Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12.06.2004, 09:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Timo,

I think you're missing the point about why a multitude of knobs is the preferred choice for many users. You see, it's not all about programmability - it's also about live tweakability. You can program an enormous range of fantastic sounds by only using the knobs on the Virus - the menus are only required to get to the more esoteric features. So, whilst I'm sure programming on the Korg is all very intuitive with it's lovely large display, it's just not the same as being able to grab any one of 32 knobs to tweak the sound directly. Also, remember that you are speaking from the experience of an Indigo 1 user - that's one of the big advantages of the C series, is that the redesigned interface means you need to go into the menus far less often than on the B series.

It's not like I'm saying that I wouldn't like a bigger display - and I'm sure Access would love their instruments to have Korg style displays. However, you have to understand that the instruments that Korg endow with the massive screens make up a much larger share of the musical instrument market than the VAs. Like I pointed out earlier - note how they *didn't* put a big display in the MS2000 series! (Remember - that is what the Virus is competing with; it is not competing with Tritons etc) If they had put a big screen in it, it would have put it into a price-range that would have been unrealistic for that kind of instrument. Likewise - Roland put a small display in the JP8000 series, and Yamaha put virtually no user interface to speak of on their AN1X did they? Korg also put the most pathetic knobs I've ever encountered on the MS2000, whereas Access at least use decent quality ones that might survive some over-enthuastic tweaking.