Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 27.07.2004, 11:46 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Some Questions about the Virus PowerCore? Help!

My questions about the Powercore version is:

1. How many arpeggation patterns does the PC virus have compared to the Virus C?
2. Can I use all the program sounds that are available to hardware users?
3. My main interest/concern in the PC virus is that if I use 4 different PCV patches in a song and save it and back it up on CDROM. Then later open that song and will it remember all the sounds I used and patterns etc?
Right now I have the Virus KB and I have to always write down what sound I used on a song etc. I am trying to avoid that.
4. Is there any difference in sound quality between the hardware and software versinos playing the same patch?
5. Lastly and most importantly is there any latency when recording or on playback? Or will it play as well as my other VST dynths like Atmosphere, and Aturia Moog V?
Thank you
Old 28.07.2004, 07:19 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

with the poco its digital all the way, no convertion so you dont lose any data.
Old 28.07.2004, 10:59 AM
Veteran
Veteran

1) 64 like the virusb/indigo (the virus powercore is based on the virusb/indigo so all the specs are pretty much the same apart from poly/output count)

2) yes u can use all the hardware patches, even ones created on the c version, although the virus powercore will ignore virus c specific params like eq and moog filter.

3) yes it has instant recall like any other vsti

4) some retards say they can hear a difference but ive a/bed and you cannot and if they can its REALLY minimal, you wouldnt be able to tell in a mix. Some say the a/d makes a big difference, I think not.....probably the same people that say the hardware b has magic the c version does not lol

5) depends on sequencer, all dsp card plugins (uad/powercore) etc add latency. if your host seq has global pdc then you dont have to worry, if it does you can use a latency controller plug that comes with the poco to counter it.

ten
Old 28.07.2004, 11:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
4) some retards say they can hear a difference but ive a/bed and you cannot and if they can its REALLY minimal, you wouldnt be able to tell in a mix. Some say the a/d makes a big difference, I think not.....probably the same people that say the hardware b has magic the c version does not lol

5) depends on sequencer, all dsp card plugins (uad/powercore) etc add latency. if your host seq has global pdc then you dont have to worry, if it does you can use a latency controller plug that comes with the poco to counter it.

ten
let me just add my 0.2%:

4) you don't need to be a retard to hear differences in between D/A converters. but you're right in assuming that it doesn't really matter in the mix (where you change the sound in a much more drastic fashion using EQ and compression). these days it's hard to find bad sounding D/A converters so i wouldn't worry to much

5) the latency introduced by the powercore is small in comparision to the latency of some instrument calculated on the host. in fact, the virus powercore is pretty much as snappy as the hardware version. on top of that, there is latency compensation - so once you've recorded a track the timing is perfect anyway. the thumb rule is: the lower the buffer size, the smaller the latency and the higher the load on the host CPU. i can play my virus powercore live with my powerbook as long as i use small buffers (128 or lower) with without feeling the delay to an extend where it feels unconfortable

- marc
Old 28.07.2004, 06:13 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Default hi

Thanks guys Marc you also answered my question about live playing.
On the access site comparison it says that for Simultaneous FX it has 0 compared to the others. What exactly does that mean? The others show 98 and 82. also I use Cubase SX2 which has supposed no latency problems.
also does anyone know the cost of multi lisecne?
Thanks
Old 28.07.2004, 09:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano
Thanks guys Marc you also answered my question about live playing.
On the access site comparison it says that for Simultaneous FX it has 0 compared to the others. What exactly does that mean? The others show 98 and 82. also I use Cubase SX2 which has supposed no latency problems.
also does anyone know the cost of multi lisecne?
Thanks
on the access site, the cell within the table is empty. it doesn't say zero. the count depends on the amounts of powercore cards in the system, for 4 parts/1 powercore it would be 21 or so.

the multi licence will be around ?299 + VAT

-marc
Old 28.07.2004, 10:32 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Is that $299 per dsp chip? Or for all?
Old 29.07.2004, 09:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Is that $299 per dsp chip? Or for all?
for all DSPs (on every card installed) of course

marc
Old 10.10.2004, 12:18 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Just double checking.... polyphony means voices right? And multitimbral means number of parts played back at once?

So regarding the PCVirus base model it's multitimbral = 4. That means that I can have 4 tracks of the virus max with different sounds. And when I am using all 4 tracks I only have 16 voices to share between them right?

So if I was hitting some heavy noted pads I could run out of polyphony right?

Am I understand this?
Old 10.10.2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
That means that I can have 4 tracks of the virus max with different sounds. And when I am using all 4 tracks I only have 16 voices to share between them right?
Yep, that's right.

Also, if you are running sounds with lot's of unison, you will run out of voices even quicker.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut