Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 10.04.2012, 07:33 PM
New here
New here

Some very relevant questions. I wasn't around at the time, but I think it took a long time before Access got TI working with 64-bit Windows. That left customers stranded with 32-bit Windows unless they were prepared to sacrifice the TI functionality. The good news is that it will be a *long* time before another transition like that will be necessary. While Windows 7 is artificially limited to 192GB of RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 (basically the same product, using the same drivers as Win7) can handle up to 2TB of RAM. That's 500 times the amount of RAM a typical PC system comes with these days. The amount of RAM has only increased by about 16 times in the last decade (the first XP machines in 2001 had 128 or 256MB of RAM).

There's also the option of virtualization. Running a virtual Windows7-PC, even for realtime audio, shouldn't be a problem 10-15 years from now. Even if the CPU architecture changes radically (ie. ARM replaces x86), even emulation should be fast enough as the Virus has its own DSP processor(s). Then just route the audio into Cubase version 28 running on Windows 15, or use any of the technologies that allow you to transfer audio over a virtual Ethernet adapter or similar to get the audio out of your virtual machine.

Even if Access were to stop development of Virus Control today, there's a big and very dedicated user base. Surely someone would come up with a VST editor, and maybe even manage to reverse-engineer the protocol Virus uses to send sample-accurate audio. Heck, I have a VST editor for my JX-8P (which came out in 1985 I believe), that makes it work almost like the Virus TI (except you need a separate track for the audio).

If all else fails, it's certainly possible to program the Snow directly. It's not quite as easy as the Blofeld (nothing beats the parameter matrix), but you can quickly jump between sections with the buttons and then access three parameters at a time. I think the Snow is a great studio machine. It takes up much less space in the studio (a Desktop TI feels surprisingly big when you're used to the Blofeld, Tetra, MFB stuff etc.). You don't need dozens of knobs on a separate control surface when you're sitting at your computers anyway, and four parts is enough for studio use. Keep in mind that the Snow, just like the "full" TI is limited to three stereo pairs of USB audio. You always have the option to multitrack if that isn't enough for some reason.
Old 12.04.2012, 06:10 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Hmmmm those are options I didn't even think of DarkstaR, especially its large userbase and the fact that probably some talented people will come up with some alternative VSTs and such.

I just received my Snow today by the way. Really overwhelmed by its parameters, coming from a decent understanding of Massive even. It'll take some getting used to but I'm loving it thusfar
Old 14.04.2012, 11:32 AM
Complete Newbie

I think there was a small misscommunication in this thread. With USB only, am I somehow able to use my MPK49 midi controller to get audio out of the Snow WITHOUT starting a DAW, or am I forced to use MIDI cables for that?
Old 15.04.2012, 07:33 PM
Complete Newbie

For those interested, or using search somewhere in the future. Google for VST host. MiniHost worked pretty well for me, to run Virus Control without having to fire up your DAW. Access doesn't provide a Virus Control standalone mode itself.