Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 06.01.2009, 02:06 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Have you experienced any problem with ordinary patches = Bass, Trance sounds, strings and pads?

Hope there is only problem with complex patches.
Old 06.01.2009, 03:32 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Have you experienced any problem with ordinary patches = Bass, Trance sounds, strings and pads?

Hope there is only problem with complex patches.
Hi Oblivion,

It's really hard to quantify, the problem I suppose is originally you don't build things up thinking scientifically like we are now, and I'm sure no one here really does. I've never used the TI VC all out as I've had other issues over the years and have just used it for one or 2 channels. As I said in a previous post I've really cut down my hardware - it's all still here upstairs but with my MacPro and the TI and sometimes the Blofeld I feel I have it all covered and alot more space

But as I've come to use the VC more, these niggles have surfaced and I'm still avoiding using it like I would like to. From memory standard patches with none of the more complex forms of synthesis are far more efficient than the others. This is no secret and Access say that polyphony drops alot with graintables and formant processing. I don't mind that at all, but I want what I do play to be played back with rock solid timing and not with random glitches in modulation or envelopes if I choose a more complex synthesis method.

Hope this explains a little better.
Old 07.01.2009, 12:27 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

As a matter of interest Paul, when you are using the Virus in VC mode are you using the Virus as your sound card or are you using the sound card on your PC ?

Out of all the different ways you can route audio and midi with the TI I am starting to suspect from what I read and have experienced that you get the best performance (latency wise etc) when using VC with the TI as your sound card. Maybe wrong though
Old 07.01.2009, 03:38 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
As a matter of interest Paul, when you are using the Virus in VC mode are you using the Virus as your sound card or are you using the sound card on your PC ?

Out of all the different ways you can route audio and midi with the TI I am starting to suspect from what I read and have experienced that you get the best performance (latency wise etc) when using VC with the TI as your sound card. Maybe wrong though
i remember trying to use the TI as a soundcard when i first bought it (quite a while ago now) to see if it would solve the latency issue, but didn't notice any marked improvement over my existing audio interface. in fact if i recall correctly, i was getting worse latency when using the TI's audio. anyway, i pretty much dropped the idea then and there, since i have other external gear that i need to be able to record and much prefer to use my trusty FW410 for such things.

thanks for the suggestion though - definitely an option for those who are using their TI without any other external gear.
Old 07.01.2009, 07:35 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Is it safe to use it with just five or six channels and ordinary subtractive synthesis+arpeggios and lots of fx?

I want it badly because of its soundquality, but if it is useless as a multitimbral synth with sloppy timing I have to find an other synth.

Just interested of its subtractive synthesis, fx and arpeggios, dont care about the other synthesis in the Virus TI.

I hope that you have the answer?

Thanks!
Old 08.01.2009, 08:14 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Is it safe to use it with just five or six channels and ordinary subtractive synthesis+arpeggios and lots of fx?

I want it badly because of its soundquality, but if it is useless as a multitimbral synth with sloppy timing I have to find an other synth.

Just interested of its subtractive synthesis, fx and arpeggios, dont care about the other synthesis in the Virus TI.

Thanks!
Hi Oblivion,

I reckon you'll be ok (don't hold me to it!) If you keep on the standard waveforms and use just effects I believe with VC it will work ok.
Old 08.01.2009, 08:17 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeeley View Post
i remember trying to use the TI as a soundcard when i first bought it (quite a while ago now) to see if it would solve the latency issue, but didn't notice any marked improvement over my existing audio interface. in fact if i recall correctly, i was getting worse latency when using the TI's audio. anyway, i pretty much dropped the idea then and there, since i have other external gear that i need to be able to record and much prefer to use my trusty FW410 for such things.

thanks for the suggestion though - definitely an option for those who are using their TI without any other external gear.
Hi Paul,

I found that using my 828mk2 as the main interface and piping the TI through USB sounds slightly more latency than direct through the TI's Audio interface!! Don't know why - it's almost negligible though.

I've PM'd you Paul with a test I'd like you to run if you have time.

Kind rgrds

Mike
Old 09.01.2009, 03:22 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:

Thanks!
i've only having major note timing problems in MIDI standalone mode. so, if you're content only using the synth as a plug-in (with some latency), then you'll be relatively ok on that front, as long as you keep your voice count low. i would say you'd be safe running 2-3 patches with low polyphony/complexity at once. anything above that, and you're asking for trouble. adding big reverbs and long feedback delays will also take a fair chunk of available DSP power, further limiting what you can realistically pull off.

this is specific to the TI Desktop/KB/Polar. if you're thinking about a Snow, then you can cut the performance by half, as it's got half the DSP power as the Desktop/KB/Polar.

cheers,
Paul.
Old 09.01.2009, 06:20 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Smile

Thanks! paulkeeley!
Old 25.02.2009, 06:11 PM
Very mucho Newbie

access wrote me trying to weasle out of this.

"This "smearing" is what we have designed it to do"
oh man what a joke.