Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 27.10.2004, 01:53 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default A Multimode Question...

Greetings all!

I recently purchased a Virus KC running OS 6.5 (I think).

Single Mode has given me no problems (yet!) but Multimode seemed a bit ridiculous as soon as I began to use it.

While researchng posts on Multimode I found the following quote from Manuel Schleis as a response to another Mulitmode question:

REF: "When I am honest.... I have never used the multimode, I think it sucks."

So here goes my question:

Multimode seems redundant to me:

For instance, after the first 11 multibanks (some of which sound OK) are played the rest are all EXACTLY the same. A basic string sound is played, that's it, no Multi-anything. Specifically, the redundant Multi sound is:

The LED reads:
1 M11 Multi
A0 Overture CK

The same value exists for the rest of the Multi banks:
1 Mx Multi
A0 Overture CK
where x=12-127

Once I get to the end of the bank there is one unique bank:

1 M127 BAEUMI2->
C 124 Low

Can anyone tell me why there are 126-11=115 multi banks that are exactly the same?

If this bank is the user bank why are there 12 unique Multi banks and then 115 identical in between them? (1-11 unique; 12-126 Overture; 127 BAEUM12)

If I remeber correctly even shifting Parameters (MIDI channels) from 1-16 and Parts from A-D resulted in the sam, sucky Overture Multi bank.

I reset my KC by turning it on and holding down the OSC1 button and the LED indicated a reset was successful once it turned on. The Mulit sound banks were still exactly the same afterward.

Is this awesome synth best used in Single Mode?

Thanks for any assistance on this post.

I will be tearing through the manual and the soundbanks this weekend trying to make more sense of this thing.

Cheers!

-Alex
Old 27.10.2004, 02:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

No, Multi Mode doesn't suck - it is actually very useful, essential in fact, if you wish to take advantage of the multi-timbral nature of the Virus, i.e multi-tracking it via a sequencer.

The multi bank has been left mostly empty for you to fill with your own setups - the few included presets are just examples to help show you what can be achieved.
Old 27.10.2004, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default Thanks you Ben!

Ben,

It makes sense for Access to include some example Multi-banks.

I just wish that the manual had a little more context stating that other than the 12 sample multi-banks, the rest are essentially blank.

Maybe they would just say "Blank" and have no sound in a perfect world.
But here we are!

Well I am glad to know this new information as it alleviates any concerns I have about my board being faulty.

BTW: I had to include Manuel's comment as it was the third or fourth one I read and it gave me a good laugh!

I think if interpreted to some degree it could really mean that each user of a Virus has their own preferences in how they use it. It is possible to:

(1) try and do as much through the board as possible
(2) do little with the board and a lot with an external MIDI sequencer
(3) or exist somewhere in the middle of these two extremes

Me, I'm just very happy to have my first real synth and access to a great forum for when the manual fails.

Cheers, and thanks for your insight!

-Alex
Old 28.10.2004, 03:26 AM

Default Re: A Multimode Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
Multimode seems redundant to me
What a ridiculous statement! This is a perfect examle of someone making a remark when they clearly have no idea......

Why dont you try using the Virus in single mode when using a sequencer? You will find that you can only use 1 sound! Which would make the Virus a mono-timbral machine....now thats sucky!!!!!!!!!!!

Single mode also wont allow you to layer sounds and achieve awesome textures etc.....it will only allow you to play a "single" sound!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 28.10.2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Clarification...

Pardon Moi! 8O

I meant redundant in that it offered the same base pre-set over a hundred times with no context.

Please note I wrote the original post while pissed that I didn't know what was going on with my board.

And yes, I barely know what's going on with this thing as I just bought it, hence me asking the question, although with less than perfect word choice.

So in short, EXCUUUUUUUUSE Me!!!

I'll be figuring out multi-mode this weekend so I can "layer sounds and achieve awesome textures etc....."

BTW Jasedee, VERY COOL tracks on the studio site: http://www.24bit192k.com/id6.html

The vocals on Leisa-Smoke are very classy.

Have a nice day!

-Alex
Old 29.10.2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Clarification...

Quote:
So in short, EXCUUUUUUUUSE Me!!!
I tend to fly off the handle when Im pissed too! Dont take my comments too personally It's kinda like tough love?

Quote:
I'll be figuring out multi-mode this weekend so I can "layer sounds and achieve awesome textures etc....."
You are gonna love it! trust me....

Quote:
BTW Jasedee, VERY COOL tracks on the studio site: http://www.24bit192k.com/id6.html
Cheers!

Quote:
The vocals on Leisa-Smoke are very classy.
A good example of how a novice engineer can achive great things if the performer is amazing!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 29.10.2004, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Default Right back atcha'!

Quote:
I tend to fly off the handle when Im pissed too! Dont take my comments too personally It's kinda like tough love?
Tough love is good, it does more to provoke positive future performance than blind support!

Quote:
REF: Multi Mode: You are gonna love it! trust me....
I am definitely looking forward to figuring out multi mode now that I have a better idea of what it does. Looks like the yard isn't getting mowed this weekend!

Quote:
A good example of how a novice engineer can achive great things if the performer is amazing!
I hope I run into a performer like that when I'm a novice engineer!

Thanks for the reply, and please don't take me too seriously either, I might be a smart-ass sometimes, but it's all in good fun!

TGIF!!!

-The Alex