Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 03.11.2004, 07:06 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Software

Hi,

I am still a virus wannabe/newby (that is I am still looking for well priced new/used Virus C/KC) and a keen follower of the site.

I am curious reading some of the threads in here and at other forums, it amazes me how much software sequencing/recording, VST and effect plugins, editing etc most people profess to have. Call me naive, but surely people dont spend that much on software, I assume most people are using cracked versions. Thus far, in terms of software I am using only legitimate software e.g Cubase SE and sudio case plug ins , because I cant afford the SX2, 3, Nuendo, Sonar 3, 4 etc or the expensive plug ins. Am I my missing something ?

Regards
Aster
Old 03.11.2004, 10:24 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

I don't think you are missing anything.

Personally my software is legitimate. I must admit when I started doing computer music (19 years ago) I was using a cracked copy of Cubase on an Atari ST.

I used cracked software for the majority of these years whilst learning the ropes and experimenting. About 5 years ago I started buying legitimate versions ond slowly replaced all my cracked software and sample CD's etc...

Many people who start out can't afford to buy the real McCoy so they take the option of using cracked software. I bought the legit stuff as I felt obliged to after years of learning with non-legit copies.

I am not trying to make a point or stear you towards using cracks or legit stuff I am simply stating how I came to have the software I currently own (probably to ease my guilty conscience - confession time and all that).

But there are people out there with 100% legit software and yes it is expensive. I must have spent about ?10,000 on kit over the 19 years and I don't think that is much when said like that. The majority of my studio is software based and I have it insured for about ?7,000.

My purchased software:
Steinberg Cubase SL1.0, SL2.0, Virtual Guitarist, PPG Wave 2.0, Attack
Propellorheads Reason 2.0, 2.5
MOTU's Mach Five
Spectrasonics Atmosphere, Trilogy, Stylus 1 + RMX.
UAD-1 Plugins + Pultec Pro
TC Powercore Plugins + Assimilator + Filtrator

A whole host of Sample CD's (too many to name).

And of course the hardware bumps that insurance value up (not mentioned here as the topic is about software)
Old 03.11.2004, 10:53 AM
This forum member lives here

I dont condone the use of pirate copies of software!!!!!

That being said, my story is a similar one to that of 'MartynReid'.

Years ago, when I was just starting to get into computer based composing and recording, I was using a cracked version of Cubase and Reason. Needless to say, nothing really ran well, and I was plagued with problems/lack of experience.

A few years on and I wanted to get serious, as well as start to release and record commercially, and I took the steps of purchasing legitimate copies of the software I wanted, and got rid of the rest.

I now own Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, HALion VST sampler, TC Works Spark XL & Native Bundle, as well as a host of legit sample CD's. Yes, it did cost a lot, but if you are wanting to release music commercially, you need to own your software.

For a start, you get user support, updates/upgrades, and none of the dodgy goings on associated with badly cracked appz. And, it seems as I get older, my conscience grows bigger too, along with the feeling of guilt and social morality. Software is so damn expensive because so many damn people just use cracked versions!!!!!!!!!

How can I preach about something when I dont (Didnt) follow my own gospel? Well, I cant. It is up to the individual whether he/she feels they can live with robbing and stealing, which using cracked appz is! Somebody worked damn hard to make this stuff, and you think the world owes you a favor and you can use it without paying???? Sorry, I am not having a go at anyone here......just ranting

I dont think you should assume people are using cracked copies, I think you will find some do, but most dont.....

In the end, it is up to you...

Good luck!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 03.11.2004, 11:16 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I am not suggesting that cracked software is the way to go. It just amazes me how much software some people claim to have. I cannot see any reason to have Protools, Cubase, Reason, Live etc plug ins/effects galore, how much of this stuff do you actually use ?. In fact it would be overwhelming! I am using sampletank2 (licensed) as my main source for soft samples, which doesnt come with the best standards sounds, but has what I consider one of the best interfaces and the best way to organise all your samples. AND I still like my hardware!
Old 03.11.2004, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aster
I am not suggesting that cracked software is the way to go.
No worries! I hope what I said didnt sound like I was accusing you of anything I assure you I wasnt.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by aster
It just amazes me how much software some people claim to have. I cannot see any reason to have Protools, Cubase, Reason, Live etc plug ins/effects galore, how much of this stuff do you actually use ?
I think alot of these people have the financial support of their parents, which in my case is true, or have good jobs and no drug habbits to support

You have to remember that each piece of software will do something better than others. For example, I really dont like the way PT interfaces with Reason, so I use Cubase SX, but I would need to know how to use PT efficiently for future studio work as it is an industry standard, so therefor I may buy a Mbox, which would give me PT. Then, I may find that the new version of Logic, has this awesome feature where I can pool the resources of many macs as 1 giant processor, and for my studio I may want to use Logic, as well as HALion VST sampler, Reason, samplitude etc, because each different program offers something else.

Lets say the same thing but for synths. Now, I am not going to buy only one synth, I am going to buy many as each has something different to offer....same applies with software! And, all plugs are not created equal. The plug-ins that come with the software are usually average, so you go out and buy a UAD-1 or Powercore, or in my case, TC Native Bundle...

Im sure you are correct in assuming that some people are using cracked versions....it happens alot. also, dont forget, you cant run PT without the hardware, so if someone says they have PT doesnt mean they are a millionaire, they might have just spent a couple hundred on an Mbox, second hand copy of Cubase SX, a friend sold them thier copy of Reason for cheap, they still have an old version of cakewalk from years ago but still list it as in their arsenal to impress people??????

There are numerous reasons here, only one of them being the chance they are using pirate software......

Making more sense?????

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 04.11.2004, 05:10 AM

I'll keep it short by saying, I'm still using Cubase 5.0 VST32! Do I really need to say any more?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 04.11.2004, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
I'll keep it short by saying, I'm still using Cubase 5.0 VST32!
Dude.....it's 2004. Get with the times

Seriously???? Cant you get some cheap software action in Japan? You will be absolutely amazed at the advance in sound quality and functionality between VST and SX.....astonished even!!!!!

Beg, borrow, steal (actually, dont do that!), do what it takes.....it will change your life

Old 04.11.2004, 11:51 AM

Yeh, I've read many opinions regarding this actually. There seems to be a bit of a division regarding the sound of Nuendo, SX and VST. Personaly I can't comment too much as I have never put them side by side.

There definitely are good arguments to the 32bit float used in VST though.

An interesting little quote taken from here http://forum.nuendo.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/009580.html
"The only problem is that the VST engine uses a 32bit float, meaning that mixing large and small numbers could cause smaller signals to be lost due to mantissa priority confusion!"

The problem is I just I don't have the cash to buy new software and the new computer to run it .

Hopefully early next year/late this year I'll be spending.

EDIT: At least the 32 bit float of VST32 has more clarity than reason though. Hehehe
Old 04.11.2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
At least the 32 bit float of VST32 has more clarity than reason though.
Couldnt resist it could you??????

Hey, maybe the reason 'Reason' didnt sound so good to you was because you used it with VST32?

And by the way, just to clarify, I probably wouldnt use Reason if it werent able to use within SX.....by itself I dont think it is that crash hot.

Gosh, didnt realise there was such drama on the topic of SX/Nuendo sound quality! What a bunch of whingers......Thats whats wrong with this world, too much whinging and not enough living!!!!!

Old 04.11.2004, 10:45 PM

Hehehe, yeh couldn't resist.

No, I actually playd around with reason on a friend of a friends computer over here. Rewired or stand alone I still think it's not up to scratch. Computers and programming are getting there though.

Some interesting quotes in that thread from the Steinberg guy though. Still, they are arguing over nothing it seems hey.

People have to remember that there were many great songs made on the early software packages and when it comes down to it, most of us are making demos rather than pro-mastered products anyway. If you are making great tracks it will shine through the minor sound differences of the software itself (even reason ). If you are making good music, it will get noticed no matter what you are making it on (with-in limits of course).