Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 15.08.2013, 08:31 AM
Pro
Pro

Default KMI QuNexus Survives strapped to watermelon dropped one story!!

Thought this was kind of cool and since it IS studio equipment, placed it here instead of Off-Topic. Survives being run over by car, hosed-down with water, and duct taped to a large watermelon and dropped controller side toward Earth one story...still works! I have a love-hate relationship with my Novation Remote SL61 Mkii Controller for simple fact (unless I am missing something) I find the touch pad so ridiculously non-dynamic or even predictable, making for a better surface for a beverage of your choice hot-glued and a straw!!

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubqkN...layer_embedded
Old 13.09.2013, 10:55 AM
Pro
Pro

Received for my 50th birthday an iPad 2, the new Behringer iStudio iS202 iPad dock, so decided to get one of these KMI QuNexus and the KMI Midi Expander to use not only with Birthday gift but when connected to *any* synth, such as our Virus, it allows some rather expressive control depending on how you move your finger, pressure, rolling finger side to side...really cool editor for PC/MAC allows for custom templates as well. Using the QuNexus with Waldorf Nave App is wonderful and as well as the Alchemy Pro App....my very first purely software synths and am simply feeding audio output of iStudio to two inputs on Scarlett 18i20 as audio but has midi DIN in/out as well as midi in/out over USB.
Great customer support at Keith McMillen Instruments as well. FYI! Turning 50 definitely had it's perks this year!!
Old 14.09.2013, 11:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Received for my 50th birthday an iPad 2, the new Behringer iStudio iS202 iPad dock, so decided to get one of these KMI QuNexus and the KMI Midi Expander to use not only with Birthday gift but when connected to *any* synth, such as our Virus, it allows some rather expressive control depending on how you move your finger, pressure, rolling finger side to side...really cool editor for PC/MAC allows for custom templates as well. Using the QuNexus with Waldorf Nave App is wonderful and as well as the Alchemy Pro App....my very first purely software synths and am simply feeding audio output of iStudio to two inputs on Scarlett 18i20 as audio but has midi DIN in/out as well as midi in/out over USB.
Great customer support at Keith McMillen Instruments as well. FYI! Turning 50 definitely had it's perks this year!!
yeah, that's a pretty nice gift you got! Check out Moog's app for iOS. A friend of mine has it and sounds wonderful to my ears, probably they'll allow you to demo it.

on another note: don't forget that you can install automap from Novation's website for the ipad and - altough I've never tried it - it must feel very cool, specially for the mixer, no?

is Alchemy Pro from Camel Audio? the Alchemy synthesizer is one of the best and most underrated synthesizers in existence. It's one of the deepest synthesizers I've come across!
Old 15.09.2013, 01:57 AM
Pro
Pro

Waldorf Nave was first one I downloaded and Camel Audio Alchemy was second, and free, but have to do some sort of "in app pay for Alchemy Pro Upgrade" as well as purchase the extra soundsets, which is not much money actually, just need to figure out how to do this "In App Purchase" as it's a roundabout process.
Alchemy has been on my radar for a while and already familiar with it BUT Waldorf NAVE is out of this world! There's a person whom manages the Waldorfian Mailing List, whom has contributed sound design to the earliest Waldorf Synths, and just last month he put his Waldorf Wave up for sale for 10,000 Euro (it sold), and why? Because he was asked to contribute sound design as well as Richard Devine and many others, and he said he was SO blown away by the NAVE, in that it could effortlessly do everything the legendary WAVE could...and much more!
I had been drooling over NAVE for a bit because the sound demos are just amazing and I was really not thinking it pragmatic going out and buying an iPad *just* for that app, but have a very clever brother whom made my 50th birthday a real treat!
The touch interface is very good for my neuropathic fingers. I plan to place the Focusrite Scarlett Mix Control on iPad 2 so my monitor can be dedicated to Reaper as the Scarlett 18i20 allows for this because you are still only using one ASIO Driver for Scarlett AI, while the Mix Control is simply run off another USB connection.
I can say that I probably would never had purchased this as already have an e-reader that I exclusively use for all the pdf manuals of synths and Reaper User Guide because pdf's are so easy to search quickly. Glad he went with iPad 2 because I do not see need for that "retina display" and these apps run efficiently on it and both apps have that Audiobus, so I can (once I learn more) actually import Alchemy wav files into NAVE since NAVE allows just about anything external to be imported and configured into wavetables...even freakin images!!! WOW~! The iPad is actually a GREAT controller for Alchemy and have read that if you have the VST version you can actually USE the iPad as a controller FOR it!!! Cool beans!
No worries, am still a hardware synth guy but nothing wrong with expanding one's horizons.
The Keith McMillen Instruments QuNexus allows poly aftertouch even on synths that do not have it via a midi dispatcher configurable via an editor and honestly have not got everything up and running yet as just spent today's energy kind of taking a lot of my stuff apart to reconfigure. Only got part of it done today as my health crap limits my energy level from day to day.
My brother is also ex-military and actually works a good job that parent company is of all things, Halliburton, the largest military contracting dispatch, so he travels all over the world in crazy places and kind of blew me away with his generosity. He turns 50 in 4 years so will return the shower of gifting! HA!
Rant over!