, so it is totally integrated in your project, no more extra track and make an arrangement dump and all this fiddeling you need with other synths and additional files to backup.

When you are using the analog outs, you still have sample accurate MIDI timing.

The TI aspect is to bring the users the best of both worlds, making the handling of a hardware sequencer easier for production and allow you to tweak where you sit, no matter which way you prefer.

And there is no need to use the "ASIO Soundcard feature", but I personally find it very useful, when you just have your Polar and your Laptop on the road, it spares a mixer and an additional soundcard.

Quote:
a librarian?
you have heard of sounddiver?
Sounddiver is a discontinued application from former Emagic, that is not available on the Windows platform. The Mac OS X version is still beta. The complexity of the Virus TI line can not be easily ported to the Sounddiver Virus module, which is provided by Access for the former Virus lines.

There are other products to fill that gap, but afaik the range of supported devices by sounddiver has not been beaten yet.

The librarian functionality of the Virus Control is a bit more sophisticated than sounddiver and does not need to deal with application compatibility problems like shared MIDI ports, installing MIDI Port Faker software etc.

Quote:
ahh the arp programing...hmm kinda sucks that you *have to use the
computer mumbojumbo to program it.

so the big advantage is midi over a usb cable and a plugin that
you can control with a mouse for whatever reason i dont know because
the hardware is right infront of you.
You are right, you can not edit the user arp pattern from the hardware alone, but would that be fun?

For every other aspect you don't have to use the mouse. You can either work with the hardware or the mouse, the VST Plugin is just a view into the virus.

You also don't need to waste precious MIDI ports on your 4x4 or 8x8 MIDI interface, the TI comes with its own, actually it brings you two, even if you never use the Virus Control, when you are using the USB connection.

Quote:
this TI aspect is what makes the deal sour.The virus synth engin is art.
but one has to think how much of the premium price am i paying for
a catch phrase "total intergration"
The Virus TI price has not been increased compared to the other Virus product lines. The "feature count" has.

If you are not satisfied with the "Total Integration" aspect we welcome all of your suggestions.

tk
Old 09.10.2005, 10:41 AM

tk, can you solve this doubt I have?

you open an instance of Virus Control in your sequencer, right? and you use a sound, you modify it but don't store it into the Virus (like for example using a preset and modify it but not saving that edited sound as a preset.) Then you close your sequencer. When you open your sequencer again, that edited but not stored sound is still there? I mean, that's the way I work with vst synths, I don't necessarily store the sound I'm working with as a preset and when I open the song again the sound is still there.

does it work like that with the TI?

You can listen to some of my humble music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=218341
Old 09.10.2005, 10:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
we welcome all of your suggestions
Well I guess you heard the one about more channels and higher sample rates and bit depths.

I'll be happy using the analog outs that's for sure, I'm still abusing my virus b..
Old 09.10.2005, 10:51 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk

For other rates, like using a 96kHz project, the Virus Control does provide you with an appropriate audio stream.

The Virus will not prevent you using your prefered project environment. Just try it.
tk

holy hell!
this was the question i asked in the beginning of all this crap.

this negates all i have said in negative comments!
my order is going to go through.
much of this could have been avoided...
why so long to answer?
well it doesnt even matter.
this was my only gripe and it turns out to be none at all!

well its been fun
thank you

nutekk (another happy access virus ti user)!
Old 09.10.2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:

holy hell!
this was the question i asked in the beginning of all this crap.

this negates all i have said in negative comments!
my order is going to go through.
much of this could have been avoided...
why so long to answer?
well it doesnt even matter.
this was my only gripe and it turns out to be none at all!

well its been fun
thank you

nutekk (another happy access virus ti user)!
We do not regulary read all these forums, now it is weekend and I do it even I shouldn't.

Usually, just ask our support line, which would have answered your question in less than 24 hours.

Again: this is an "unofficial" forum, neither hosted nor driven by us. We are happy to help here, too, but you have to accept that we are not around here all the time since we have jobs to do.

tk