Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 26.01.2013, 04:11 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Thanks Robert!

my soundcloud page
Old 26.01.2013, 07:03 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
Thanks Robert!
You are welcome and sorry I had not gooten around to re-reply and give kudos where warranted! Yes, that reminded me of some of the experiments I had of playing open filter types in kind of way I have seen people use a T-Reonator, but of course with Virus or my newly acquired Waldorf Q! Nice! I am yet to set-up a SoundCloud account but once am ready have bookmarked your account and will make a comment once joined. Being I am ex-military, and privacy issues are pretty high for me on the list, Facebook is something that I never warmed-up to idea of as critical thinking tells me sharing that much or leaving one's self open could easily be used in a scarey way by other's in an information/identity theft way--otherwise a comment would have been left by that means!
Robert
Old 01.02.2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Attempted to linearise the curve moreso tonight.

Learned a few things.

The first experiment, initialised a patch, and set the Decay knob to zero, Sustain Level to maximum, and used the (Sustain)Time knob to simulate decay, instead of the Decay knob itself. Believe it or not, the slope of the Sustain(Time) is also a logarithmic curve, and is not a linear slope (although it appears a teensy bit more linear than the actual proper Decay curve)!

So I thought to myself, if the Decay curve isn't linear, the SustainTime curve isn't linear, what IS linear?...

... A falling sawtooth waveform.

Re-initialised a patch again. Then turned Decay to zero, SustainLevel also to zero.

Then chose an LFO, selected a sawtooth LFO waveform for it, put the LFO into EnvMode (one shot), made sure the LFO is in poly mode (so a new LFO is used per voice, as needed), and set the LFO Assign destination as AmpSustain with the amount set to maximum (+63).

The LFO 'Rate' effectively controls the length of the decay hereon.

Worked well, until I played several notes in quick succession, the LFO glitches up and doesn't retrigger new notes correctly, even though the LFO is in Poly mode, and even with TrigPhase set to 1 (to make sure the LFO is firing from the start [the top] of the sawtooth).

Did a bit more testing and I found it only farks up when you hold down one note and then play another note elsewhere.

So, it appears I've found my first bug on the Virus (Indigo)!

However! Using the ModMatrix to assign LFO > AmpSustain, instead of selecting AmpSustain from within the LFO section itself, works properly, as it should do, with no LFO poly issues or glitches.

It's still not a perfectly linear slope, but you lose the rapid fall off at the beginning and the half-life of the waveform is more towards where you want it to be, along with a more consistent linear fade-out at the very end.

And it's yet another different curve to add to your synthesis toolbox (compared to modulating FiltSustain by FltEnv, or AmpSustain by AmpEnv, earlier in the thread).

BTW, for the above screengrab from Wavelab, I modulated the Amp envelope - not the Filter envelope - as it's easier to get a visual representation of an envelope when merely recording signal levels as opposed to a filter sweep (furthermore, audio frequencies themselves aren't linear).
Old 01.02.2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Hat's off!
Old 01.02.2013, 01:55 PM
Administrator

The ultimate would be if you could draw your own LFO vector waveforms (from within Virus Control, when in the studio) and add them to a user LFO-waveform preset library to choose from whenever you wish.

How great would that be.

You could make all sorts of curvy/bezier/blippy/steppy/scratchy/dubby/inverted/warped LFO goodness. Maybe even modulate between them (akin to wavetabling).

Same with oscillator waveforms.

Access, are you listening?
Old 01.02.2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I can see plenty of uses for that, Massive sort of became famous for allowing people to combine pre-designed curves mostly.

BTW, do you know where they got those waveforms from? I think every Virus user must have a few of them as their favourites - and it's one of the best things in the Virus, still today... Blofeld has envelopes that can loop, but who needs that when you have such versatile LFOs, right? What would also be a bliss would be the rate going into audio range (and have those available for more FM madness of course)...

Couple this suggestions with some other form of interaction with it, and you'd have the KILLER
Old 01.02.2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
You could make all sorts of curvy/bezier/blippy/steppy/scratchy/dubby/inverted/warped LFO goodness. Maybe even modulate between them (akin to wavetabling).

Same with oscillator waveforms.

Access, are you listening?
wavetable LFOs would be new eheh... I subscribe this 100%
Old 01.02.2013, 02:27 PM
Pro
Pro

Would kill for drawable LFO forms in the TI.

And re: above - pretty smart cookie ye are!

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 01.02.2013, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
What would also be a bliss would be the rate going into audio range (and have those available for more FM madness of course)...
Always wished for faster LFOs on the the Virus for modulation purposes. They also tend to alias a lot at the extremes.

Incidently I wondered how fast the LFOs actually were in my Indigo the other night, after reading that the Prophet 12 LFOs went up to 4KHz, and after doing a quick test the Indigo appeared to only manage a mere 93Hz (aka 0.093KHz) at the maximum rate of 127. That said, the Korg Radias can only match a similar amount (100Hz, aka 0.1KHz).

I wonder how Access could avoid compromising classic Virus sounds if they ever decided to update the LFOs to allow them to run at a faster rate in new Virus releases. I mean, if they simply updated their LFOs to be able to run faster, both the compatibility and character of previous patches would be broken making them sound very different. It's almost like a straitjacket for them.

The only way I thought about pulling it off intuitively was if they could allow you to use two sets of ranges via a sub menu, so the 'classic' rate-range is always enabled and in use (from 0.01Hz to 93Hz or whatever it is), but you can change to a new, higher rate-range via a switch option in the menu (0.01Hz to 4KHz). That said, you're still restricted to 128 discrete values (regardless of interpolation), so the gaps between each step would be coarse given the range is much larger. You could type in a discrete value via Virus Control, but it wouldn't be MIDI friendly (i.e. achievable using the 128 midi steps available).

Or maybe you could choose from several ranges, such as 0.01-93Hz for classic mode, 90-500Hz for mid-range mode, and 0.5-4KHz for high-speed mode. Bit of a bummer if you want to sweep from 0.01Hz to 4KHz in one fell swoop though.

I wonder how DaveSmith implemented such a large range for MIDI purposes. His knobs might be high resolution, but MIDI isn't.

I digress! (Again)
Old 01.02.2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Curious, how did you perform this test, for the LFO's rate?

They could do it like they did for the oscillators: have the classic ones or the new broad range ones, with user definable waves in those eheh