Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 23.01.2009, 10:56 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totty View Post
Around 2 grand in the UK is way too much for a Synth like this, I know it's not Access's fault, but my TI Polar was 1500 pounds, there isn't enough new in my opinion to warrant another 4 - 7 hundred quid, recession or no recession!

Guess my TI isn't going anywhere soon...
You have it bad over there too huh? I was lucky to keep my job. Half of my co-workers were laid off. We lost a lot of cool people.

The TI mk2 doesn't seem that much better anyway. 25% more processing power. What does that mean? More voices? I'm sure that with future OS updates that extra processing power will outshine the TI mk1 and it will reach it's plateau. The mk1 is still an awesome machine. I'll think I'll hold out for the TI mk3.

Old 23.01.2009, 11:22 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Yes it isn't good. They're saying it's officially a recession today!

Still got a job, just need to make that hit record now!
Old 23.01.2009, 12:34 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The price here in Australia has increased for the ti2 aswell, and there is no stock of the ti1 anywhere.
I bought my polar in august 2008 for $3900, they want $4700 for a polar now.
I think it's just the case that after a product has been on the market for a while (ala august 200 that they reduce the price. I really dought access have changed anything more than what marc suggested, ie using lighter metals and redesigning the logic board for 25% more power, plus os3.
I bet the ti1 was the equivalent of $4700 back in 2005 when it was first released.
Like marc says, it's not access that has made the ti2 more expensive, I speculate that it has something to do with the distributors in each country....
Old 23.01.2009, 12:35 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Yes it isn't good. They're saying it's officially a recession today!

Still got a job, just need to make that hit record now!
Don't we all.

Old 23.01.2009, 08:23 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Totty, if I can assume you currently have a Polar and it works then why do you want a TI2? Gear lust is a fine thing and I have been as guilty as anyone, but the TI2 line is a hardware overhaul without any feature difference. Probably more about lower production cost, changes on the motherboard because of component supplies, improved reliability from things learnt from the TI1, updated looks...

Say you buy a 2.2GHz dual core laptop and 2 months later it comes out in 2.6GHz and also a higher price. Your 2.2GHz laptop doesn't need to be replaced. Say you bought a TB-303 in '82 then complained that they hadn't implemented FM: 10 years later it was prized more than any synth in that decade's current production.

The TI1 is not obsolete,
B
Old 23.01.2009, 08:56 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post
Totty, if I can assume you currently have a Polar and it works then why do you want a TI2? Gear lust is a fine thing and I have been as guilty as anyone, but the TI2 line is a hardware overhaul without any feature difference. Probably more about lower production cost, changes on the motherboard because of component supplies, improved reliability from things learnt from the TI1, updated looks...

Say you buy a 2.2GHz dual core laptop and 2 months later it comes out in 2.6GHz and also a higher price. Your 2.2GHz laptop doesn't need to be replaced. Say you bought a TB-303 in '82 then complained that they hadn't implemented FM: 10 years later it was prized more than any synth in that decade's current production.

The TI1 is not obsolete,
B
Hi LivePsy,

Of course, I agree, technology depreciated the second you pay for it, and then it only gets worse. Only yesterday did I bring my Roland XV5080 down from the loft and have a blast, it's still great, despite the age and value.

I am extremely grateful to Access for being mature about it and releasing OS3 to everyone, what a great gesture. I cannot think of another company that would do this. I'm just trying to work out what the future is of the TI2 if I did sell my existing Polar. What I'm saying is that I can't see enough benefit. Saying that, I'm sure i'm not Access's primary market. Yes I have GAS at the mo, who wouldn't with a new synth out and all. I would buy a TI2 if I felt that there wouldn't be a major overhaul in a year - but I guess that's the nature of the beast!

On the computer, thats why I sunk loads of cash in my MacPro 8 core. No it won't be the best for much longer, but it's so powerful, I'm hoping it'll last a good 4-5 years.

All the best

Michael
Old 23.01.2009, 09:16 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I bought a Santa Rosa macbook pro 2 weeks before the refreshed MBP with faster CPU, larger HDD and $100 cheaper came out, so I'm familiar with obsolesence. But the fact remains its very capable and I love it.

I bought a V-Synth at a fairly good price about 2 years before they were discontinued, and hate it but after reading up on a Nord Wave am going to force myself to be creative with the V-Synth. We're always looking for something new but not going to the effort to build a patch from scratch, find out how a particular sound works, and try the same patch on a different synth. Its hours and hours of time wasting, but its learning about sounds and how to get them from the gear we have, not the gear we want.

B
Old 23.01.2009, 09:26 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Totally, I'm with you mate.

I am very grateful for what I have, and I know that I am guilty of"chasing the rainbow". The amazing thing is, years ago I had so much less, but my creativity was so much higher. Production was lower, but my ideas were far more focussed with less gear.

But I'm still interested in new gear
Old 25.01.2009, 03:11 PM
New here
New here

Thumbs up

Stateside, Sweetwater sound has posted their pricing…

Virus TI2 Keyboard = $2,865.97
Virus TI2 Polar = $2,865.97
Virus TI2 Module = $2,090.97

That's a little less than their price on the previous TI. I think the Kb/Polar were going for $2,975.97, and the Module was $2,165.97. So that's a $110 and $75 difference, respectively.
Old 25.01.2009, 04:37 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Totally, I'm with you mate.

I am very grateful for what I have, and I know that I am guilty of"chasing the rainbow". The amazing thing is, years ago I had so much less, but my creativity was so much higher. Production was lower, but my ideas were far more focussed with less gear.

But I'm still interested in new gear
I totally agree with you. Other than improving sound quality, most of my recent investments have merely killed my ideas and effort. I love my Virus and V-synth GT to bits and pieces, but creativity seems to be fading away
But, maybe thats just me...
________
teen videos

Last edited by Splat! : 29.01.2011 at 10:33 AM.