Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 15.10.2005, 12:14 PM
New here
New here

Default Should i get a TI yet?

Hi all, great forum! been lurking here now for a few months now trying to gather as much info on the new virus.

Now i have my money ready, im still unsure if i should buy yet.

What i wanna know is, IS the TI usable from just the USB outputs through using the virus control software?

I dont have a good enough audio interface at the moment. only a M-Audio Audiophile USB, so i wont be able to use the hardware outputs on the virus.

Im using a Dual 2X2.0ghz G5 powermac with Logic 7.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 15.10.2005, 12:47 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Re: Should i get a TI yet?

Well, since the Virus TI only transfers audio data in 16bits through USB, I'm definiteln gonna use the digital out. To me, 16 bits is much too few since at every calculation, you loose 3 till 5 bits which means that after some insert FX such as a compressor or reverb, you definitely hear the difference to 24 bits...
Old 15.10.2005, 01:14 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend an audio interface with digital inputs then for me to use with the virus?

This will be my first hardware synth, so im a bit unsure of what to get, thanks....
Old 15.10.2005, 01:20 PM
New here
New here

Come to think of it, my audiophile USB has a digital input, but it is still USB input into the MAC.

Would i be better off with a firewire interface?
Old 15.10.2005, 02:20 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1975
Come to think of it, my audiophile USB has a digital input, but it is still USB input into the MAC.

hi dave,
I think your audiophile is ok, I suppose it's even better than the interface I'm using. If you use the digital inputs, you don't have to worry about the quality of the interface because then, there's no converter used, the digital audio stream is simply routed to your sequencer. I don' t think you should worry about the USB thingy because there's no restriction in bit depth, only in data volume/time. I really don't understand why access restricts to 16bits! If your USB interface uses USB2, I'm sure it's supporting at least 24bits, if USB1, have a look in the manual...
Old 15.10.2005, 02:27 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
firewire is faster, but the speed also depends on the cpu and so on. if you are only plugging one or two synths at the same time into the interface, you don't need firewire... Stay with your interface and spend the money you save with your girlfriend somewhere, holiday or something 8O :P
Old 15.10.2005, 02:34 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
Quote:
spend the money you save with your girlfriend 8O :P
She'd be lucky!

Thanks for the info. The audiophile usb i have is USB2-24/96khz so im gonna see how that goes for now, and eventually get a firewire interface if i need it..

Thanks again, only 2 weeks to wait now, cant wait.....
Old 15.10.2005, 03:57 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Hi Dave and welcome to our great forums. Im interested to know how you get on with the 24/96 USB card because i was thinking of picking one up for cheap to got with my DX.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 16.10.2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Well, since the Virus TI only transfers audio data in 16bits through USB, I'm definiteln gonna use the digital out. To me, 16 bits is much too few since at every calculation, you loose 3 till 5 bits which means that after some insert FX such as a compressor or reverb, you definitely hear the difference to 24 bits...
You assumption is not quite correct. The audio that comes out of the Virus Control is VST standard, so 32 bit float. There is no information you loose when you are using FX beyond the Virus Control plugin.

tk
Old 16.10.2005, 11:42 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk
Quote:
You assumption is not quite correct. The audio that comes out of the Virus Control is VST standard, so 32 bit float. There is no information you loose when you are using FX beyond the Virus Control plugin.

tk
Thx for that

Had me worried there for a minute.