Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.09.2017, 07:53 AM
New here
New here

Default Can I mute tracks in a multi?

Hi
Ive been gigging with a TI desktop for a few months and have made some epic multis. I'm wondering if there is a way to mute-unmute tracks in the multi so I can keep layering sounds without menu diving.

Whilst Im here is there a way to tell how much CPU you are using in a multi? Ive noticed when I layer to many sounds sometimes some notes will kind of conk out, with no tail. Other times there is some digital distortion but I wonder if that is more volume related.
Old 26.09.2017, 10:09 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachizm View Post
Ive been gigging with a TI desktop for a few months and have made some epic multis. I'm wondering if there is a way to mute-unmute tracks in the multi so I can keep layering sounds without menu diving.
Not directly on the Virus. If using a good master keyboard, you can set up the Virus use different MIDI channels for each part and then set up the layering in your master keyboard. Then you can mute channels on your master keyboard either by deactivating the layer or by sending MIDI CCs to the Virus.

Quote:
Whilst Im here is there a way to tell how much CPU you are using in a multi?
There is no way to see the overall CPU load for a Multi.
You have to listen to your sound and check if you hear voice stealing or if percussive sounds start to lose some of their character.

Quote:
Ive noticed when I layer to many sounds sometimes some notes will kind of conk out, with no tail. Other times there is some digital distortion but I wonder if that is more volume related.

What you describe as "digital distortion" happens if the volume of the patch and the volume of the Multi's Part are too hot. The Virus TI has a very powerful EQ which settings can contribute as well.
Old 03.10.2017, 07:40 AM
New here
New here

thanks for the reply, I'll start finding out how to set that up with my controller, now I hope saving $200 by getting a Behringer u-control instead of a Roland A-800 doesn't come back to bite me.

I've found that the distortion is coming from some of the individual patches. One called Etheral SV for instance, if I get too dramatic with that patch it distorts. I mean it is a huge and detailed sounding pad. I'm assuming it's because it builds on itself if you prolong chords, so is that a volume induced distortion or a CPU distortion?

Is there an internal limiter on these?
Old 08.10.2017, 10:18 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
I've found that the distortion is coming from some of the individual patches. One called Etheral SV for instance, if I get too dramatic with that patch it distorts. I mean it is a huge and detailed sounding pad. I'm assuming it's because it builds on itself if you prolong chords, so is that a volume induced distortion or a CPU distortion?
I tried that patch. If you turn up the Part volume fully, then it will easily distort when playing wide spread six note chords. It does not distort if you load it in Virtual Control and leave the volume slider for the Part volume at 100.

You simply run out of audio headroom with loud and rich sounds like that.

Quote:
Is there an internal limiter on these?
No, there's no limiter. It's also stated somewhere in the Virus manual, that the Virus is made to use the available full dynamic range.
Old 28.10.2017, 01:27 AM
New here
New here

Ahh so its volume headroom that distorts it. Not cpu. Great to know, thanks
Old 13.11.2017, 09:19 AM
New here
New here

Still trying to figure out if the distortion is cpu or volume related. It kicks in when i play about 5 notes and the patch builds on itself. Strangely, when i adjust the volume of the patch in edit mode it makes the distortion less noticeable the louder the volume. It drowns it out
Old 13.11.2017, 06:12 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Can you provide a recording?