Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 01.07.2015, 03:18 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus TI2 as external FX processor (via SPDIF)

Recently I bought my dream interface UAD Apollo.
I decided to use SPDIF I/O outputs of Virus TI2 to save one analog inputs of Apollo for other instruments, even if I lost VC (I had to disconnect USB).
Q1: Will it ever be possible to use SPDIF I/O and USB at the same time with any new OS version?
Q2: Is it possible to use Virus TI2 as external FX processor while connected via SPDIF? I like the idea of saving DA/AD conversions from Cubase to Virus and back.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Petr
Old 01.07.2015, 03:52 PM
This forum member lives here

I'm interested in this thread for a number of reasons (i.e. curious how you like the Apollo plugins) but primarily I'm wondering about your question #1.

Are you saying that you had to give up VC entirely by using SPDIF on the TI2 (sounds like that's what you meant when you said disconnect USB)? Or you are asking if you can stream audio to both SPDIF and USB simultaneously? I have a Snow only so I can't compare notes on Virus SPDIF but I do the same thing with SPDIF for audio with my Ultranova for the same reasons you cited.
Old 02.07.2015, 09:14 AM
New here
New here

I admit that I made that bold statement in Q1 based on info found in threads at forums rather than my own testing. This is just one of the threads:
http://www.virus.info/forum/index.ph...ut-clock-rate/
I haven't had time to do any thorough testing but the problems are connected with Virus sync settings - internal/host (PC via USB)/external and sampling frequency settings. Also I might not have enough experience with setting up the chain of clock source and slaves.
I did not want to use USB for audio streaming, just for the Virus Control functionality.
Old 02.07.2015, 02:45 PM

I guess I'm now a bit confused but tentatively I'm going to say in theory you shouldn't run into any problems with the general idea/theory of using USB to control the plug-in and SPDIF for audio, that's not to say you won't in practice. Even folks using plain USB with the most common configurations finds their experience varying between different users. The only to know if you have a problem is to try it first.

Honestly the first thing that came to my mind was that you'll have more outs to route to in the plugin with the analog outs than with SPDIF (as a Snow owner myself, that's only a guess), but since I know you mentioned saving those for other hardware, you could look into adding an ADAT interface for more ports/preamps.

I use USB only to control the Virus plug-in and use the analog outs. Using USB for the plug-in and SPDIF for audio works fine on the Ultranova, not sure why it wouldn't on the Virus.
Old 06.09.2015, 02:51 PM
New here
New here

Default RE: S/PDIF I/O Use With Virus TI2 Polar...

(Rookie Here) Recently received my Virus TI2 and I am having some issues with it playing nicely with Cubase 8 Pro but instead of going into too much detail with regard to that, I am wondering what specifically is the VALUE of using the S/PDIF I/O on the TI2?

I currently use a Steinberg UR44 MIDI/Audio interface and route the TI2 Audio Outputs to the UR44 Inputs 3/4 & 5/6 via *balanced" digital 1/4" TRSs cables (a brand called Neutrik, which are rated 5 stars at most sites / reviews).

I also have the TI2 USB plugged into a dedicated USB 2.0 port. I.e. Nothing else plugged into the adjacent ports.

Anyways, Cubase continues to CRASH whenever I add an instance of the Virus TI2 Polar as a track. It adds it as a track and about 5 - 10 seconds later Cubase crashes.

Is it possible that using a S/PDIF I/O connection to my UR44 might be of benefit?

Appreciate your assistance in advance and I apologize if I am steering this conv tangential to its original intent.

Best Regards,

Naveman00
Old 06.09.2015, 03:00 PM
New here
New here

I stated XLR cables initially and meant to say TRSs...

Best Regards,

Naveman00
Old 06.09.2015, 05:43 PM

I don't think the software crash has anything to do with cabling and I doubt using SPDIF would make a difference.

The only exception to that would be if you have something in your Cubase port routing configuration that's causing an issue?

If you just want to eliminate the analog outs from the list of possibilities, try using the Virus only via USB, even using the Virus as your audio interface. If the crash still occurs (I'm guessing it will) then it's simply something with your Virus or Cubase software configuration or both. Then you have a place to start (Access or Steinberg support) and you have eliminated other possibilities like cabling or audio interface related crashes.
Old 06.09.2015, 08:23 PM
New here
New here

Default Good Advice.

Thank you MBTC,

It is "sound" advice! I will remove analog outs and check USB only. Then progress from there. Thanks for a push in the right direction.

Best Regards,

Naveman00
Old 17.09.2015, 01:00 AM

Curious how you made out / if the USB made a difference?
Old 20.09.2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I suggest you try Cubase's Safe Start mode:

"Start Cubase/Nuendo and hold down <Control> + <Shift> + <Alt> (Windows) or <Cmd> + <Shift> + <Alt> (Mac OS X) as soon as the start screen appears."

This way you can check if the problem arises from your definitions or not. If it works properly like this, you should trash your definitions and build them from the ground up again.

I agree with MBTC in that the crashes have nothing to do with the cables. I'd guess that your problem is some bad configuration of either Cubase or the audio interface or both.