Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.11.2010, 11:35 PM
New here
New here

Default Multiple Virus Controls?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums as i'm currently virusless, hoping to sort that out at christmas (:

My main question is in regards to the Virus Control. Basically i hate vst plugins, hands on is much more the way for me, and in paying £2000 i'm hoping to get as near to a one stop synthesis shop as possible. Now obviously with plugins you can load say 10 different Massive/FM8/Insert your favourite here, plugins as you like on 10 different tracks, layering up and editing the midi data as you go along. Is this possible with Virus Control, could i say create a bass and WITHOUT bouncing down, move onto another track and program a lead, then to a pad, etc...?

I have other questions too but i think most are pretty subjective, should i go for the polar or keyboard (i cannot play keys), how suitable is it for downtempo hip hop stuff, is the latency issue still an issue? Feel free to help advise on this stuff too if possible (:

Thank guys,
Glydez.
Old 22.11.2010, 03:07 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

You can only have a single plug-in for each Virus but it controls all of its tracks (4 for the Snow, 16 for the other models). So basically you open it up, redirect up to 16 MIDI tracks to its input and each one of those MIDI tracks will control 1 part of the Virus.
That said, using Total Integration will give you up to 3 stereo outputs via USB, so you won't be able to have separate external FX on every part unless you bounce them down separately. You will also have to take into account the fact that since all generation is done in the hardware it will not really behave like your other plug-ins. You'll have to use it in a compliant DAW with plug-in delay compensation (for the time it takes the audio to go through the USB into your DAW) and you may face slowdowns of the DSPs if you overload them with complex sounds which could lead to pops/clicks/voice stealing and other artifacts. Now in my experience i can get up to 8-10 sounds at once out of it (with a bit of realism in sound using, i.e. not using 10 very complex sounds all of which have very fast modulations)

It is a very good synth with lots of options, so I'd say it is suitable for most everything you want to do with it as long as you know its strengths and limitations and do want to work with it.

For the latency issue, it somewhat depends on your computer. Fast cpu and good soundcard supporting low latency ASIO drivers will give you a very little latency for playing, just like other software instruments - this requires a good setup following the guide that comes with the Virus software, so your mileage may vary. Just don't let the majority of internet comments turn you down, because according to most of them the Virus is an unstable, unusable piece of expensive junk you should just not buy. Of course, all the happy users don't go on the internet and make people who can't afford one all enraged saying "omg my virus works great and it's the best piece of equipment ever!!!11!".

Syntax:
- Buy it from a store which will accept you to return it if it doesn't work with your setup
- Read the manual a lot, it's not the clearest but it can help
- Use forums correctly, this one and the official one
- Steer clear of both fanboys and haters
- Love your Virus and it'll love you back.
Old 22.11.2010, 03:53 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the response,

When you say: You will also have to take into account the fact that since all generation is done in the hardware it will not really behave like your other plug-ins. You'll have to use it in a compliant DAW with plug-in delay compensation (for the time it takes the audio to go through the USB into your DAW) and you may face slowdowns of the DSPs if you overload them with complex sounds which could lead to pops/clicks/voice stealing and other artifacts.

Is this only with complex sounds and poor performance computers?

Do you know of any videos than demonstrate this process?

Thanks again.
Old 22.11.2010, 04:16 PM
New here
New here

Would anyone care to quickly run through how i would set it up in Logic, in order to create say 5 synth sounds, all playing different patches and notes from the same Virus.

Thank you guys.
Old 22.11.2010, 11:35 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

You can download the manuals for free even if you're not a registered user IIRC - those provide basic explanations.

The statement you quoted refers only to complex sounds and there's no computer involved: it will behave that way even in standalone, directly connected to an amp, as mostly every other DSP based synth with dynamic voice count will. Simple sounds (there's also a meter on the display to help you) will probably have no noticeable problems even using 10 parts at once.

To do what you requested you would:
- Load the Virus Control AU plug-in
- Create 5 or more MIDI tracks pointed towards the Virus Control's MIDI port, with progressive channel number; each track will control the same numbered part
- Create at least an audio track to monitor and record the sound from Virus Control's virtual (usb) audio outputs
- Go back to the VC Gui to do the actual synth programming and part assigning, while/before/after writing your MIDI notes and events in the corresponding MIDI tracks.

There's a tutorial song for most DAWs that comes with the Virus software suite and some documentation on how to set up your system correctly. You can find other answers on the official forum at www.virus.info/forum/ where there is a section for non-owners and where people who actually use Logic can explain better than me